spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mopsie
join:2003-05-29
UK

mopsie

Win XP wireless network setup

I've just fitted an Intel 2100B3 mini pci wireless card and because it didn't come with a client utility, I'm having to use Win XP wireless network setup. I'm using 128 bit WEP but when I try to enter the passphrase, I get an error message saying “the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters”. The help facility states that you have to specify the network keyword with the format and length, but it doesn't say how you do that.

Any ideas ????????
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

What router/access point are you using. If both card and AP are not the same brand you should not try to use a pass phrase. You should type in a series of characters to make up your KEY. Each manufacture could use a different code to determine what the KEY is from a pass phrase. Do you have the drivers for the mini PCI card? Also if you go to Intel you might be able to download a utility. I have a Dell True Mobile card and use the Win ZWC. It works well but the Dell utility was installed when I loaded the drivers.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box to mopsie

Premium Member

to mopsie
Shootist is correct! You should use the passphrase on the AP to create the key. Then from there you use that key on your pc/laptop/handheld, etc.
mopsie
join:2003-05-29
UK

mopsie

Thanks-I've already done that but the AP gives me a 26 character hex code and the XP wireless network setup only accepts 23 characters??

The AP is a T-DSL 130 and the card is an Intel 2100B3 mini pci. I've tried the Intel site but there doesn't seem to be a utility available and I don't know what chipset this card uses. I'm using the latest drivers downloaded from the Intel site but it didn't include any client manager/utility.??
mopsie

mopsie

OK-now got ot sorted. Even though the WEP field only accepts 23 hex characters, you can actually type in 26!!

Beats me but it works....
JimEagle
join:2003-09-18
Fort Worth, TX

JimEagle

There is not a one-to-one correspondence between the characters of the pass phrase and the hex value characters. The Pass phrase is just a simpler way to remember the code. Different mfgrs used different algorithms to covert the pass phrase into hex code.