dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ViRGE
join:2002-10-25

ViRGE

BEFCMU10 BitTorrent Problems(Linksys Tech Reponse?

As other people have been reporting(»BitTorrent problems w/ Linksys modem? ), the BEFCMU10 cable modem seems to have problems with having BitTorrent run through it, seizing up whenever there's a lot of connections. If a tech would be so kind to answer a couple of quick questions, does LinkSys know about this(and have they fixed it in the Firmware), and if so, are we at the mercy of our cable providers to send the updated firmware? I'm basically trying to figure out if I should be talking to Linksys about the problem, or if I need to be talking to my cable company(Comcast). Thanks.
[text was edited by author 2003-06-15 01:31:56]
kennz3
join:2003-05-24
nirvana

kennz3

sounds like a connection problem on your end.... check your pings.. if they are high or low...

DarkStarPDX
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
join:2000-10-01
Hillsboro, OR

DarkStarPDX to ViRGE

to ViRGE
Actually, I own the exact same modem and I have the exact same problem. After a while, I have to power cycle my modem to get my internet connection back...

--Chris ^_^
ViRGE

ViRGE

It's definately not a connection problems; pings check out fine, and I can otherwise max out my downstream/upstream bandwidth via other sources. However, when BitTorrent is used, it goes to hell.
ViRGE

ViRGE

I don't suppose we can get a LinkTech response?

LinkTech
Former Linksys Tech
join:2002-07-02
Mission Viejo, CA

LinkTech

What type of ethernet cards are you using?

fastcarr
@vnburn01.mi.comcast.

fastcarr to ViRGE

Anon

to ViRGE
I'll jump in here since I'm having the same problem.

Using Nforce2 built-in Ethernet port on main computer, PCCHIPs ethernet port on my mini-server and an Intel 10/100 Pro on my Sony noteboook. How's that for a big range? I'll reiterate, THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE COMPUTER OR THE ROUTER, (loud enough for ya?). I can run Bittorrent on any of the machines and the cable modem WILL crash. The cable modem and only the cable modem crashes, I can still access all other computers on my network at full speed and with no problems. Unplug the modem, plug it back in and I can then access the internet just fine until it crashes because of faulty firmware exposed by the BitTorrent application (!)

Steve

DarkStarPDX
Hillsboro, OR

DarkStarPDX

I agree, I have used a variety of routers, direct connections, PCI network cards, ISA, laptops and other hookups and have found that the only thing that is the same is the MODEM and that we are downloading using BitTorrent. If I use a different modem the problem goes away and if I download using HTTP of FTP the problem doesn't occur.

--Chris ^_^

jansm38
Vn800-B
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
Blackwood, NJ

jansm38 to ViRGE

Premium Member

to ViRGE
Maybe slightly off-topic but could be related in some way. What happens with me is with the BEFCMU10 and the SX14 router my throughput stinks, 1.0Mb from newsgroups. The SX14 with an RCA modem was fine as well. FTP, HTTP, etc are not affected by the CMU10 / SX14 combo - they work fine it's only downloads from News that have a problem.

So what's causing the problem? The modem or the router? I've tried 1.44.8 firmware on the router and MTU is correct at 1500.

BEFCMU10 / BEFSX14 / NEWS = BAD
BEFCMU10 / BEFSR11 / NEWS = GOOD
RCA / BEFSX14 / NEWS = GOOD
RCA / BEFSR11 / NEWS = GOOD
BEFCMU10 / BEFSX14 / ANY OTHER PROTO = GOOD
jansm38

jansm38

Premium Member

CORRECTION: The throughput from newsgroups should have said (less than) 100Kbps and throughput with the other "good" configs is (greater than) 1Mbps.
ViRGE

ViRGE to DarkStarPDX

to DarkStarPDX
I can confirm what DarkStar is saying. I've tried hooking it up to directly to my Intel Pro/100 S, a Netgear FA311, and my Linksys BEFW11S4 WAP/Router, and it's still happened. The moment I replace the BEFCMU10 with my spare Moto SB4200, the problem stops.
theos2
join:2001-03-13
South Weymouth, MA

theos2

another confirmation. My Linksys modem does the same only when using Torent.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to ViRGE

Premium Member

to ViRGE
Might not be releasing ports or has a buffer memory leak in the firmware.

wwdubbia
join:2002-06-03
Clinton, NY

wwdubbia

Just want to jump on board on this topic. I am also locking up with my BEFCMU10 modem using Bit Torrent.

One thing I've read, and have been unable to figure out, is adjusting the cap on the bit torrent application. Someone said I should be able to tweak that to 5kb below the max and that would allow for enough headroom to prevent the lockup. If anyone knows how to do that, I'd appreciate some info. I'm using the program at this URL: »www.cen.uiuc.edu/~halm/t ··· ent.html
[text was edited by author 2003-06-28 11:15:59]
theos2
join:2001-03-13
South Weymouth, MA

theos2 to LinkTech

to LinkTech
From what I see, I don't think the type of ethernet card used matters, in my case I am using Linksys WUSB11, with BEFW11S4, and Ver.2 of Linksys modem, on an NForce2 Chipset.

And it just did it again. It looks like it just stops sending. the rest of the lights look fairly normal, connection still there with ISP, but cannot send anything.
[text was edited by author 2003-06-28 22:52:00]
Scrith
join:2003-02-27
Redwood City, CA

Scrith

I'm also having the problem. Like a couple of other people here, I'm using the NForce2 Chipset (Asus A7N8X Deluxe, which is one of the most popular motherboards right now). But this motherboard has two ethernet connections available...the nVidia one, and a 3Com one as well, and I've had the problem on both of them (by the way, according to my testing, the nVidia network connection is a bit faster than the 3Com one).
SirOssis
join:2003-07-09
Woodbridge, VA

SirOssis to ViRGE

to ViRGE
Same problem here BEFCMU10 locking up and needs to be restarted everytime BIT TORRENT is used.

Modem needs to be reset then the IP address renewed.

NIC is a 3com 3c90x.

I have noticed that bit torrent upload speeds get above the upload cap set by my ISP not sure if this is a problem or not.
pgm_01
join:2003-06-16
Preston, CT

pgm_01

I have the same problem as everyone else. My ISP is Adelphia, I have a 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI network card and a BEFSX41 Linksys Router connected to the BEFCMU10. After 8 to 15 min using BitTorrent it hangs and I have to reset the modem. It is making downloading Redhat 9 very difficult BitTorrent gets to around 1 megabits/sec when it hangs, however my connection is usually close to 2 megabits so it is not reaching full download capacity yet.

DarkStarPDX
Hillsboro, OR

DarkStarPDX

Well, I'm glad that the consistant item in all of our issues is the BEFCMU10 Linksys Cable Modem... We should start calling tech support about this...

--Chris ^_^
PKP4
join:2002-02-14
Woodbridge, VA

PKP4 to ViRGE

to ViRGE

Re: BEFCMU10 BitTorrent Problems(Linksys Tech Repo

I'm having the same trouble here with my BEFCMU10 v.2 ... When I use Bittorrent, I wind up having to powercycle the modem. I've tried all sorts of things to fix the problem:

- Connected it directly (usually I'm go through a Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2 router)
- Bought a brand new BEFCMU10 (I was able to return it so no money lost)
- Tried different 2 different NIC cards. (One being the LNE100TX and the other being some old 3COM card.)
- Instead of using the Linksys drivers for the LNE100TX, tried using the ADMtek drivers. These have been used by others to fix the problems of locking up and BSOD when using Bittorrent.

Unfortunately the problem is still there after all that. I remember using my Surfboard modem I never had these problems. Sigh... I'm going to go and talk to Linksys some. Until then, I hope someone comes up with and posts a fix.
grazzit
join:2003-08-01
West Lafayette, IN

grazzit

Same problem as everyone else, using a befcmu10 cable modem, a befsr41 router switch combo connected to a linksys ethernet card. I've been using a program called netlimiter to throttle the speed down and it seems to work that way, but I'm sacrificing about 2/3 of my speed to make sure I don't lose connection.
PKP4
join:2002-02-14
Woodbridge, VA

PKP4

Yep, I haven't tried it, but that seems to be the only "solution", grazzit. At least, according to the FAQ here: »btfaq.com/serve/cache/37.html

It'd be nice if Linksys would just actually care and update their software.
UNsane581
join:2003-07-28
Miami, FL

UNsane581 to ViRGE

to ViRGE

Re: BEFCMU10 BitTorrent Problems(Linksys Tech Reponse?

I'm having this same problem, but I'm not using Torrent, so I'm not sure what's causing it. It does seem to happen most often when I'm checking my mail or visiting a site that's getting a lot of hits at the time.

'E

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI

scarney to ViRGE

Premium Member

to ViRGE

Re: BEFCMU10 BitTorrent Problems(Linksys Tech Repo

sorry to get off topic but, what is Bit Torrent?.

horizontaleight
@medfrd01.nj.comcast.

horizontaleight to ViRGE

Anon

to ViRGE

Re: BEFCMU10 BitTorrent Problems(Linksys Tech Reponse?

I too am experiencing the same problem... but I have noticed this far before BitTorrent. Anyone running this modem, try running a port scan on a machine. I ran a complete scan using Shadow Security Scanner on one of my computers at work, and my modem crashes. Its almost as if whenever there are too many threads open, the modem crashes... I am about ready to throw this modem out the window. If anyone has any tech response or answer to this problem, please let me know... I am really looking to correct the problem at the hardware level, rather than capping my BitTorrent speed. (Please note that as I clicked preview on this post, my modem went down from BitTorrent... thanks Linksys)
gaffers
join:2003-06-23
Allendale, MI

gaffers to ViRGE

to ViRGE
I suggest you replace your modem. The reason I say this is that I had a BEFCMU10 v2 and a BEFSX41 for almost a year connected to Charter Pipeline. I constantly had connection issues while running eMule/Overnet/xMule (also uses a lot of connections). My internet connection would sometimes stay up for a couple hours and sometimes die within 30secs. After reading this board I decided to replace the BEFSX41 with a Zyxel 2X. This solved about 90% of the crashes even running 1.44.11t. The crashes did not stop completely though. Recently (within the past 2 weeks) I decided to replace the BEFCMU10 with a Motorola SurfBoard 5100. I have been running Overnet 24/7 since installing the new modem and it has not gone done even once.

That is why I suggest you should replace the modem.
If you’re looking for modem suggestions here is a good thread:
»[cable] Whats a good stable cable modem?
I really suggest the SurfBoard 5100. It is relatively cheap ($50 on pricegrabber.com), it is much more stable than the BEFCMU10, and I have been very impressed with it since installing it.

When I say "go down" I mean the modem receive light would blink but never the send light. The internet would be completely unresponsive. I would have to reset / unplug the modem to get the internet to work again. Also, after dealing with both the BEFCMU10 and the BEFSX41 I have decided to never again purchase a linksys product.

-Gaffers

Tekdemon
@rochester.edu

Tekdemon to ViRGE

Anon

to ViRGE
Hey guys, I've been having almost this IDENTICAL problem except without the Linksys cable modem!!!

My realtek NIC(integrated unfortunately into my laptop) dies whenever I run bittorrent and this appears to occur very quickly if the download is fast but occurs pretty much no matter what...

So I'm getting the feeling that this might be the same type of problem, except on a NIC!!!(that firmware memory leak could easily explain why it dies faster on faster downloads!) Plus it can only be fixed by power cycling...except since it's part of my laptop this means rebooting...the stupid laptop can't even go into hibernate because the card locks up.

I'm pretty pissed off right now since this is a new laptop and you wouldn't think there'd be such a stupid problem. But of course, I partially blame Compaq for being too cheap to use a reliable NIC solution and instead going for a Realtek chipset...which is plagued with numerous other problems.

sulphur_anonymous
@mpoweredpc.net

sulphur_anonymous to ViRGE

Anon

to ViRGE
A POINT TO NOTE PEOPLE
I've spent the last 4 hours doing google searches and found piles of info (including here) on this topic. what you all must realize is that it's not necessarily you brand of router.

My router is a Netgear RP 614 (firmware 4.14) and it hangs frozen solid after a couple hours (or minutes) when using bit torrent (no other programs apply here such as kazaa)

the only thing I've can say after all my research, translating german pdf files of people with similar BT issues, and posting on forums i've never posted on: BIT TORRENT LOCKS UP YOUR ROUTER. i have to pull the plug on it and put it back in for it to work again.

FireIsFun888
@attbi.com

FireIsFun888

Anon

Ok, Go to the 192.168.1.1 thing that is setup. Then u go to advanced, fowarding, then type BT for name of application (just for reference) then type 6881 for the first then 6889 for the second Ext.Port. check TCP for the protocool, then type ur ip adress (go to Start-Run and type cmd, then type ipconfig for ur ip adress) then check enable. bittorrent should now work

anonymous sulphur
@mpoweredpc.net

anonymous sulphur

Anon

yep, did that already. the fun part is that bit torrent could connect before i did that - and port forwarding it didn't prevent the lockups from happening. I'm in the same boat as i was before.