share rss forum feed

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX
kudos:1

Technique! Week 10

Welcome to Technique! Week 10. Week 9 is officially closed for new photos. Special thanks to Edit This See Profile for sharing his technique called "All Cut Up". That technique is a blast!

The goal of this thread is for one of the members of the forum to share a photographic technique with the rest of the forum. Then we can all practice this technique & upload our results. The technique doesn't have to be limited to digital editing. It can be related to other things as well, like exposure, depth-of-field, etc. A good example of a technique thread can be found here.

Who would like to share a technique with the forum?

ChrisJT
Premium
join:2001-12-20
Torrance, CA
Looking forward to this weeks technique!
--
You get what you pay for.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

reply to MLOK5
nevermind - doesn't work with all browsers - nevermind
[text was edited by author 2003-09-21 09:08:16]

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM

3 recommendations

reply to MLOK5
How about a variation of "all cut up".

1. Take a picture, any picture, that has a theme to it.

2. Find another picture of a simple shape that conveys the same theme.

3. Use the simple shape (in various sizes and angles) as a selection guide to make several individual layers of areas of the original picture. (Select the shape, then click on the original picture layer, and hit ctrl-c (copy), ctrl-v(paste)).

4. Position these individual layers directly over their corresponding area of the original picture.

5. Adjust the blending properties of these individual layers such that they cast shadows, have embossed properties, whatever you like - whatever trips your trigger.

6. Play with the order of these layers to get a picture that suits your liking.

7. Reduce the contrast, brightness, or opacity of the original picture (at the bottom layer), such that the individual layers stand out better.

8. Be creative - this can be very interesting.

In the above, I also included a lower layer that included a gradient background that just barely shows through the reduced opacity rendering of the original picture layer.
--
...Well you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again...

[text was edited by author 2003-09-22 12:13:21]

Edit This
Premium
join:2001-05-08
kudos:6

reply to MLOK5

Rocketman's looks great.
[text was edited by author 2003-09-22 12:20:51]

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX

5 recommendations

reply to MLOK5
Click for full size
My try.

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM

6 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

OLYMPUS C2Z,D520Z,C220Z
8.3mm 1/50th F3.6 ISO80

79 Fender Strat
Click for full size
OLYMPUS C2Z,D520Z,C220Z
8.3mm 1/50th F3.6 ISO80

bigger - more detail
Come on, ain't we got no arteests out there...

Here is a picture of a 79 Strat that I gave my son; I took the picture just last night, the background is a pattern made from the crushed velvet liner of the guitar case.
--
...Well you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again...

[text was edited by author 2003-09-23 23:07:04]

ChrisJT
Premium
Torrance, CA

1 recommendation

reply to MLOK5

CASIO EX-Z3
5.8mm 1/40th F2.6

Geez, this is harder than I thought it would be. I spent more time coming up with the ideas than applying the techniques. But it was fun, nonetheless.
--

Macy
South Of Insanity
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-7
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag
reply to rockotman
said by rockotman:
Come on, ain't we got no arteests out there...

Here is a picture of a 79 Strat that I gave my son; I took the picture just last night, the background is a pattern made from the crushed velvet liner of the guitar case.

That is so cool!
I need help big time...no matter what I try, I can't get it to work. How do you get the picture to show through and what type of shapes are you using? All I could find were presets and those didn't work, then I tried a picture of a leaf and set the opacity where the picture behind it should have shown through but came up with nothing but my original picture with some not so pretty pictures stuck on top.
--
Respect and Protect the Rights of Animals
People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life.

tiggerstales
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.
kudos:3

3 recommendations

reply to MLOK5
Click for full size
Not sure how this turned out, but it was fun.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

3 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

3 recommendations

reply to MLOK5

eyes of the world
Here's a simlar but slightly different technique.
It's done with an image used as a displacement map, displacing part of the image in the shape of the mapping image's texture. PSP does not do displacement maps & if Photoshop does it, it's not called the same thing. - I did this in PhotoPaint a while ago. It's difficult to see on this small size image - unfortunately I no longer seem to have the original. The displacement map was some text saying "eyes of the world"

edit: It might look a bit odd in this context as I made it as a seamless vertical tile.
--
SRS | Earthlink | Win2K SP4 | G11 | 1370 | ver. 4.0.3.9 | NO SP-B | Gateway .55

[text was edited by author 2003-09-25 23:42:25]

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM
reply to Macy
said by Macy:
How do you get the picture to show through and what type of shapes are you using? All I could find were presets and those didn't work, then I tried a picture of a leaf and set the opacity where the picture behind it should have shown through but came up with nothing but my original picture with some not so pretty pictures stuck on top.

Here is a link link to a zipped version of the strat.psd file - maybe by studying the different layers you can see what I did. Basically, I used the shape of a note (I used google to find a picture of a note) as a selection to make copies of different sections of the base strat picture, then played with the blending properties of the layers to get a raised look. Note that I did not use all of the layers in the final product.
--

Macy
South Of Insanity
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-7
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag
Thanks, rockotman! I will check it out and keep trying.
~Macy

Edit This
Premium
join:2001-05-08
kudos:6

2 recommendations

reply to MLOK5
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G2
21mm 1/640th F6.3

Happy Valentines day!!!!!

ChrisJT
Premium
Torrance, CA
reply to rockotman
I'm gonna check it out also, since my image seems to be strange looking.

Thanks rocketman.
--

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
Allen, TX
reply to MLOK5

This thread is now closed to new photo submissions, but is still open for critiques and suggestions about the photos posted in it.

The new Technique! thread has started: Technique! Week 11