uniqs
evanbills
join:2003-02-21
Hurst, TX

evanbills

Packet8 & FWD

Two quick questions for the group:

1.) Can I use an ATA186 with Packet8?

2.) Can I call packet8 numbers with FWD?

Thanks in advanced!
Derwin0
join:2003-07-16

Derwin0

said by evanbills:
1.) Can I use an ATA186 with Packet8?
No, Packet8 only uses the DTA-310.

Cam
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Luther, OK

Cam

Premium Member

Packet8's parent company produces the DTA-310, that is the device you will have to use with Packet8.

This link...
»pulver.com/fwd/spfwd.html
...has information about interconnect agreements between FWD and other providers. It doesn't say anything about P8.
Boggyboy
join:2003-08-16
Niceville, FL

Boggyboy to evanbills

to evanbills
Can I call packet8 numbers with FWD?

Supposedly, you can use your 11 digit Packet8 number with "@packet8.net" appended.

nyfaisal
@mindspring.com

nyfaisal

Anon

I tried 11digit@packet8.net in FWD client == it doesn't work.
nyfaisal

nyfaisal to evanbills

Anon

to evanbills
Do I need any special configuration of DTA 310? There's a SIP menu with following options. What do I do to make it work with FWD?

SIP Configuration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIP Server Settings
IP Address:
Port:
Domain Name*:
Send Registration Request

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gateway Settings
Dial Plan:
Transport: UDPTCP

Phone Number CallerID Name Port* AEC On User Name Password
Line1: ONOFF

Cam
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Luther, OK

Cam

Premium Member

As my post above said, there is not yet any inter-operation between FWD and Packet8. It is coming though.
jeffpulver
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Melville, NY

jeffpulver

Premium Member

Cam,

We tested with Packet8 months ago. We were working fine on their test network. I haven't heard back from them to know when/if they plan on going forward.

My focus right now is the interconnection between FWD and Vonage which I think will be much more useful given the size of our collective user communities.

/jeff
phoneman5711
Premium Member
join:2003-09-30

phoneman5711 to evanbills

Premium Member

to evanbills
"My focus right now is the interconnection between FWD and Vonage which I think will be much more useful given the size of our collective user communities."

Does either FWD or Vonage have directories of users? I recently got VoicePulse and they do not.

If there is no directory, what is the advantage of interconnection? You still need to personally know other people who have the same service.
jeffpulver
Premium Member
Melville, NY

jeffpulver

Premium Member

FWD has a public whitepages...but you will need to know the Vonage number you are going to call.

you need to have a valid FWD account to have access to the whitepages.
floshcannon
join:2003-06-05
Ashland, MO

floshcannon to jeffpulver

to jeffpulver

Jeff,

So let me get this straight - you guys have been testing with Packet8 months ago, and no one called you back? Are these guys serious??

This is pretty ridiculous that they wouldn't call you back. Can you think of any particular reason why they would NOT want to interop with you guys?

Thanks in advance.
Floshcannon
bfranks
join:2002-06-22
Arlington, VA

bfranks to evanbills

to evanbills
It would probably be cheaper for them in the long run to implement this wouldn't it? It would save them a little bit of money.

The only reason they may not want to do this is if one family member has vonage, and is trying to persuade the other to get it, they could just sign up for a free FWD account, thus a loss of potential sub for them.

These cases would be few and far between, and probably would benefit them more to just interconnect with FWD and similar services.

- B
floshcannon
Ashland, MO

floshcannon

I just want to know if this is arrogance on behalf of Packet8 or just plain stupidity on behalf on the exectutives over there.

PhoneBoy
Google "No Agenda"
join:2002-01-02
Gig Harbor, WA

PhoneBoy to phoneman5711

to phoneman5711
Today, Vonage customers can call FWD with Libretel (thanks, Jeff . Of course, that doesn't address the other direction very well, nor does it make it as easy as dialing a single number.

I'm looking forward to being able to dial FWD numbers from my Vonage handset. I'd especially like to be able to dial 612 from my Vonage handset, tho probably not going to happen.

-- PhoneBoy
jeffpulver
Premium Member
Melville, NY

jeffpulver to floshcannon

Premium Member

to floshcannon
said by floshcannon:

Jeff,

So let me get this straight - you guys have been testing with Packet8 months ago...

All I'm saying is that we did our initial testing with them months ago and I'm waiting on what the next steps (if any) will be. Hopefully their interconnection with FWD is of interest and if so I expect it will go into production in the short term.

FWD has about 30 interconnect relationships in place, but we have not announced many of them due to requests from our partners. Over time I expect we will announce some of the strategic relationships that have been set up.
floshcannon
Ashland, MO

floshcannon

Thanks Jeff

nyfaisal
@utk.edu

nyfaisal to evanbills

Anon

to evanbills
Why packet8 won't want (or delay) interconnection with FWD:
They have a $5.95 / month basic line that charges 8 cents per minute for both incoming and outgoing call. Interconnection with FWD as IP-IP service will mean loss of revenue for them, since (at least) my girlfriend will be able to call me with any sipphone for fwd, with no charges for me or her. I have $19.95 plan now, and plan to move to $5.95 plan if fwd (or sipphone.com) connectivity is implemented.
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

At the same time, some people will choose a provider based on the fact that their friends abroad can call them for free with a SIP compatible service.

Also, just a thought, but since you can dial a packet8 number by SIP address, could you assign a number to an Packet8 account through enum or someone else which could be directed "dialed" from FWD?

nyfaisal
@utk.edu

nyfaisal to evanbills

Anon

to evanbills
"Also, just a thought, but since you can dial a packet8 number by SIP address, could you assign a number to an Packet8 account through enum or someone else which could be directed "dialed" from FWD?"

You cannot dial any sipphone from your packet8 account. You can only call any PSTN number or packet8 account. I wish they at least supported forwarding to 747 area code(Sipphone) so that I could give a sipphone to someone and call them to a local number.
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

From what I understand, you can call a packet-8 phone from a SIP based phone by calling the 11 digit Packet8 number with "@packet8.net" at the end. That sure sounds like a sip protocol. From packet-8, you cannot call a SIP phone.

If you want to give a SIP phone to some so that you can call them, what you can do if you are on an unlimited dialing plan is give them a free world dialup phone and either call it through libretel or assign a number to it through ipkall.com

pcmeet
Official Dta Guru
join:2003-09-15
Montgomery, AL

pcmeet

said by stufried:
From what I understand, you can call a packet-8 phone from a SIP based phone by calling the 11 digit Packet8 number with "@packet8.net" at the end.
This will not work, I get a busy signal when I call my Packet8 using my X-lite for FWD, any packet8 can reach FWD member through the W. State 360 area code from ipkall or using Libretel access numbers »www.libretel.com/access.html

right now there is no way to call FWD members from Packet8 although Jeff said they test it in the past and was fine.