Premium Member
join:2001-05-23
Vancouver, BC

3 recommendations

samburgers

Premium Member

[request] Accepted Answer - New Feature

Way to go justin, you did it again

I see now you can do this on threads that you started only. Then you can use the thumbs up to indicate that was the answer that you were looking for.

Great
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

Re: Accepted Answer - New Feature

I just saw this in a thread too.

This is a much welcome change.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

removed to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
Thumbs DOWN!

Big, bulky, annoying. "______'s idea helped. Thanks guys!" would've done the trick...

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
uhm.. I'm definitely against this feature, but if it's going to stay, then can we get a non annoying graphic?

at LEAST some transparency.. that way it doesn't interfere with the dark themes.

eightyone x
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28

1 recommendation

eightyone x to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
»/r0/do ··· hic1.gif

I think this would look better with the different themes
[text was edited by author 2003-09-03 03:06:41]

eve8
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

eve8 to removed

Premium Member

to removed
said by removed:
Thumbs DOWN!

Big, bulky, annoying. "______'s idea helped. Thanks guys!" would've done the trick...
Yeah, that would have worked fine.

slash
MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston

slash to samburgers

MVM

to samburgers
Thanks Justin!

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

6 recommendations

Kalford to samburgers

MVM

to samburgers
Its a very well intended addition and seems to be a nice idea . . . at first glance.

But when people start flagging things as "accepted answer" that are the wrong advice I can see it leading to problems (or worse the potential problems that will occur when "malicious" members, that think they "Own", start purposely abusing the feature.).

There is also the consideration that this feature will lead people (future readers) to ignore otherwise perfectly good advice from others and/or more importantly missing the correct answer and wind up implementing a potentially damaging "solution" flagged as the "accepted answer".

Let's be realistic folks - The person starting the thread is looking for help, meaning they don't know the right answer to begin with. They may not be the right one to be flagging any specific answer as the correct one. (and this is how such a tag will be interpreted by most coming to the site)

and one last thought on this. . . Have you ever spent hours fixing someone's system because they followed the wrong advice of some other "well intended" person?

INTENS1
Never Stop Trying
MVM
join:2002-04-21
Midwest

1 recommendation

INTENS1

MVM

I like it, but the concerns/ideas stated above have merit. I say let's give it a try and if it doesn't seem to be working as intended, at least then we will have some examples to base any necessary changes that may need to be made.

Flagger
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Weimville

Flagger to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
The area under the username is already pretty cluttered as it is. I would vote for something less intrusive if possible. However, I do like the idea of the original poster being able to let the person know that solution worked for them. Will let others know at a glance their problem was resolved.

Hard enough to get people to come back and post that their problem was solved though.

Would be nice if there was a way to incorporate those threads with problems solved into the search so those that use the search function can easily find a thread with their problem and a solution.
[text was edited by author 2003-09-03 09:15:04]

INTENS1
Never Stop Trying
MVM
join:2002-04-21
Midwest

INTENS1

MVM

said by Flagger:
The area under the username is already pretty cluttered as it is. I would vote for something less intrusive if possible.
I can honestly say that the design/layout is a work in process

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Sarah to drew

to drew
said by drew:
at LEAST some transparency.. that way it doesn't interfere with the dark themes.
Transparency is on its way... don't worry. A JPG preview was used instead of a transparent file due to some file format mishaps. It will be fixed.

Geez, see if I ever try to design a graphic again...;)

IcEr3K
Premium Member
join:2001-01-19
Los Angeles, CA

IcEr3K to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
I think DSLR should consider a new design.. :/

PingPong3
join:2001-02-02
Overhere, HI

PingPong3 to samburgers

to samburgers
Ahhh finally!

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to samburgers

MVM

to samburgers
i love it!!

THANKS GUYS

now, if we can just get folks to use it regularly, but AFTER they are sure the problem is fixed.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

5 recommendations

justin to samburgers

Mod

to samburgers
If it causes problems in, say, the entertainment forums, it'll just be enabled for the tech forums only.
13120635 (banned)
Watching in silence
join:2001-01-03
Aurora, CO

13120635 (banned)

said by justin:
If it causes problems in, say, the entertainment forums, it'll just be enabled for the tech forums only.
It doesn't seem bothersome to me, but that may be a better solution.

draven

join:2002-02-20
my bunker

1 recommendation

draven to removed

to removed
said by removed:
Thumbs DOWN!

Not when you've got to scan a 150 post thread for the answer you're looking for....

fire100_old
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Michigan

fire100_old to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:
I originally didn't like the idea, but I would say it would be a great feature if it were to be only enabled in the tech forums.

acehyde
Tired.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14

3 recommendations

acehyde to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
Has there been a FAQ posted on the Accepted Answer yet (if so, can the image have a hyperlink to the FAQ attached?)

Is there going to be a way to revoke the Accepted Answer if it turns out to be not correct (or there is a better way)?

Optimized
MVM,
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

Optimized to samburgers

MVM,

to samburgers

What if you find out it really wasn't the answer?

I think a potential issue is when people are click happy and mark something as an "Accepted Answer" and then realize that it did not work.

The way it is now you cannot go back and remove the "Accepted Answer" mark, can this be modified to allow it be removed as well?
Optimized

2 recommendations

Optimized to acehyde

MVM,

to acehyde

Re: Accepted Answer - New Feature

said by acehyde:
Has there been a FAQ posted on the Accepted Answer yet (if so, can the image have a hyperlink to the FAQ attached?)
»/faq/8043

PingPong3
join:2001-02-02
Overhere, HI

1 recommendation

PingPong3 to justin

to justin
Click for full size
How about if the system added a link like this to the first post also?

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to samburgers

MVM

to samburgers
At my first glance....I do NOT want to repeat what my thoughts were BUT I know that given time this feature will work it's way through development and will be just another added addition that most will find very useful.

Thanks for the addition whomever
Buddel5
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Germany

Buddel5 to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
Accepted Answer? I "accept" all answers even though I do not necessarily like them in some cases. Do we really need such a feature?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

said by Buddel5:
Accepted Answer? I "accept" all answers even though I do not necessarily like them in some cases. Do we really need such a feature?
If you don't want to highlight any one answer as being spot on, then don't use it.
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

2 recommendations

Buddel5

Premium Member

said by justin:
If you don't want to highlight any one answer as being spot on, then don't use it.
Accepted Answer.

KeysCapt

join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

KeysCapt to samburgers

to samburgers
From the FAQ: "Accepted Answer: This feature allows for the original user who posted a question in the forums to indicate to others that he/she has received an acceptable answer to the question, so there is no need to continue posting responses."

I would suggest that this be considered an occasional-use feature. Where a user poses a question that could receive many different responses, possibly technical in nature. "What's the easiest way to convert my Flintstone modem to a Space Continuum Transporter?"

When that user sees a response that works, and he/she is satisfied, the "Accepted Answer" button is pushed, and others know the problem is solved.

I think it's a very useful idea in that context. Like liver (ugh!), it ain't for everybody.
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

1 recommendation

Buddel5 to samburgers

Premium Member

to samburgers
Maybe this is quite a useful feature, but I don't really like the word "accepted" in this context. I mean someone who asks a question will probably "accept" most answers, but not all of them will solve his or her problem.

What about "Problem Solved" or something like this?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

said by Buddel5:
Maybe this is quite a useful feature, but I don't really like the word "accepted" in this context. I mean someone who asks a question will probably "accept" most answers, but not all of them will solve his or her problem.

What about "Problem Solved" or something like this?
i understand it to mean that the person accepted that answer as the one that ultimately fixed the problem. it can be used multiple times in the same thread. so if they find that more than 1 answer fixed it, they can vote to accept the ones they feel worked.