uniqs
share rss forum feed

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

Old IM notification bug

I noticed the last few days that after viewing an IM, if I go back to the forum via my favorites button, I am getting the same IM notification. Nothing's changed on my machine and its happened on multiple computers, so it isn't a local caching issue. If I click on the favorites button a 2nd time, the IM notification goes away.

Anyone else notice this problem?
--
Tell Comcast to keep or get TechTV: »home.comcast.net/~mbernste/ttv.html

UPDATED: Watch Comcast Executives Get Grilled: »home.comcast.net/~mbernste/catv_hearing.html

Zero Gravity
Next to Arch Stanton
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Top Floor

You may want to read this.

--
Hang it here!

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:
I noticed the last few days that after viewing an IM, if I go back to the forum via my favorites button, I am getting the same IM notification. Nothing's changed on my machine and its happened on multiple computers, so it isn't a local caching issue. If I click on the favorites button a 2nd time, the IM notification goes away.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Yes - it's the caching issue with DSLR. The page isn't getting re-fetched and you still see the flashing envelope.

Does it go away when you reload the page with the browser button?

Or does it go away in about a minute anyway? That's what I am seeing.

Those using IE can set the reload to be always, automatic or never, but other browsers do not have these options.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

said by Johnny:

Yes, but it just started happening this week.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2

said by mbernste:
said by Johnny:

Yes, but it just started happening this week.
Same here. It's the site. Doesn't happen on any other boards.

Flagger
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Weimville
reply to mbernste

My issue is I see it, read it and then will leave the site (imagine that). When I come back it is flashing again and I see the same IM I had read before.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

said by Flagger:
My issue is I see it, read it and then will leave the site (imagine that). When I come back it is flashing again and I see the same IM I had read before.
I've had that happen as well. I really think there is something server-side that's getting cached. It is either that or a cookie is not being written correctly. Ironically, I just had it happen with notifications on this very topic!
--

UPDATED: Watch Comcast Executives Get Grilled: »home.comcast.net/~mbernste/catv_hearing.html

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Malaysia
reply to mbernste

I just got the same problem it luckily the faq's

quote:

Another solution, thanks to Nicole-Diana:

A system message immediately removes the "stuck" IM icon.

You can accomplish this by posting in \dev\null and selecting IM for any replies (above the signature box). Then reply to the post, and as soon as you click the system IM, the "stuck" IM icon should disappear.

Helped me remove my.
--
Broederschap Der Kraaien

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to mbernste

nobody answered the question.

If you see a flashing notification you think is OLD, then if you push REFRESH, does it go away? it does? in which case, you are seeing the cached page. If you push refresh (or click another link) and it vanishes, then it is not a server-side issue.

if I type 'news.yahoo.com' I get the old news page. If I refresh I get the new one. Its a browser problem, typed URLs do not seem to talk to the server at all if they can deal you an old page from the cache.

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium
Malaysia
reply to mbernste

Justin, for my it did not go away from refresh or going to other sites and come back. Pressing refresh did not help.
--
Broederschap Der Kraaien

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium
Malaysia
reply to mbernste

I got another. A IM bug from system. This one just won't go away, my previous which was from system as well went away after I tried one of the fixing methods. I tried »Site FAQ »Stuck message flashing! don't work on it.

I tried so far:
Refresh several times
Browse another website then come back
Logout/re-login
\dev\null IM notification
Using another browser to login

For third method in »Site FAQ »Stuck message flashing! won't work for me due to I do not have anybody on my ignore list. system bug came along with a IM from a friend. Hopefully its just a server issue.
--
Broederschap Der Kraaien

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

said by teh:
I got another. A IM bug from system. This one just won't go away, my previous which was from system as well went away after I tried one of the fixing methods. I tried »Site FAQ »Stuck message flashing! don't work on it.
Well I had a look..
it seems you DO have 1 unread message from System, date is 25th september..
If you can get that message to display, (with a yellow background) the read flag should be enabled on it, and the problem will go away..
Do you show any messages from system? is it in page 1 of your instant message inbox? how about page 2...?

if you still can't get it to display and thus reset the 'read' flag, I'll have to look harder at why not.

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium
Malaysia
reply to mbernste

I can't get that 25 sept system message to be read. I don't even see it. That one must be my previous system IM bug which I cured by IM in dev/null. I however only have 1 msg in system box which I kept from being upgraded to premium. I just deleted that.
--
Broederschap Der Kraaien

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to justin

said by justin:
nobody answered the question.

If you see a flashing notification you think is OLD, then if you push REFRESH, does it go away?
I have the same problem on my iPAQ (Windows Mobile 2003). If I hit refresh it does not go away.
--

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

reply to teh

oh ok
I think its because it was both deleted and yet unread
probably deleted because delete-all does not care about whether messages are read or not.
this explains it.

I'll reset the deleted flags on ALL messages that are deleted and unread (32 of them). And change the delete-all code.

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium
Malaysia
reply to mbernste

Thank YOU justin its finally gone
--
Broederschap Der Kraaien

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ
reply to justin

said by justin:
oh ok
I think its because it was both deleted and yet unread
probably deleted because delete-all does not care about whether messages are read or not.
this explains it.

I'll reset the deleted flags on ALL messages that are deleted and unread (32 of them). And change the delete-all code.
Will this help avoid deleting IM's we have not read yet Justin?

I've been guilty of clearing IM's (delete-ALL) at times when a new IM from the same exact member was on the way in that I had not seen yet. That of course causes the lovely flashing IM envelope with no IM to read.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

delete-all and delete now refuse to delete those that are unread. As I look at yet another flashing message from wcwaterboy, this is somewhat annoying, but I'll survive.

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

Thanks! Much appreciated!