uniqs

Maranello
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

Watercooling... Kit vs DYI

Well I just read this and thought since the subject comes up alot in this forum that it would be good reading for all

»www.overclockers.com/art ··· cles766/

Bobaroo
Aqua Teen Hunger Force 1 In The Hood, G
Premium Member
join:2002-04-14
Glen Rock, NJ

Bobaroo

Premium Member

Sticky!

Good Find Maranello See Profile

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

Heres another one for anyone interested in watercooling....

"Good overview of watercooling choices and information sources - The Rudy"

»www.overclockers.com/art ··· cles769/

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

I'll sticky is for awhile. Then add it to the FAQ's

But please post only watercooling related parts/articles. There were some past posts that had a lot of good watercooling related parts/articles maybe some of you can dig them up and post them in this thread for future reference.

Thanks
FastEddie

NutCase4
Mad Overclocker
Premium Member
join:2001-12-10
Livermore, CA

NutCase4 to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello
Ok, Here are some Guides on Watercooling:

»wc101.com/guides.php

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

Flushing your water system
Cooling technologies explained. (also about air and super cooling)
Silicone vs Vinyl hose
Coolants and chemicals
Suggestions for maximizing flow rate
Tips and tricks
How-TO... building a reservoir
Radiator air flow rates
Evaprotive cooling (a smaller bong)
Pump review/tests
Watercooling and electrochemistry
Heater core parts list... what car core to order!!! This is a must have/read for anyone. I suggest printing this one
How-To Heatercore/shroud
Chemical comparo
DIY external watercooling (why buy exos)
watercooling physics

Bobaroo
Aqua Teen Hunger Force 1 In The Hood, G
Premium Member
join:2002-04-14
Glen Rock, NJ

Bobaroo to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello
this can be a good thread.

RyanB186
join:2001-05-05
New York, NY

RyanB186 to Maranello

to Maranello
I hope to get into watercooling soon, thanks for the good links. Any caveats?

rklein
God Among Hogs
join:2001-01-18
Worcester, MA

rklein to Maranello

to Maranello
Cool thread! I just recently installed a Danger Den kit so I'm pretty hungry for watercooling info right now.

Anyway, I found a nit to pick in this article by The Rudy. He writes regarding lapping the water block:
Sand the block only ONE direction by placing the water block on the sandpaper, brush, then lift it off the paper.
I used to do plenty of flat-lapping for a paycheck when I worked at Great Lakes-Eglinton (»www.greatlakeseglinton.com/) in Bridgeport, MI back in the 90s. The way I learned (and it works great for me) is to use a figure-eight motion when sanding/lapping, not a straight line in one direction. The Rudy's method will get you a nice shiny surface, but I doubt it'll get you a *flat* surface. That probably won't matter when you're just making contact across a very small area (e.g. the core of a Palamino Athlon XP) but could be important when you want contact across a large surface area (like a GPU).

That's all for now.
rklein

rklein to Maranello

to Maranello
Okay, another thing. A lot of the articles say to use distilled water because it's not electrically conductive. That's true...until any contaminants (e.g. dust, Water Wetter, glycol...) get into the water; then it becomes just as electrically conductive as tap water. De-ionized water is even purer than distilled water (I had a tough time finding hard facts about this, but apparently distilled water has gasses diluted in it that de-ionized water doesn't...not to mention the *ions* in distilled water ) but is actually *more corrosive* than distilled water in some situations. De-ionized water also has to be stored in special containers so it won't absorb gasses. It *will* absorb those gasses once it's in your water cooling rig, so, in practice, it makes no difference whether you use de-ionized or distilled water. The point is that either one has very little junk in it to clog your water block or radiator like the minerals in tap water would.

noe1
The Future Was Not What It Use To Be
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Charleston, WV

noe1 to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello
The gases you refer to are mostly nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, helium, etc. In other words, air. Hard to keep that out of water, be it distilled, de-ionized, whatever. You can get CO2 + H2 = H2CO3 but the equilibrium is far to the left so not very corrosive.