MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX
kudos:1

3 recommendations

Technique! Week 1

Welcome to our first technique thread. The goal of this thread is for one of the members of the forum to share a photographic technique with the rest of the forum. Then we can all practice this technique & upload our results. The technique doesn't have to be limited to digital editing. It can be related to other things as well, like exposure, depth-of-field, etc. A good example of a technique thread can be found here:

Nice Photoshop effect.

Since this is the first week, I'll kick this off. I thought it might be fun to talk about the Rule of Thirds.

The "rule of thirds" is a guideline to good photographic composition. It dictates that you divide your camera's viewfinder into nine sections using imaginary horizontal and vertical lines. (See image-1). The goal is to place the subject of your pictures on one of the four points of intersection on the grid. This creates a more pleasing and interesting composition.

I'm including some examples that I found on the web that show you how to line up your pictures along this grid. (See images 2-4).

Here is a link that has a lot more detail on how to do this:

Rule of Thirds

If you're taking a picture of a landscape or something with a defined horizon, you can still apply this rule. Place your horizon along the top-third or bottom-third of the grid as opposed to dividing the picture in half by placing it in the center of the frame. The last two pictures illustrate this point. One shows the horizon in the center of the picture, and the other is placed according to the rule of thirds. You decide which one is more interesting. (See images 5-6).

Remember, this is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes it makes sense to put a subject in the center or slightly off center of the picture. Use your judgement accordingly.

For this week, let's all upload pics that apply this rule & see what we can do.

--
"...the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball."

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

Here's image-1 in a .jpeg format -- sorry for the error above!

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

2 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

Here's my picture.

mikeky
Premium
join:2001-12-07
Kentucky

reply to MLOK5

NIKON E5700
71mm 1/283th F4.2 ISO100

I tried to apply this rule, assuming the head was the most interesting part. Don't know how well it suceeded. (Sorry for another turtle photo.)

Fritty, it looks like your photo worked well using the horizon at about two-thirds.
--
He never chooses an opinion - he just wears whatever happens to be in style. - Leo Tolstoy

[text was edited by author 2003-07-20 21:23:40]

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

said by mikeky:
I tried to apply this rule, assuming the head was the most interesting part. Don't know how well it suceeded. (Sorry for another turtle photo.)
It looks great to me! (And I love the turtle pics!)
--
"...the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball."

tiggerstales
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.
kudos:3

4 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

Well, I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. All those lines and circles are just too much like math.
--
4 cams, 5 cats, 7 days a week.=^..^=

elias
Premium,VIP
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

I posted this:

»Re: A question of cropping...

Not too long ago. I had a few good pictures (the I found on Google Images) demonstrating the rule, plus some explanations.

-- Elias
--

DSLi Forum. Crunching the Midnight Oil.

Camare
Premium
join:2003-05-15
Mckinleyville, CA

3 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

Click for full size
Here's my contribution. A sunrise taken about 7:00 am on the way to work one morning looking over a river.
--
Occasionally I suffer Blond moments.....

climbers
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-06

I think your photo should be in our gallery.

--
Aggressive drivers kill innocent people.

MnR
Premium
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to tiggerstales

Hi tiggerstales,

You know that is a great shot, But I think you should have your camera checked. It giving you a window effect. LOL.

bluwing
--
Remember, The choice is up to you.

bokamba
Chengdu Rocks
Premium
join:2002-04-05
Falls Church, VA

1 recommendation

reply to MLOK5

Awesome technique tip. This is one of the most important guidelines in going from "clueless point-and-shoot" to "well-planned and attractive" photography.

Edit This
Premium
join:2001-05-08
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to MLOK5

A simple but awesome technique that really taught me a great deal. I am grateful for the information. I needed this lesson right at this point in time because it is something I have always wondered about but up until now have never heard of. The rule of thirds.....rules.
--
78% of all statistics are wrong....and....All generalizations are false.Hullodare

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX
reply to MLOK5

It seemed like a good place to start. I think it's best to remember that it's only a guideline. Sometimes that "rule" ought to be broken to get the best picture. I'm glad people are getting something out of this.

--
"Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island."

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to MLOK5

I had heard about the technique before but I understand it much better with the grids and examples, thanks Fritty

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to MLOK5

Great info, thanks. I just went through a few hundred of my photos and all I can find is a few hundred examples of what not to do. Sorry, maybe I'll play next time

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

It's still not too late to take a new picture. What about trying to crop an old picture you have to apply the rules. That might be fun to try.

--
"Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island."

breese
Premium
join:2000-05-10
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

3 recommendations

Click for full size
I created this one as the home page for a motorcycle web site.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to MLOK5

I don't know how to put the lines in but here goes...

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX
reply to breese

said by breese:
I created this one as the home page for a motorcycle web site.
Very cool! I love it!!
--

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

reply to kim

said by kim:
I don't know how to put the lines in but here goes...
Kim, this is perfect! I'm glad you posted. BTW, "Kim" is a GREAT name.... it happens to be my name, too!

--

mikeky
Premium
join:2001-12-07
Kentucky
reply to MLOK5

The thirds rule seems pretty effective. Though looking at the gallery I can see several that break the rule but still work; a good example is climbers picture here. Anyone have other examples where the thirds rule wouldn't have really worked?
--
He never chooses an opinion - he just wears whatever happens to be in style. - Leo Tolstoy

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
reply to kim

said by Fritty:
Kim, this is perfect
Thanks Kim

modemfreak

join:2001-01-19
V3B
reply to MLOK5

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot S40
7mm 1/1000th F2.8

hi... here's mine...

i don't think mind worked that well with the box thingy rule....

don't know how to put the box in...

and i didn't really put the pine cone in the middle of the page....

how well does it look now?

and what can i do to make it better?

technique and cropping-wise?

David.

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to MLOK5

When I created the Motorcycle picture, I attempted to use the 3rd's rule not only Vertically but also Horizontal.

Is there something I could have done to make it better?
I am always looking for ideas and ways to improve.

Thanks

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX
reply to modemfreak

Click for full size

Hi, David. Here's my shot at cropping it, but it really doesn't make any difference from your original shot. I think that you've got 2 points of focal interest. The first is the pine cone & right behind that is the huge green tree on the right. I like your shot just the way it is. I think it's interesting. Nice job!

--

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

reply to breese

Breese, I like the collage that you did on your picture, and I think the way you lined everything up looks great. Even the one guy that you immediately focus on when you first look at the picture is a little off center, which makes this that much more of an interesting picture. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. Great job!

[text was edited by author 2003-07-26 13:30:33]

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

Thanks for the comments….
The site was developed to show the history of Abate of Illinois thru pictures.
The only text on the sub-web site is an About page which just happens to be the photographer and the gentleman in the middle….

Thanks again and I look forward to monitoring this forum for ideas and methods that will help me in creating better pictures.