Premium
join:2001-02-20
Ladysmith, BC

3 recommendations

Climbers made me do it! - Framing Tutorial

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
15.6mm 1/500th F2.8 ISO100

Climbers wanted me to share the steps I had used when framing another picture, but I thought that I would show this one instead. I took this picture today, and it really wasn't that good. For starters, the horizon is way off kilter, and there is nothing to draw the eye to the seagull.

So, without further ado, here is how I made a bad photo better (using PS7):

Level that Horizon!

First thing first, we need to make that horizon level. This is the very first thing I notice in almost every single picture, and I bet I'm not alone.

go to Image - Rotate Canvas - Arbitrary...

It will ask you how many degrees to rotate clockwise or counter clockwise. In this case, I had to go 2 degrees CW. This will be trial and error to find the best number.

Once this is done, your edges will be askew but your horizon will be flat. Now you can crop the image any way you see fit.

Matte 1:

The first Matte is just a small white border. This will keep the colours from blending with your image and will keep the shadow (which will come later) off of your image.

Make sure White is selected as the background colour on the left then go to Image - Canvas Size...

The Canvas Size window will open up. Make sure Relative is checked, and then enter a small number into the width and height boxes. I chose 1 cm for each. You will want to keep the aspect ration the same so make sure the numbers match. Now click OK.

Matte 2:

Choose a colour from your picture and make it the background colour on the left. I chose a grey off of the gull's wing. Go to Image - Canvas Size... again, and put in much bigger numbers this time. I chose 10 cm each way.

If your cropped picture is too square, you can increase the width or height of this matte to give the picture a more traditional shape.

Frame:

Now choose another colour and make it the background colour on the left. I like to choose a highly contrasting colour for the frame, generally it will be black.

Repeat the above steps for increasing canvas size use a small number again. I used 2 cm each direction.

Create the layers:

Click on the Magic Wand tool and then select the white area (Matte 1.) You should have the crawling 'ants' in a double line around only the white border. Press CTRL J. This will create a new layer called Layer 1.

Click on the Background layer on the right, and then use the magic wand to select Matte 2. Again you will see the 'ants' around just the coloured border. If you forget to select the Background layer first, the whole picture will be selected. Once you have just the coloured area selected, Press CTRL J again and you will get Layer 2.

Do the same for the frame and you will get Layer 3.

Order the Layers:

To get the shadows to display correctly, we need to reverse the order of the layers. Click on Layer 3 on the right and move it just slightly above Layer 1 and let go. Layer 3 will now be on top of Layer 1. Now put Layer 2 above Layer 1 but below 3.

You should now see Layer 3, Layer 2, Layer 1, and Background.

Make the Frame look real:

Select Layer 3 and click the Add a layer style (the little f) button. In the menu that appears, choose Bevel and Emboss...

There are many settings in here you can play with, generally the only thing I change is to turn off global light. Next go to drop shadow. Again I normally just turn off global light. **If you do turn off global light, make sure you turn it off in every selection you enable or your shadows will be messed up.**

Play with Matte 2:

Select Layer 2 and click the Add a layer style button. In the menu that appears, choose Drop Shadow.

First, I turned off global light. Then I play with both the Distance and Size. I increase both of them from 5 pixels to 8. A little really does go a long way here.

I then go down to Patter Overlay. For this picture I chose the Woven pattern. The wood pattern is also very nice.

The patterns can be very overpowering, so I like to drop the Opacity down, in this case I went to 25%.

Finally, to add a nice pop, I turned on Stroke and set the colour to black. This adds the 3-pixel black outline to the Matte.

Voila, we have turned the above picture into a work of art!

Enjoy
--
Check out my gallery here: »/pics/dimaging/320639 Remember, vote early and vote often!

[text was edited by author 2003-09-21 22:55:21]

[text was edited by author 2003-09-21 23:05:50]

jlupien
Premium
Ladysmith, BC

2 recommendations

Re: Climbers made me do it!

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
15.6mm 1/500th F2.8 ISO100

Here is the completed project.

WiRed1000
Premium
join:2003-09-03
Nanaimo, BC

1 recommendation

reply to jlupien

Re: Climbers made me do it! - Framing Tutorial

That Looks great... Thanks for the info

Macy
South Of Insanity
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-7
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag
kudos:2
reply to jlupien
That looks really good, really makes the picture stand out.

Climbers sure has been busy lately hasn't he?

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

reply to jlupien

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C5050Z
10.5mm 1/650th F4.5 ISO64

Here's my try, although, I made some adjustments.

Thanks, jlupien See Profile for taking the time to put this up for us. And, of course, to climbers See Profile for the arm twisting.

[text was edited by author 2003-09-22 00:29:41]

jlupien
Premium
Ladysmith, BC
Hey the picture changed

That looks great SandShark!

WiRed1000
Premium
join:2003-09-03
Nanaimo, BC
reply to jlupien

K will try my hand at it in a few

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3
reply to jlupien

Yeah, it changed because when I originally posted it, it didn't look the same after I saved it from Photoshop. Something is out of kilter in Photoshop because when I save an image that I've altered, it's a lot different. I think it's got something to do with the color settings and management, but that's another thread.

Thanks again!

mikeky
Premium
join:2001-12-07
Kentucky
reply to jlupien

Very nice. This one just sort of screams for some PS guru to make an action out of it and post it. Hint! Hint!
--
He never chooses an opinion - he just wears whatever happens to be in style. - Leo Tolstoy