Click for full size
Fill it
Click for full size
The gasket
Click for full size
The back
Click for full size
The important dielectric grease
I saw that some people had been looking into waterchillers/pelts so I thought I would make a little guide for sealing up the cpu socket and surrounding area.

So you may be asking why would anyone need to do this? The simple answer is condensation. When you have a cold surface it will draw moisture out of the air causing small water droplets to forum on the surface. These small drops get larger and larger as more condensation forums. Eventually the water will drip off and kill something in your computer.

Stuff you need
1. Dielectric Grease
2. Neoprene /closed cell foam
3. Exacto knife

This is pretty simple but if you mess it up you will pay dearly for it.

Step 1.
Coat the entire area around the cpu socket with dielectric grease. The area I shaded in blue in the first picture is what you want to cover. Make sure you get it all over and inside the socket as well. All the holes of the ziff socket should be thoroughly coated.

Step 2.
Cut a small piece of neoprene the size of the space in the center of the ziff socket and insert it into the space. Put some more dielectric grease around it too. See pic 2 for an example

Step 3.
Cut a gasket to place around the outside of the ziff socket. It should be at least 1 inch greater than the outside of the outer edge of the ziff socket itself. This gasket should be high enough to make a good seal with the insulation on your cpu block.

Step 4.
If you are using peltiers or a good waterchiller you will also need to place some form of insulation on the back of the motherboard or you will get frost/condensation on it. It's also a good idea to coat the back of the board around the cpu with more dielectric grease. Once you have done that cut another piece of neoprene that just fits between the 4 mounting holes on the motherboard. That should be enough to keep the cold area on the back from being a problem. See pic 3 for more

Step 5.
The back of your cpu also needs to be coated with dielectric grease. On P4 chips make sure you get the little black things in the middle very well coated as they can short out and kill your cpu very easily. I'm getting a new cpu today so I will post a picture of that once I have it.

As you may have gathered the use of dielectric grease in this is important...so let me add this. I personally don't think you can use to much of it.......ever

If you ever need to rma/sell anything there is a simple way that I have found to remove the dielectric grease. For cpu's I use a tooth brush and 99% isopropyl alcohol and it gets it spotless. I have used this method at least 5 times now and haven't had a person yet notice I used dielectric grease.

If I think of anything else I will add it and if anyone else has anything to add please do

Steve
--
Signature virus: please copy me to your signature.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

Click for full size
Doh

Here is the grease

likwidkool
Premium
join:2002-05-05
Jersey City, NJ
reply to Exit

very nice Steve. I am sure this will really come in handy for some people!
--
What is this phrase "Running Stock" that you speak of?

DSLDUDE6
Got The Folding Farm Itch
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Norcross, GA
reply to Exit

I have a very good question...

The lines and such running into and out of the case, the water block, and fittings, Don't they collect condensation too? How do you protect everything else with the lines running in with almost sub-zero water?
--
Check out my website- »www.mike-and-christy.com ~~~ Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Exit

»[Guide] Insulating Waterblocks and tubing

--
Signature virus: please copy me to your signature.

DSLDUDE6
Got The Folding Farm Itch
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Norcross, GA
reply to Exit

That was logical,,, Thanks! Great job, now I have a direction, just need the parts.