Buddel5
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

Trojan Hunter 3.6 Error Message

Click for full size
When I right-click on a folder to scan it with TH 3.6, I often – but not always – get this error message. Does anyone know what this means? What can I do about it?

MagnusM
Premium Member
join:2001-07-07

MagnusM

Premium Member

Hi,

Does upgrading to the latest build of TrojanHunter 3.6 help? (»www.misec.net/products/T ··· nter.exe)
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

Thanks for trying to help me, Magnus. I'm currently using Build 739. Is this latest build? I uninstalled TH and then re-installed it, but this didn't help either.

Matt Day
join:2003-05-05
uk

Matt Day

741 is the latest build I believe.

MagnusM
Premium Member

MagnusM to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
Also try deleting the file Treestate.dat in the TrojanHunter directory and see if that helps.
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

Thanks for helping me. I will now download Build 741 and delete this Treestate.dat file. Hope this helps.

Rip2dbone
join:2001-05-05
Queens Village, NY

Rip2dbone to Matt Day

to Matt Day
Is this the latest build?
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

I that it was, but Matt Day said the latest build was 741. I really don't know.

Allnew
MVM
join:2003-02-01
Denmark- EU.

Allnew

MVM

Just checked mine.
The latest build IS 741
Allnew

Allnew

MVM

Just download from the link Magnus gave.
You can install on top of the old, but remember to unload the TH guard.
Then you will be on build 741.
I just did it.:)
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

Thanks for the info, Allnew. I'm on dial-up, so it will take me ages to download this build. Hopefully, this error message will then be a thing of the past.

Allnew
MVM
join:2003-02-01
Denmark- EU.

Allnew

MVM

Been on dial up long time ago.
Getting broadband really feels like heaven.
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

I don't know why, but this time it's taking unusually long to download this file. I'm still waiting ... ... ...

MagnusM
Premium Member

MagnusM to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
You can also try the mirror at Computer Cops: »computercops.biz/downloa ··· nter.exe

If the download time is a big problem I would also suggest first seeing if deleting Treestate.dat fixes the problem. In that case you don't need to install the latest build.

muf9
Captain of the axe
Premium Member
join:2003-01-04
uk

muf9 to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
Couple of questions.
1. How do you know when a new build/version comes out?
2. Why does the live update not upgrade you to the latest build?

I would think if the build cannot be updated through the live update that something would pop up warning that a new version is available. Just seems I am left guessing. I was using version 3.5 for two months before i found out 3.6 was available!! I'm a paid up registered user. The product is great, the quality of update information is poor at best. Sorry, but thats a fact.

muf
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5 to MagnusM

Premium Member

to MagnusM
said by MagnusM:
You can also try the mirror at Computer Cops: »computercops.biz/downloa ··· nter.exe

Brilliant, this is much faster to download.
said by MagnusM:

If the download time is a big problem I would also suggest first seeing if deleting Treestate.dat fixes the problem. In that case you don't need to install the latest build.

Too late. I've just uninstalled the old build and deleted the remaining files (apart from the licence.dat, of course). But it doesn't really matter because the other link you gave me is just great. Again, thanks very much for your help, Magnus.

MagnusM
Premium Member

MagnusM to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
Hi,

Currently the only way to know if a new build is released is to check the web page or various forums like this one. A feature that will be implemented in an upcoming version is the ability of LiveUpdate to notify the user if a new version is available. I don't know how quickly this can be implemented. The original plan was that it would go into version 4, but since there have been several requests about this it might already be in 3.7. Not promising anything, though...

muf9
Captain of the axe
Premium Member
join:2003-01-04
uk

muf9 to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
Thanks for the quick response Magnus. Sorry to sound a little grumpy. More frustration than anything. Your suggested improvements will be greatly appreciated. A great product that has already saved me a few times and even spotted a couple of things KAV missed!

muf
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5 to MagnusM

Premium Member

to MagnusM
Yeah, would be really great to implement such a feature, so that everybody will be informed when a new build/version is released. I'm already looking forward to it.

MagnusM
Premium Member

MagnusM to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
For anyone interested, here are the things that are already implemented in the 3.7 beta

- Full Windows XP theme support
- Scan report contains clickable "Tell me more..." hyperlinks for certain alerts (notably port alerts)
- GUI bug fixed: First and Next buttons partially hidden
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5

Premium Member

Downloading the new build (741) from the computercops server was no problem at all. I wonder why it would have taken me ages to download it from the TrojanHunter server. Anyway, I just right-clicked on a couple of folders to scan them with TH and it seems as if this error message doesn’t pop up any more. Hopefully my problem is solved now. Thank you very much for your help guys. What would I have done without this truly great forum and without Magnus' unparalleled support?!
Buddel5

Buddel5 to MagnusM

Premium Member

to MagnusM
said by MagnusM:

...I would also suggest first seeing if deleting Treestate.dat fixes the problem. ...
One more question, if you don't mind. What does this Treestate.dat file do? Do I need it or can I just delete it, so that I can avoid further error messages?

MagnusM
Premium Member

MagnusM to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
It contains saved information about the folders you have selected for scanning. It seems it got corrupted in your case, so deleting it fixed the problem, but you'll have to re-select the folders you want to scan.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to Buddel5

MVM

to Buddel5
Since the new build was brought up in here, can I safely ignore the "contmenu.dll" warning when installing over top?
Answer is yes: »Re: TrojanHunter 3.6 Build 739 Released

[text was edited by author 2003-09-09 16:04:22]

MagnusM
Premium Member

MagnusM to Buddel5

Premium Member

to Buddel5
Yes, you can ignore it.
Buddel5
Premium Member
Germany

Buddel5 to MagnusM

Premium Member

to MagnusM
said by MagnusM:
It contains saved information about the folders you have selected for scanning. It seems it got corrupted in your case, so deleting it fixed the problem, but you'll have to re-select the folders you want to scan.

Yes, this file probably got corrupted. Hope I won't have to delete it again. Thanks, Magnus.