All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bob0000
join:2003-08-18

Bob0000

Comcast Account Suspended for going over "limit"

Well, it seems that the day has finally arrived. After getting the one warning message in mid July, my account has been suspended on September 12th. I would have posted earlier, but I had to wait until I got to work. My internet was cut off without further warning. At first, I thought it was a connection problem, but tech support told me to call the Comcast IP Abuse department and wouldn't tell me anything futher. I suspect they weren't in over the weekend (had to leave a message and they haven't called back) but hopefully I can get ahold of someone today and chew comcast out. I'll update this once I can get ahold of comcast, hopefully I can get the number of the "limit" out of them. Wish me luck.
grouchy951
join:2000-09-23
Chicago, IL

grouchy951

Re: Comcast Account Suspended for going over "limi

Make sure to have them give you credit for every day that you are without service.

Do you think they emailed you your disconnection notice?
MrJames
join:2003-05-19
Jacksonville, FL

MrJames to Bob0000

to Bob0000

Re: Comcast Account Suspended for going over "limit"

Any idea about how much bandwidth you used?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to Bob0000

Premium Member

to Bob0000
said by Bob0000 See Profile, from another topic:
There are already caps, comcast suspended my account for downloading too much.
Bob0000 See Profile, do you upload a lot, or do you think your suspension was triggered solely by download usage?

china crisis
join:2003-05-28

china crisis to Bob0000

to Bob0000
Do not hang up the phone until they give you a defenit "LIMIT",because you are doing nothing wrong until they do.
ihaddsl
join:2001-12-05
/dev/hda0

ihaddsl to Bob0000

to Bob0000
said by Bob0000:
Well, it seems that the day has finally arrived. After getting the one warning message in mid July, my account has been suspended on September 12th. I would have posted earlier, but I had to wait until I got to work. My internet was cut off without further warning. At first, I thought it was a connection problem, but tech support told me to call the Comcast IP Abuse department and wouldn't tell me anything futher. I suspect they weren't in over the weekend (had to leave a message and they haven't called back) but hopefully I can get ahold of someone today and chew comcast out. I'll update this once I can get ahold of comcast, hopefully I can get the number of the "limit" out of them. Wish me luck.
Hmm, perhaps you uncapped your cable modem?

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

halfband to Bob0000

Premium Member

to Bob0000
The thread for the first warning was here:
»Comcast Bandwidth Exceeded Notice!!!
DoubleT8
Premium Member
join:2002-04-09
Dallas, TX

DoubleT8 to ihaddsl

Premium Member

to ihaddsl
said by ihaddsl:

Hmm, perhaps you uncapped your cable modem?

They don't normally give 'warnings' to uncappers and then wait 2 months to pull the plug. They're usually very quick to act in cases of uncapping.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to halfband

Premium Member

to halfband
That's a long topic. Here's the "nutshell" version of Bob0000 See Profile's violation, for anyone who isn't up-to-date:

As a result of "excessive bandwidth usage", Bob0000 See Profile, a silver subscriber, received the "Bandwidth Usage Limitation" violation letter last month. (sample letter provided by hqh510 See Profile)

Bandwidth Usage Exceeded
(click to enlarge)
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/408131~574eb5cc0e6372b56cb455fc5c6ee4ee/aup.jpg

The letter doesn't mention anything about exceeding the rate limit.
vic102482
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Upper Marlboro, MD

vic102482 to Bob0000

Premium Member

to Bob0000
Thats BS you should get a refund for everyday that you dont have service.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

2 recommendations

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Okay,
He got warned for doing something, and proceeded to ignore it, so now he should get credit for everyday he's without service??

Wow - I wish that was the way it was growing up!

deadmeat
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21
Sonoma, CA

deadmeat to Bob0000

Premium Member

to Bob0000
Doesn't the TOS say that if you upload more than such and such in a 24 hour period your abusing the service?
vizionblind
join:2002-01-19
Bealeton, VA

vizionblind

but isn't it wrong they don't tell you what the limit is??
hackysak
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23
Stirling, NJ

hackysak to deadmeat

Premium Member

to deadmeat
said by deadmeat:
Doesn't the TOS say that if you upload more than such and such in a 24 hour period your abusing the service?
DeadMeat, I assume you mean download.. How the hell could you possible upload TOO much on a 128k (or 256K, whatever it may be these days) link???

So now, Comcast is going to up their d/l speed so that customers can potentially reach their monthly maximum sooner?? My God, I'm glad I left them long ago.. What a bunch of bull poopie..

Bob0000, got any other possibilities for high speed internet by you?? You might want to explore other options and tell Comcast to go f*ck themselves.. You really do feel much better afterward.. Trust me, I know..

J D McDorce
Premium Member
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI

J D McDorce to deadmeat

Premium Member

to deadmeat
said by deadmeat:
There are no objective or quantified bandwidth or use limits in the TOS. There are subjective limits, as contained within the AUP, as shown here:
said by »www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp :
You must ensure that your activity (including, but not limited to, use made by you or others of any Personal Web Features) does not improperly restrict, inhibit, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an unusually large burden on the network. In addition, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict, inhibit, disrupt, degrade or impede Comcast's ability to deliver the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network Services.
ihaddsl
join:2001-12-05
/dev/hda0

1 recommendation

ihaddsl to hackysak

to hackysak
said by hackysak:

DeadMeat, I assume you mean download.. How the hell could you possible upload TOO much on a 128k (or 256K, whatever it may be these days) link???

So now, Comcast is going to up their d/l speed so that customers can potentially reach their monthly maximum sooner?? My God, I'm glad I left them long ago.. What a bunch of bull poopie..

[snip]
Let me inform you on the simple commercial realities of providing residential broadband. You do *not* pay the actual cost of providing the available bandwidth 24/7. You pay for an oversubscribed link, which under normal use should be sufficient for most people to attain their advertised speeds. If everyone ran full bore 24/7 we'd all be crawling.

That's just the simple fact. Now I'm not defending Comcast, and they should publish their limits but we all need to recognize this is a fact of residential broadband.

flame away.
99664227 (banned)
Heavily MODerated
join:2002-11-21
USA

99664227 (banned)

said by ihaddsl:
said by hackysak:

Running any type of servers will cause the Comcast Commie Brigade to terminate your account.

Life goes on.

[snip]
Let me inform you on the simple commercial realities of providing residential broadband. You do *not* pay the actual cost of providing the available bandwidth 24/7. You pay for an oversubscribed link, which under normal use should be sufficient for most people to attain their advertised speeds. If everyone ran full bore 24/7 we'd all be crawling.

That's just the simple fact. Now I'm not defending Comcast, and they should publish their limits but we all need to recognize this is a fact of residential broadband.

flame away.

Agreed that users shouldn't be downloading 24/7, that just pisses off your neighbor who is trying to read his email.

Comcast is the cable god in most systems, if you don't play by there rules then your subject to termination. That's why they have such a grey area for the AUP and TOS.

No flame necessary.
Bob0000

Bob0000

Well, I called the number that the tech support instructed me to call (the Comcast Abuse department 856-317-7272). Apparently you cannot actually get someone to talk to, so I had to leave a message for them to get back to me.
To answer a few questions, it wasn't from uncapping the modem. It was, as far as I know, since I wasn't given any information beyond the warning, due to downloading too much.
Since they cut me off on the 12th of the month, I can only imagine how low their limit must be. I do not believe that I downloaded any more than 30 gb max within that time
frame. Still waiting for that call back, so we'll see how it goes.

makaze6
join:2002-01-04

makaze6 to grouchy951

to grouchy951

said by grouchy951:
Make sure to have them give you credit for every day that you are without service.

when they cut your service for abuse. they stop the billing.
Bob0000

Bob0000

Sorry about the delay. I think I hit topic reply instead of reply. I called the Comcast Abuse department (856-317-7272), the number I was instructed to call by tech support. Apparently, you cannot talk to anyway, it just asks to leave a message.
To clear up a question or two, I have not uncapped my modem. This was due to, to my best knowledge, downloading too much since I did received a letter in mid August.
However, this leads me to ask just how low their limit must be. Since I was cut off on the 12th of this month, I do not believe that I have downloaded more than 30 gb max (the new 200 gb hd doesn't arrive until this week).
Well, still waiting for their call back, so hopefully we'll see what is going on with their policy.
Expand your moderator at work

teddystacker
join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA

teddystacker to Bob0000

to Bob0000

@Bob0000

Ok ,I had my first warning letter on the 9th of this month.I rang that answer phone no. EVERY hour until they at last called me back.I spent 2 hours on the phone with the guy that rang me back (always being super calm and asking questions that I knew he was not capable of answering),then got transfered to the "team leader" and spent another hour on the phone with him.(The first guy kept saying thing like "I am going to cut you off now Sir ,as hats all I have to say to you",but after years of management confrence calls etc I used every trick I knew to keep him on the phone).I think the bottom line here (reading between the lines) is that they want totally "rid" of the top 2% downloaders (users) of the system.Since I got my letter I have cut my useage by about 85% but am still 100% sure that I will be suspended next month around 10th.You see,being as Comcast dont tell you what you have actually d/l'ed that is over the limit,the next month they can still claim your "being a bad boy",as they did not tell you the limit in the fist place - really great way of doing it - someone has indeed put alot of thought into all this at the Comcast End.Great shame,but it looks this way..

link222
join:2001-12-21
Cranbury, NJ

link222 to Bob0000

to Bob0000

What about going to your local municipality regarding them canceling your account... don't cable companies still have to have franchise with the local governments ....Someone has to reel these companies in ... canceling accounts for excessive downloading on what is an "unlimited" service ...
vic102482
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Upper Marlboro, MD

vic102482 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:
Okay,
He got warned for doing something, and proceeded to ignore it, so now he should get credit for everyday he's without service??

Wow - I wish that was the way it was growing up!

Yeah dont cross the invisible line!

Sheesh! comcast needs to refund him money everyday that he is without it.

hbreg
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
Feasterville Trevose, PA

hbreg to makaze6

Premium Member

to makaze6

said by makaze6:
when they cut your service for abuse. they stop the billing.
But you pay in advance for service. At least i pay for the upcoming month the previous month. So if that is the case he is entitled to a refund for all of the days paid for that his account was terminated and he didn't have access to the service.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to link222

Premium Member

to link222

said by link222:
What about going to your local municipality regarding them canceling your account... don't cable companies still have to have franchise with the local governments ....Someone has to reel these companies in ... canceling accounts for excessive downloading on what is an "unlimited" service ...
Cable companies need a franchise agreement. However, the franchise authority has no control over video services (though some authorities can regulate the price of "limited basic"), and they have no control over information services (ie "cable modem" services).

I still think it's worth passing the information along to the local franchise authority, though. They need to be made aware of the situation, so they can gauge customer satisfaction.

ADDED:
When speaking to the authority, you may want to ask when the current franchise with Comcast expires, and what the chances are of non-renewal*.

* Non-renewal of an existing franchise is illegal, with a few exceptions, including franchise violations.

[text was edited by author 2003-09-15 14:21:16]

makaze6

makaze6 to Bob0000

to Bob0000
i wonder how many people who got suspended are 'uploading data' (ie.. like someone running p2p 24/7 allowing people to leach off them)
[text was edited by author 2003-09-15 14:18:51]

teddystacker
join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA

teddystacker to Bob0000

to Bob0000

@makaze

Just to confirm I was not doing and dont do anything illegal on my connection , I am a Brit living in the USA , so use my connection loads for real family stuff (video conf,send home movies to my daughter,watching soccer and Rugby matches etc etc ) - I think I have proved this has NOTHING todo with P2p and piracy etc etc.. - warez are ok for those that are into it,but its just not my scene..

ehurtley
join:2001-11-24
Portland, OR

ehurtley to grouchy951

to grouchy951
said by grouchy951:
Yes, they probably did. I used to work for (the now-dead) DirecTV DSL. Our abuse department would email the warnings. Sometimes the email would be timestamped AFTER the actual disconnection took place. I hated dealing with 'abuse' disconnects. Either the person was adamant that it wasn't a violation of the TOS (spammers,) or it was some poor joe with a virus he didn't know about.

My favorite was the guy who had been spamming ads for his eBay auctions, who insisted that we not only owed him a refund of the time he was without service, but damages for his lost income, as well. Sadly, our abuse department could not be reached directly by the end user, except by email, and I was the 'primary contact' on this guy's case. He'd call me every day, yelling at me to get his service turned back on, when all I could do is send an email to our abuse department trying to get them to hurry their asses up. (I was a 'tier 3' technician at the time, the last stop for the broadband-dispossessed. We were assigned to specific cases, so we each had to follow through a case until it was completed.)

makaze6

makaze6 to Bob0000

to Bob0000

im sorry, i just mean uploading in general..

not just illegal stuff