spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MeDuZa
join:2003-06-13
Austria

MeDuZa

Warning Dialer

Be warned,the old address : w*w.xp-antispy.de belongs not any more to the developer of xp-AntiSpy.The Domain was sold and is now a DIALER site!

The only Home Page for xp-AntiSpy is : »www.xp-antispy.org/
Buddel3
join:2003-03-26

Buddel3

said by MeDuZa:
Be warned,the old address : w*w.xp-antispy.de belongs not any more to the developer of xp-AntiSpy.The Domain was sold and is now a DIALER site!

The only Home Page for xp-AntiSpy is : »www.xp-antispy.org/
Just to be on the safe side, I would like to add that the address w*w.xpantispy.de (without the hyphen) is now a dialer site, too.
Schouw
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
Netherlands

Schouw to MeDuZa

Premium Member

to MeDuZa
Hey, I discovered that yesterday.

Wonder when it will be added to dialer.avc, because dialers probably have got a low priority.(KAV)
Buddel3

Buddel3

said by Schouw:
... dialers probably have got a low priority.(KAV)
KAV is pretty (no, VERY) good when it comes to blocking viruses and trojans, but neither KAV nor any other AV is able to deal with dialers (effectively). That's why I use different programs for different things:

viruses > anti-virus program
trojans > anti-trojan program
dialers > anti-dialer program
Schouw
Premium Member
Netherlands

Schouw

Premium Member

Well, if you look at the latest daily, you can see that KAV has added generic detection for dialers, but it didn't catch this one with the update.

McAfee however did catch it.

But I agree with you that there are better programs against dialers, but not using them because I am on cable.

pompeyfan
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Australia

pompeyfan to MeDuZa

Premium Member

to MeDuZa
That is pretty insidious, taking over a site like that, so out of interest how does the dialer install, and where does it try to connect to once on your system?

MeDuZa
Austria

MeDuZa

Sorry but I don't know about details.
The only thing I know is that C.T. the developer of xp-AntySpy has got nice money for his domain.Much more money than any domain could be worth.Now it's clear why.It seems that dialers are very profitable and the site had a good reputation.
I visited the site out of curiosity and I saw all links ending with an .exe extension.
There will be a lot of victims.Very sad but it's still something legal and I think it's nothing to do about it.
Schouw
Premium Member
Netherlands

Schouw to pompeyfan

Premium Member

to pompeyfan
I tried it yesterday, it didn't try to connect automatically, first had to pick the country I was in, but maybe if I were on dial up, that it started a connection out of its own.

Went to software, clicked uninstall, and that seemed to do the trick, so it's luckily not hard to remove.
(not 100% sure if everything is gone, but when I booted my vmware today, no sign of it).

pompeyfan
Premium Member
Australia

pompeyfan to MeDuZa

Premium Member

to MeDuZa
I see your point about all links ending in .exe, I think this is pretty poor that they sold off this domain, probably knowing full well what it was going to be used for.
Buddel3

Buddel3 to MeDuZa

to MeDuZa
The above-mentioned dialer sites seem to be very dangerous indeed. What you will find there is not the xp-antispy which you get from www.xp-antispy.ORG, but a file called ”securitytipps.exe”. This exe file installs a dialer called ”Central24”. This dialer is believed to be able to do something what most other dialers have tried in vain so far: it not only dials expensive numbers, it also deactivates YAW 3.5 - permanently!

This is particularly alarming because YAW 3.5 is one of the best anti-dialer programs IMO. I wonder how Dialer Control and other anti-dialer programs cope with it. DC is also pretty good, but no software is 100% perfect (even though YAW 4.0 will hopefully come pretty close to it J). As far as DC is concerned, EOPS usually reacts very quickly to such dialers, so I can imagine that there will soon be an update. If I’m not mistaken, there will soon be an update for YAW 3.5, too.

EDIT:
Spybot S&D and AdAware know this Central24 dialer, so these programs should be able to remove it.

[text was edited by author 2003-07-30 13:10:51]

pompeyfan
Premium Member
Australia

pompeyfan

Premium Member

Interesting info Buddel, until recently their didn't seem to be much discussion here about dialer fraud, but I take it very seriously, no way do I want to land some huge phone bill.
Buddel3

Buddel3

said by pompeyfan:
... until recently their didn't seem to be much discussion here about dialer fraud, ...
Seems like you are right, pompeyfan. I wish I knew why most people here are not interested in this subject. I just don’t know why dialer fraud is (almost) never discussed here. Isn’t it a security issue, too?

Please don’t get me wrong: I do not mean to accuse anybody here of being ignorant of this issue. I’m just wondering why there's only a handful of people being interested in preventing dialer fraud.
[text was edited by author 2003-07-31 10:33:45]
Coolsights
join:2003-02-22
Lewisville, TX

Coolsights to MeDuZa

to MeDuZa
Hi!

I run the IESPY restricted site list

»www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehow ··· #IESPYAD

you can be nice and submit the site to eburger68@myrealbox.com

I found the email addy in the readme file ...
The one that tells you how to install the list correctly...

I have submitted a site myself.... LOL it is still in the list cause I just checked to see if yours was on there....

The guy who does the list is suppose to hang out here to,,,
maybe he will see this post...

LOL if more people helped make the list then these S O B 's would be shut down
I only wished more people new about the list...

Oh I forgot to say if you had PopUpCop it will trap any download with a big warning you can't miss.. Popupcop also gives you a button to add them to the trusty or Restricted zone or no change .... You make up you mind then hit cancel on the download.. I just end task that stuff incase someone figured out a trick you way...

Thanks Mac!
[text was edited by author 2003-07-31 12:00:14]
Buddel3

Buddel3

Coolsights, what exactly are you trying to say? You mentioned PopUpCop. Whatever it is, I don't think it is comparable with an anti-dialer program like Dialer Control. It sounds like a popup stopper or an anti-spyware program such as SpywareGuard or SpywareBlaster. Sorry, but I just didn't get the gist of your post.

MeDuZa
Austria

MeDuZa to Coolsights

to Coolsights
Hi

I have posted the info in their forum.
(These block lists are based in part on info from:discussions in the SpywareInfo Forums)