uniqs
share rss forum feed

bmn
? ? ?
Premium,ExMod 2003-06
join:2001-03-15
hiatus

1 recommendation

Bypassing the outgoing SMTP (port 25) block...

This method of bypassing the block on port 25 requires that you have a server which is capable of the following:

1. SSL or TLS
2. Capable of running SMTP with SSL or TLS.
3. A mail client capable of using SMTP over SSL (I'll cover Outlook 2000 here).

Okay, here we go...

1. Open the "Accounts" options screen (in the Tools menu) in Outlook 2000 and double click on the account you need external SMTP access to via Cox.
2. Go to the "Servers" tab and enter the proper servers for SMTP and POP/IMAP (use IMAP, its better).
3. Go to "Advanced" tab and under the "Server Port Numbers" section, enter port 465 for SMTP and check the SSL check box. You can also do the same thing for the incoming server (IMAP over SSL is on port 993, but I forgot the port for POP3 over SSL).
4. Click okay, close all the way out of Outlook for good measure and restart Outlook... SMTPS will now work and you should be able to send mail through your own email servers.

Any questions, please let me know and I will answer them in the order in which they were received.

And of course, if Cox breaks SMTPS, I'm walking right on over to the big, bad, evil telco and getting DSL... Oh wait, I'm moving soon anyway.
--
root@localhost# cat /var/log/messages

bmn
? ? ?
Premium,ExMod 2003-06
hiatus

1 recommendation

Steps for Netscape 7

1. Open Netscape and go to the "Mail and Newsgroups" module.
2. Go to "Mail and Newsgroups Account Settings" in the "Edit" drop down menu.
3. Go to the bottom of the list in a section called "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" and you will see your SMTP server settings.
4. Check your server name and make sure its set to use authentication if needed (a properly secured server will).
5. In the port option, put 465 and select the "Always" option under "Use Secure Connection (SSL)".
6. Click okay, restart Netscape and you have SMTP via your mail server again.

I'll post more mail programs slowly...
--

edit:typo

[text was edited by author 2003-07-08 20:14:26]

inTulsa
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Good Info! Similar illustration for Myrealbox with Outlook Express is: »Myrealbox without port 25
Also in that thread is a post mentioning that Stunnel may be used for email clients that do not support SMTPS.

Unfortunately sending through Yahoo $$ubscription SMTP no longer works. Yahoo's mail server doesn't support SMTPS or any port other than 25. But they seemed genuinely interested in adding that feature when I discussed this Cox blockage with them.

charterengr
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-09
Englewood, CO
reply to bmn
Thanks for posting badmagicnumber.

FCKGW

join:2003-01-07
Eureka, CA
reply to bmn

Re: Bypassing the outgoing SMTP (port 25) block...

If your mail client doesn't do SSL, try Stunnel.

Start it with the command "stunnel.exe -c -d 25 -r mail.server:465" (no quotes, and remove the .exe on *nix). Make a shortcut to it and put it in your StartUp group if you're on Windows. Set your mail client to use localhost as the outgoing mail server and you not only have SSL, but can bypass the stupid port 25 block!

As long as you're doing this for SMTP, you might as well do it for POP3 or IMAP as well, since you send a password in plain text with those. Just replace 25 with 110 (for POP3) or 143 (for IMAP), and replace 465 with 995 (for POP3) or 993 (for IMAP). Now your password is sent encrypted. B)

There's some more examples listed on the Stunnel website.

I've been using this with Calypso since the port 25 outgoing block started. I started running Stunnel on all my machines, but now I just have it on my Linux file server. It listens for incoming SMTP and POP3 connections and forwards them on to my webhost's mail server over SSL. Calypso is set to use my file server as the SMTP and POP3 server, so all my mail is tunneled over Stunnel.
--
Keyboard error or no keyboard present.
Press F1 to continue.

Anon00
Premium
join:2001-09-25
USA
kudos:1
reply to inTulsa

Re: Steps for Netscape 7

Good to hear that inTulsa. Kinda sucks that I pay Yahoo! for pop3 and smtp features and Cox blocks the SMTP port. I can understand there reasoning though.

inTulsa
Premium

Send Yahoo a request for SMTPS, they're very good at listening to what their cu$tomers want. The more requests they get the sooner it may happen.
    mail-premium-support@yahoo-inc.com

I'm not sure they'd trust premium email from the Cox SMTP. You might have to send it via their webmail interface.

[text was edited by author 2003-07-09 00:09:05]

FCKGW

join:2003-01-07
Eureka, CA
inTulsa: I'm not sure they'd trust premium email from the Cox SMTP. You might have to send it via their webmail interface.

Yahoo doesn't have to trust it; it doesn't go through them. Outgoing mail through Cox SMTP goes from your computer, to region.smtp.cox.net, to the destination mail server. All that identifies the message as being from a Yahoo account are the From and Reply-to header fields. All Yahoo will notice if you use Cox SMTP is that you have stopped sending mail (since your outgoing mail won't go through Yahoo), but still receive it.

I'm not trying to deter you from trying to get SMTPS support, though. The more you can encrypt, the better. More importantly, try to get POP3S support, since you send a username and password when checking mail.
--
Keyboard error or no keyboard present.
Press F1 to continue.

inTulsa
Premium
Good points, I guess you're right. But I'd still rather be able to use authenticated SMTP which is not available by going through Cox's forced use of their archaic SMTP facilities.

It's somewhat like US Postal mail. For most things sent by most people an anonymous stamp is just fine. But for some things it's better to use registered, certified, or FedEx.

But now Cox is forcing us to use their SMTP even though it's not right for everyone and not suitable for everything. People will at least occasionally want/need better alternatives.

Blocking Yahoo is silly anyway. Customer-originated spam & virus infections was stated as the reason for blocking port-25. But nobody could send through Yahoo's SMTP without authentication (and $ubscription) so it should be on the white-list of exceptions like the .edu & other sites.

But this side-trip strays from the main topic which is to identify and highlight alternatives for overcoming the port block.

bmn
? ? ?
Premium,ExMod 2003-06
hiatus

1 recommendation

reply to bmn

Steps for Mail (Mac OSX)

1. Under the "Mail" drop down menu, go to "Preferences".

2. You should see you accounts listed when the window opens.

3. Highlight the account you want to edit, click "Edit" and then click options under outgoing mail server...

4. Input the mail server's name that you want to use in the "Outgoing Mail Server:" text field.

5. Enter 465 as the port in the "Server Port" field and check the check box next to the "Use Secure Sockets Layer" option...

6. If need be, select your authentication method, enter you user name and password and then click "Ok"

7. Click "Ok" again and then close the preferences window...

8. Exit and restart mail for good measure...
--