All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Chrisji
join:2003-08-09
Sterling, VA

Chrisji

WINXP wep 64 bit doesn't work

I have a Linksys 4 switch router/access point and I am trying to use a linksys USG network adapter to connect to the access point. If I don't turn the 64 bit WEP on, I can connect to internet just fine, but if I turn on the WEP and typing the correct network key (I tried so many times, and no way I typed wrong so many times), and my Win XP will fail to connect to internet, it's just so strange. My XP shows only 40bit and 104 bit choice, but I assume the 40 bit equivalent to 64 bit, is that right? Did I do something wrong? Help...

MercX
@tybout01.de.comcast.

MercX

Anon

I would like to know this same thing.

I have tried over and over again but to no avail.

Please help us out.
cxRetf5qVDCE
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
New York, NY

cxRetf5qVDCE to Chrisji

Premium Member

to Chrisji
Have you tried:
- Disabling "Use Windows To Configure My Wireless Network Settings"
- And then going to the device settings
(Rt click my computer, select properties, click hardware, select device manager, go the properties of your wireless card)
and then entering the WEP key there?
pepperxn
join:2001-02-21

pepperxn

I'm having this same problem and I tried these steps, but where do I put the WEP key?

jkonrad
Konman
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Mount Airy, MD

jkonrad to Chrisji

Premium Member

to Chrisji
40 bit is 64 bit, the question is are you trying to enter a passphrase or the HexCode. Try just entering the hexcode that your linksys generates..
Chrisji
join:2003-08-09
Sterling, VA

Chrisji

I called Linksys tech support, the problem was I installed the linksys config utility which is conflict with XP's own utility. I uninstalled all linksys software from my box and let XP installed the Linksys driver. After enter the WEP key, it works perfectly. Thanks for all your help.
solomon2
join:2003-10-20
Oak Park, IL

solomon2

I'd like to do that but I can't get the Linksys software off my machine (XP). The Add/remove programs goes through the motions but after it finishes it still shows that there is 0.8meg of the program still there. And it won't let me relaod it (so that I can properely remove it) because it says that it is already loaded.

K