All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sam11111
join:2002-09-08
Plano, TX

sam11111

Belkin router loses connection every 15 minutes

Picked up one of those Belkin Wireless 4 Port Cable/DSL Gateway Routers from Micro center. My laptop loses connection every 15 - 20 minutes. I have a dell inspiron 5100. Is the MR814V2 a better buy? If yes why? Not too familiar with the pros and cons of wireless routers.

Thanks in advance for help.
mikehd
What day is it?
Premium Member
join:2000-07-11
Lebanon, OR

mikehd

Premium Member

Are you running a personal software firewall on the wireless client as well? A friend with the same Belkin reports a similar issue is addressed by lowering his Zone Alarm. May have an interaction there.
Terbo6
join:2003-10-01
Pittsburgh, PA

Terbo6 to sam11111

to sam11111
I'm having a simular problem here: »COMCAST cable internet stops working

ZOverLord
Premium Member
join:2003-10-20
Minneapolis, MN

ZOverLord to sam11111

Premium Member

to sam11111
Q: Stalls and freezes

A: If you are getting stalls when using your PC Before your new ADSL line has been activated, your new internal ADSL card could be attempting to talk to the network (which is not yet configured for you), and while it does this, your PC may freeze. The solution is to remove the drivers for the card and/or the card itself, until the ADSL line is activated by the Telco, then re-install from scratch.

If your PC is freezing regularly, and you are on PPPoE, your computer may be looking around for a DHCP server that does not exist. Check the following: (windows)

Open control panel, open Network

For Windows 2000/XP, instead, do -> Start -> Settings -> Network and Dial-Up Connections, and then go into the Properties for your Local Area Connection

Look for the first entry in the scroll box marked TCP/IP, that is associated with a hardware ethernet card (ignore dialup, AOL and VPN type bindings).

Select it and press properties

Select IP address from the tab

Is Obtain IP address automatically checked? if so, change that to Define IP address and enter 192.168.1.10, and 255.255.255.0, into IP address and subnet mask fields respectively
This assignment of a harmless local IP address to the TCP/IP settings bound (connected) to your network adaptor, will stop the in-built DHCP services from waking up every 10 minutes to look for a DHCP server so that it can "fill in the blanks".

If you are using Win98SE, also use this update Windows 98 Second Edition Problems then ALSO go here

»support.microsoft.com/su ··· 1/99.ASP

Let me know if this FIXES Things