Search similar:

uniqs
jefe303
join:2003-05-30
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

jefe303

[H/W] Convert MSN DSL1000 modem to SMC 7401BRA

It has been mentioned in this forum that the MSN DSL1000 modem was a rebranded ACCTON, and that SMC also had a model based on the Accton model. My primary purpose in attempting this stems from the fact that my speakeasy dsl install kit doesn't come until next week, and my roommate used to have msn broadband. I have successfully installed and configured the SMC Barricade 7401BRA firmware on the MSN DSL1000. This is a quick and dirty documentation of my method, and what you might encounter if you choose to make the switch.

Reasons for switching: The SMC firmware provides a host of features not accessible on the MSN modem. Through the standard web interface, there are an abundance of features that make the switch worthwhile. For instance, I have switched my modem from the MSN PPPoA to speakeasy 1483 Bridged modem, completely eliminating the NAT. You can also set the modem to let you use more than 2 computers.

Notes:
* very important if using MSN: get your PPPoA login/pass, supposedly these are the keycode1/2 numbers. You will be unable to connect if you don't.
* As this was an extra modem that we were going to roof test if it didn't work right, we did not attempt to backup the old firmware. So if it messes up, you may have serious problems.
* This conversion turns the POS msn modem into a real full fledged router. RIP support, system logs, all sorts of statistics, and extensive configuration options.
* Read through the whole procedure before you jump into the process. You may find there's one showstopper that may leave you out of a dsl modem.
* I disclaim all responsibility for anything you do, microsoft probably doesn't like the idea of you actually having control of something you own.

Basic steps involved:
1. Acquire firmware from SMC europe website
2. Build a bootable DOS cd
3. Setup and run flash utility
4. Configure modem

Step 1 - Acquire firmware
The SMC Barricade is a european model, and the firmware is available on their website here: »www.smc-europe.com/engli ··· BRA.html

You need the following files:
Firmware 1.10
Flash Reset Procedure

Extract the firmware to some directory on the hard disk.
Print out the Flash Reset procedure.

Step 2 - Build a bootable cd
The reason for this is that the USB flash utility requires a PURE DOS environment to flash successfully. I don't even have a floppy drive on my computer anymore, so i had to build a cd. If you have an old boot disk lying around, you can probably use that. Keep in mind, the firmware is about 1.3 megs zipped, and it still needs enough room to build its image file during the flash process. I will go over the boot cd process here.

Follow the procedures on the following website to build the boot cdrom. »nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdromsi
At the part that specifies "if you want any files in the root of the cdrom", you want to extract the SMC firmware downloaded in the previous step to this folder, and continue with the procedure.

Step 3 - Setup and Run flash procedure
Boot from the cd burned in the previous step. A dialog box might popup asking if you want to continue, you be the judge . Once you're at the prompt, we need to setup the system to flash the firmware.

As the cd is read-only, and the flash app needs to write to the disk to create the image file, we must copy the firmware to the ram disk and run the utility from there. The following commands should suffice:
mkdir q:\smcfw
xcopy \*.* q:\smcfw\

In my case, either the disk burning procedure or the extraction changed the hyphens in the gif filenames to underscores, throwing off the utility. If that is the case for you, simply xcopy ??_??.gif ??-??.gif

After this is completed, follow the instructions you printed out to a T.

Step 4 - Configure your modem
This is the tricky part, and more up to the reader to do whatever you see fit to your setup. Information you need:
VPI/VCI info
Authentication info (PPPOA/PPPoE login info)
Network Setup info

Basically, this modem has a similar but much more extensive web setup to MSN's excuse for a setup. Just access the modem at »192.168.1.1 and configure away.

Good luck.
-jeff
PolarBearWY
join:2002-02-20
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY

So, do you have MSN DSL?

Has anyone else tried this? Some of you that have purchased the Cisco to replace your MSN 1000, care to donate your unused MSN 1000 and try this?
jefe303
Dallas, TX

jefe303

It will work as long as you have the proper vpi/vci settings. Someone in another post mentioned 0/32. If you have that information and your keycodes it should be possible. My roommate used to be a msn subscriber, but we no longer have msn dsl. It's just like setting up any other modem to use the service.
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

1 recommendation

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
I can verify that the equipment in my area uses 0,32. I have heard that some places in the network still use 1,1.

I think I'm going to just switch to Bresnan cable internet on Monday. It should be faster, but I'm not sure I like that their website says "no servers allowed." But, I'm sick of this POS modem that MSN requires us to use. I'd just call them and say "to keep me, reduce my bill by the cost of a Cisco 678 (which seems to be $120+ by eBay listings)" but MSN doesn't actually get much out of my subscription. I think choosing the ISP-included package only raised the cost by $17/mo. QWest really has nothing to do with this mess, so I don't think they'd be able to adjust my bill to retain me as a customer.

Anyway, my point is -- if I switch, I'll give this a try and see how it goes, and will post reports.

Jefe, my concern isn't the VCI/VPI settings or getting the modem to recognize the DSL line. My concern is having the modem successfully take the firmware of a different modem, and working 100% after.

Ace132
@wash.qwest.ne

Ace132 to jefe303

Anon

to jefe303
Hey, I tried the way jefe303 posted, and it works. All the options are available, and your able to connect to the internet through it if you have the proper settings.
jefe303
Dallas, TX

jefe303

Thanks ace for checking that it still works with msn. The msn1000 with smc firmware works for me on speakeasy, i'm using it right now When you short J4, it seems to put the modem into 'flash programmer' mode, and i never saw any indication of brands, and the flash utility just looked for the flash controller model.

-jeff
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY

So, can you make it a bit clearer on what I would need to "configure the modem?"

I got some passcodes when I told MSN I'd be trying my Intel 2100, but that's actually a 1,1 modem and I need 0,32. I would think the 2100 would be configurable for such, but I never got it to train when I changed the values in WinXP. Would those passcodes work or would I need to call MSN and tell them I'm using the SMC?

A newbie guide would be great. I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to configuring these modems or networking.

So, what EXACTLY would I need to configure this modem with that firmware to use with MSN DSL? And, how do I configure it?

All help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be happy to mail you a referral. Give the referral to MSN and hopefully they will give you money! For, if I don't get this help, MSN will be losing my business in the next week or two.

Please... help! hehehe

What do you mean by shorting J4? Are you talking about an internal jumper?

NOTHINGness
@uswest.net

NOTHINGness

Anon

I have flashed my modem to the SMC, but now I am having a hard time connecting. I don't think I have the settings right can someone help me?
jefe303
Dallas, TX

jefe303

J4 is an internal jumper. The modem is easy to pry open with a flathead screwdriver. My modem trained on the line, even when my vpi/vci settings were incorrect. As far as configuration goes, there are a few basic options. First, set your vpi/vci (i've heard 0/32 and 1/1 in this forum). Second, configure your username/password for PPPoA. The modem should be set for NAT by default, so it should work in a similar fashion to the old msn firmware. That should be it. I guess you could always call msn and get your line's vpi/vci numbers.

-jeff
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
Hey NOTHINGness, have you tried to flash back to MSN firmware 1.30.7? I'd be interested in knowing if this is reversible.

Your help is appreciated, Jefe
[text was edited by author 2003-08-25 01:23:01]

NOTHINGness
@uswest.net

NOTHINGness

Anon

I now have gotten the modem working with the SMC firmware. I will now try and provide the steps I used to make it work after installing the firmware.

1. Login using the user name admin and password barricade.
2. Go to the Advanced setup.
3. Click on reset modem to factory defaults.
4. When you hear the second click from the modem click on WAN.
5. Type in the first key in for the username followed by @msndsl.com
6. Type in the second key for the password.
7. Click Reboot and click the reboot button to restart the router.
8. When the router starts back up it will train and connect you to MSN.
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY

Sweet! Thanks, NOTHINGness.

But, I decided it was finally time to get rid of MSN and go with cable internet -- will be installed on Sept 10.

My girlfriend would kill me if I screwed up the modem 2 weeks prior to the new install, so I'll wait 'til early Sept to check this out. I'm going to get 1.5kbps instead of 640, at the trade of only getting 256 up instead of 272. Oh well. Life's unfair! hahaha.

Thanks again, guys. Maybe this firmware switch will make my 1000 worth something.
shane19823
join:2003-06-08
Lincolnton, NC

shane19823

Well, after burning the CD and following directions to a T, just as was mentioned above, i got an error msg "unable to locate USB HOST" guess that means my USB controller is incompatible with the flashing utility like the PDF file stated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try this on another PC.
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY

Did you enable Legacy USB Support in your BIOS?

Did you check ALL USB ports?
PolarBearWY

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
I'll go ahead and add that this really does work. I'm impressed. Thanks for posting the fix.

Still switching to cable internet because it will peak almost 3x faster (and the LinkSys cable modem stacks neatly on the router), but fixing it this way should increase the value of the MSN on eBay by about $70.

People are spending $120 + S&H for the Cisco 678. Now, they don't need to. This thing is awesome, now.

WOHOOO!

Ace132
@67.41.x.x

Ace132 to jefe303

Anon

to jefe303
Its just to bad that there isn't a master reset or anything for the Arescom modem.
NOTHINGness4
join:2003-08-26
Spokane, WA

NOTHINGness4 to PolarBearWY

to PolarBearWY
One problem I hate about it is after every change you make yu need to restart the router for it to take effect. Once I get a new power supply I am going to try the modem as a bridge connected to a Gentoo Linux box.
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
NOTHINGness, did you ever get this to work with NAT disabled?

If I disabled the NAT, I lost my internet connection even though the modem trained... not sure if I was supposed to change another setting, too.
adman1984
join:2003-08-26
Vancouver, WA

adman1984 to jefe303

to jefe303
This fix works great. Only thing u have to do is make sure you call MSN for the login and password to establish the pppOA connection for SMC routers. I flashed mine today and I love it.
Noobie2
join:2003-05-15
Knoxville, TN

Noobie2 to jefe303

to jefe303
Does anyone know how reliable SMC 7401BRA is? I have SMC 7004VBR router... and it's a crap. It locks up all the time when there's heavy internet use. I have tried all different kinds of firmware.. Both are from the same company... so i was just wondering whether SMC 7401BRA is another SMC crap.

Thank you

I am currently using Efficient Speed Stream 5660 in Bridge mode (because port configuration is not configurably configurable) and Linksys router doing pppoE or pppoA and port setting job. This combo works great!!!!
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
Can't tell you if it's crap because I'd need months and months to give a review like that.

I can tell you that since I did the firmware upgrade (MSN DSL 1000 --> SMC) I have not been disconnected once, eDonkey2000 says my TCP port is finally open, and I have been downloading constantly between 60-75 K/s for 4 days now.

I love it!

I turned a worthless modem into a modem that's worth the price of a Cisco 678.

THANKS AGAIN FOR POSTING THIS FIX! ITS THE MOTHER LODE OF FIXES!
PolarBearWY

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
Actually, I was disconnected yesterday, but so was everyone else in Wyoming. The OC3 line from Cheyenne to Denver went down.
Noobie2
join:2003-05-15
Knoxville, TN

Noobie2

Hehe It sounds like.. So far so good..

I am going to try to flash my modem, too, as soon as i figure out how to make CD-Bootable w/ ramdisk. Fortunately, I have a back up modem/router in case it doesn't work.

Thanks
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY

said by Noobie2:
Hehe It sounds like.. So far so good..

I am going to try to flash my modem, too, as soon as i figure out how to make CD-Bootable w/ ramdisk. Fortunately, I have a back up modem/router in case it doesn't work.

Thanks
On the first page, there is a link for making a CDROM bootdisk. Unless you are using NTFS, you shouldn't need a RAMDISK. Just put the firmware utility and file in the root directory of C: in its own folder. Boot with the CD. Go to C:\____ and run the flash.
jefe303
Dallas, TX

jefe303 to PolarBearWY

to PolarBearWY
i was using the modem with NAT disabled -- but my service gives me a dhcp address. for PPPoA the modem as a router really is the best way to go, unless you feel like running PPPoA software on your desktop (Don't.) I'm not using the (smc)msn modem anymore, so if anyone wants me to test anything on it i'd be happy to. my zyxel box came last week. haven't been disconnected once (on either modem).
cleetus_X
join:2003-08-21
Rwanda

cleetus_X to jefe303

to jefe303
After booting and running the SMC flash.bat, I'm getting an error message about it not being able to make a temp file. What's the cause of this?
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY

said by cleetus_X:
After booting and running the SMC flash.bat, I'm getting an error message about it not being able to make a temp file. What's the cause of this?
Your flashware needs to be on AND RUN from writeable disk. Either a hard drive or a decently-sized RAMDisk.

This is in the documentation in the first post of the thread.
cleetus_X
join:2003-08-21
Rwanda

cleetus_X

Thanks for posting a response, PolarBear. After booting from the CD-rom, the system doesn't recognize the 'C' drive--where the firmware resides. Is there a way to get it to 'see' the HD? Or, how do I set-up a RAMdisk? (My computer is running XP; one HD; one floppy; file sys. is NTFS)
PolarBearWY
Laramie, WY

PolarBearWY to jefe303

to jefe303
I couldn't tell ya how to load up a RAMDisk. I haven't seen RAMDisk since we had 640K conventional memory, and 384K extended memory standard in our computers.

Is there a way to change your NTFS drive to FAT32 without losing the info?

If you have an older HDD, I'd suggest temporarily installing it and running the beginning of an XP install. The setup program would format the HDD for you in FAT32 in the first few steps, then just abort the install.

If you don't have access to a HDD with FAT partition nor RAMDisk, then I can't imagine you'd be able to do this.

How about using another computer? a work computer? computer at the university near you? a neighbor's computer?
gsnelson801
join:2003-08-01
Renton, WA

gsnelson801 to jefe303

to jefe303
Does anyone know what the PPPoa login and password is? It's not my username and password on MSN right? I have to call MSN for it or does anyone have that info? Thanks,
Greg