All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Captain Smith
@208.24.x.x

Captain Smith

Anon

Big Packet8 Upgrade

Can anyone fill me in on the big software upgrade that Packet8 underwent this weekend?? I know about the caller ID and that works well but I was having some serious issues (dropped calls mainly) yesterday and the day before. It appears to be much better today. So any other changes than caller id? Thanks in advance.

chex5
join:2000-05-24
NorthEnd BOS

chex5

Hi: Ok, so heres the run-down.

Upgrade:

- Fixed incoming caller ID, now displays the 10-digits, and not the '1'.
- Broke, forwarded calls to another number, now displays the P8 number, instead of the ID of the call that is being forwarded.
- Broke: some people are reporting that the outgoing caller ID is now displaying the '1' minus the last number, but I'm not seeing that on my line.

- Seemed to fix some operations issues ( calling a # and getting dead air, ) but dropped calls seems to have increased.

- My voicemail is still down, I dont know about others.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Captain Smith

Premium Member

to Captain Smith
Broke using not DTA 310 devices for outgoing calls. But there is a very simple "hack" you can make if you wish to continue using other devices.

chex5
join:2000-05-24
NorthEnd BOS

chex5

That was never supposed to be allowed in the 1st place, so I don't really see how you can say they broke this.

- Chex
said by joako:
Broke using not DTA 310 devices for outgoing calls. But there is a very simple "hack" you can make if you wish to continue using other devices.
floshcannon
join:2003-06-05
Ashland, MO

floshcannon

I spoke to Packet8 yesterday. Apparently the upgrade was a BIG deal. It is going to enable Packet8 to handle a much larger scale of callers, and callers. It was also intended to upgrade voice quality. There have been some issues (which you guys point out) that they are working on. Most of the bugs they are working out. Nonetheless, the call-quality, I find, is far superior now (on phones that aren't having the problem)

packet8 dude
@aol.com

packet8 dude

Anon

Working great now. I hope it was worth the trouble. Wish they could have posted an announcement.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to Captain Smith

Premium Member

to Captain Smith
said by Captain Smith:
Can anyone fill me in on the big software upgrade that Packet8 underwent this weekend?? I know about the caller ID and that works well but I was having some serious issues (dropped calls mainly) yesterday and the day before. It appears to be much better today. So any other changes than caller id? Thanks in advance.
When the calls go through they work great...but is just a pain to make the call go through. It now takes at least 3 times to call one number. I just get dead air after I enter in the phone number. Sometimes the link light will be blinking indicating the call is going through but you can't hear anything. Sometimes the link light will not be blinking. Another nuisance is the outgoing caller ID shows a 1 at the beginning causing all bellsouth lines to ignore the caller ID information and display "unknown caller", so people think I'm a telemarketer or something and don't answer. Or if they have privacy director service on their phone I get hit with that too.
spired
join:2002-09-30
japan

spired to Captain Smith

to Captain Smith
One other change. Before the upgrade, incoming calls forwarded to an international number were not billed at international rates. Now they are.

Unfortunately, their web site still only allows 11 digits in the call forwarding box so you can't forward to any numbers longer than 11 digits (including country code).

Still getting dropped calls and general quality problems with incoming calls. My callers also get a "This extension is not valid. Thank you for using Packet8 services from 8x8" message sometimes.