uniqs

Random Nut
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Mosh Pit

Random Nut

Premium Member

Microsoft Uses Linux To Publish Its Own Web Site

Microsoft has made a big deal out of asserting that Linux is not fit for the enterprise. But Microsoft itself is using Linux to help protect its servers against denial-of-service attacks.
»www.crn.com/sections/Bre ··· ID=44033

He He that's funny

catahoula7
Catahoula
join:2002-12-30

catahoula7

Re: Microsoft Uses Linux To Publish Its Own Web Si

said by Random Nut:
Microsoft has made a big deal out of asserting that Linux is not fit for the enterprise. But Microsoft itself is using Linux to help protect its servers against denial-of-service attacks.
»www.crn.com/sections/Bre ··· ID=44033

He He that's funny

he he..

ObdH
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Abilene, TX

ObdH to Random Nut

Premium Member

to Random Nut

Re: Microsoft Uses Linux To Publish Its Own Web Site

halarious

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Random Nut

Premium Member

to Random Nut
That is not news...they have been doing it for years...
Even Microsoft used Akamai!!!
2002-04-11
»Why would you need Akamai in your hosts file?

and they do own some companies who are involved in the development of products that have nothing to do with the OS's they sell.

Nam Vet4
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Allentown, PA

1 recommendation

Nam Vet4

Premium Member

not true, its akamai that uses linux

name game beat me

see this

»www.theregister.co.uk/co ··· 385.html

Lucky5
Premium Member
join:2002-07-24
Desert Floor

Lucky5 to Random Nut

Premium Member

to Random Nut

Re: Microsoft Uses Linux To Publish Its Own Web Site

Best part of the article:

In tomorrow's news: McDonald's executive found eating at Burger King.
Tuulilapsi
Kenosis
join:2002-07-29
Finland

Tuulilapsi to Name Game

to Name Game
Even so, I find it fun. After all, if Linux were so insecure and unstable, how would Akamai manage with it? And if Akamai indeed could not manage with Linux, then why would MS use their services?

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Lucky5

Premium Member

to Lucky5
said by Lucky5:
Best part of the article:

In tomorrow's news: McDonald's executive found eating at Burger King.

Now that story holds some real promise..it would tickle my mac nuggets to know if he had coupons and asked for extra cheese.

Thanks for the update Nam Vet..
Name Game

Name Game to Tuulilapsi

Premium Member

to Tuulilapsi
said by Tuulilapsi:
Even so, I find it fun. After all, if Linux were so insecure and unstable, how would Akamai manage with it? And if Akamai indeed could not manage with Linux, then why would MS use their services?
because of the physical placement of the Akamai server networks..akin to the spoke on the hub of a wheel to make sure all their customers get serviced. The link I posted above will tell you why they have always used them and also most of the AV companies out there for their updates.
Tuulilapsi
Kenosis
join:2002-07-29
Finland

Tuulilapsi

Yet surely Microsoft with all its resources could find - or build - an alternative to Akamai's network if there was a demand for it. That is to say, if Akamai servers were utter pieces of trash, more or less because of Linux being so unfitting for enterprise use.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by Tuulilapsi:
Yet surely Microsoft with all its resources could find - or build - an alternative to Akamai's network if there was a demand for it. That is to say, if Akamai servers were utter pieces of trash, more or less because of Linux being so unfitting for enterprise use.
Why should they...you can make a phone call to lease Akamai and that is the most cost effective and expedient solution for all those customers of Microsoft who did not keep up with the updates offered by Microsoft MONTHS ago..that is the problem..for if they had..most of these current exploits would not be out there in the category you now see them.

Leading that horse to water remain still the biggest problem and when the horse itself is lame..you had better find a place he does not have to walk so far..or you will never get any sleep.

If Microsoft got into the same business Akamai did with their network and server investment...The monopoly would be so great..everyone would scream bloody murder...it is not the fact the Microsoft could not afford the $$$$$$ to do it..but rather the cries of unfair competition.

Money does make the world go round..but then we always knew that.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to Random Nut

Premium Member

to Random Nut
I figured this out when Windows Update stopped working and I researched whether anyone was having similar problems.

Windows Update [as of this morning on this PC] requires both the hosts file [Akamai is blocked] and ZAP to be disabled [my site list in ZAP is a 'permission list', not a block list (unless something gets really annoying and needs a higher-then-paranoid block level)]. I suppose I'll have to figure out which Akamai server[s] they're using so I don't have to shut off ZAP.

Anybody seen my tinfoil hat? I had it when I came in here....
[text was edited by author 2003-08-21 11:14:45]

markwp2001
Spreadhead
Premium Member
join:2002-05-25
Long Beach, MS

markwp2001

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

It's being upgraded - will be ready Friday

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to DrStrange

Premium Member

to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:
I figured this out when Windows Update stopped working and I researched whether anyone was having similar problems.

Windows Update [as of this morning on this PC] requires both the hosts file [Akamai is blocked] and ZAP to be disabled [my site list in ZAP is a 'permission list', not a block list (unless something gets really annoying and needs a higher-then-paranoid block level)]. I suppose I'll have to figure out which Akamai server[s] they're using so I don't have to shut off ZAP.

See here for info on thoses Akamai servers...

»groups.google.com/groups ··· l&rnum=3

»groups.google.com/groups ··· l&rnum=7