MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX

MLOK5

MVM

Technique! Week 11

Welcome to Technique! Week 11. Week 10 is officially closed for new photos. Special thanks this week to rockotman See Profile for sharing his variation on our "All Cut Up" technique. A lot of fun for sure!

The goal of this thread is for one of the members of the forum to share a photographic technique with the rest of the forum. Then we can all practice this technique & upload our results. The technique doesn't have to be limited to digital editing. It can be related to other things as well, like exposure, depth-of-field, etc. A good example of a technique thread can be found here.

Who would like to share a technique with the forum?

[text was edited by author 2003-09-28 10:05:01]

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag

2 recommendations

Macy

MVM,

Click for full size
Kittens Twirled
Click for full size
Twirled!
I thought I'd share a technique I learned last week. It may not be very practical but it is a whole lot of fun to do.
I used Paint Shop Pro 8 but feel pretty sure this will work in most programs.

Start out with a picture of your choice, one without a lot of tiny details would be good to start out with. Open it in your photo program and make sure you duplicate it. Layer>Duplicate.

Now to twirl the photo...You will need to find your "Twirl" filter. It should be in Effects>Geometric Effects>Twirl or Effects>Distortion Effects>Twirl. In the Twirl dialog box, set "Degrees" to 200 then click OK. You want the subject to become unrecognizable in the twirl while keeping the colors of the photo. You will do this by repeating the Twirl step 3 more times, making sure to keep the Degree setting at 200.

Now you need to decrease the opacity of the twirled layer so the original image becomes just visible which will help edit the image. In the Layer Palette move the Opacity Slider for the duplicate layer to 50%.

In the Tool palette select the Eraser tool. In Tool Options set the following settings:
Hardness- 25 (you want the edges of the eraser to be soft)
Shape- Round Size- 15 Opacity- 100
Step- 25 Density- 100

*You may have to adjust the size of the eraser to begin with, you will need it small enough to go around just the edges of your subject without bringing in the area around the subject. Once you have the subject outlined you may switch to a larger size eraser, whatever size you feel comfortable with. Now all you have to do is erase parts of the twirl layer to allow the underlying background layer to show through.

When completed with the erasing step, go back to your layer palette and move the Opacity Slider back to 100%. Your subject should appear closer and will be the focal point of the photo.
That's it! Now go twirl all your friends and family members. I have had a blast with this.

[text was edited by author 2003-09-28 13:34:08]

ChrisJT
Premium Member
join:2001-12-20
Torrance, CA

ChrisJT

Premium Member

Isn't this technique the same as from »Technique! Week 5 ?

BTW, this is one of my favorites!

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag

Macy

MVM,

said by ChrisJT:
Isn't this technique the same as from »Technique! Week 5 ?

BTW, this is one of my favorites!

I can't believe I missed that week!
I think it is very similar... Sorry folks!

I think the outcome of the photos are very similar, but the technique is done differently.
[text was edited by author 2003-09-28 20:25:56]

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

5 recommendations

MLOK5

MVM

I've got a technique for everyone to play with, and it has to do with elements of design when it comes to composing your pictures.

Taken from the book "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson:

Lines are all around us, bringing direction to our lives. Lines evoke varied emotional responses. Lines can symbolize wisdom and experience. A jagged line can symbolize fear, or it can symbolize powerful energy. Curved lines represent nature, wind, water, the human body.

The direction a line takes determines its symbolism. Horizontal lines imply tranquility and are thus considered the most stable. Feelings of pride and dignity are reserved for vertical lines. Diagonal lines aren't calmly horizontal or proudly vertical, but evoke feelings of movement or speed.

Lines also have visual weight, and thick lines symbolize greater strength than thin lines. Being conscious of the hidden messages delivered by lines will allow you to manipulate a photograph's emotional impact on the viewer.

You can control how a person views your picture by using lines. You are essentially leading the viewer through your picture.

In this first picture you can see that the lines from the bridge draw your eye from left to right across the bridge, also implying movement. The sturdy upright beams of the bridge imply strength.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/438581~f3ccdd27d2000e3f9255a7e3e2c48800/1.jpg

In the second image, you can see how the path leads your eyes right up to the castle. The dipping curve in the path helps echo the nature feel to the picture. The tree lines on either side of the picture also help keep your eyes in the middle of the picture, acting like blinders to the viewer.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/438582~156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b/2.jpg

In this last picture, the jagged tree trunk and branches evoke strength and power as they reach up towards the sky. Also notice that the various paths the branches take give the eye many ways to visually walk through the photograph.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/438583~799bad5a3b514f096e69bbc4a7896cd9/3.jpg

Try taking some pictures using lines and posting them here this week. Lines are really all around us. Parking garages, the streets we travel, the places we live. Let's see how creative you can be.

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

2 recommendations

Edit This

Premium Member

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G2
18mm 1/250th F5

Mine.

ChrisJT
Premium Member
Torrance, CA

ChrisJT

Premium Member

Wouldn't this be some sort of chaos since the lines go in every direction, leading to nowhere/everywhere in particular?

Interesting concept.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

3 recommendations

SandShark5 to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
OLYMPUS C5050Z
12.8mm 1/320th F4 ISO64

Here's my try. I could have done a little better, but it's kind of hard when you're maneuvering a boat and a camera at the same time. The bridge isn't exactly photogenic, but what the heck...

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

3 recommendations

Gemologist to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
SONY CYBERSHOT
24mm 1/125th F4 ISO100

A pic I got of our floods ...
zpon
join:2001-10-09
Waterford, MI

2 recommendations

zpon to MLOK5

to MLOK5
Click for full size
A photo I took a few years ago while on honeymoon in Australia.

mikeky
Premium Member
join:2001-12-07
Kentucky

5 recommendations

mikeky to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5

NIKON E5700
29mm 1/194th F4.2 ISO100

I really like photos that have directional components like that which lead the eye, just never seem to catch any or remember to look for it. But here's one that I did get that I kind of like.

tiggerstales

join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.

5 recommendations

tiggerstales to MLOK5

to MLOK5
Click for full size
I love these old steps.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

3 recommendations

Kalford to MLOK5

MVM

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Lines Captured within a Spirit Catcher

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

That's something I don't see everyday! Nice capture.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

2 recommendations

Kalford

MVM

said by SandShark5:
That's something I don't see everyday! Nice capture.
Thanks, It's not really something that I see everyday either. . .er . . . .well in fact it wasn't anything I ever saw at all until last night. . . .

The camera might not lie but photoshop certainly can

Fritty hope you don't mind the "fake" in the thread. I really felt a sunset could give more definition to the Spirit catcher than it was getting in the original

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

3 recommendations

rockotman to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Can't take credit for this one, but I thought it was extremely interesting, and fits in with this thread.

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

MLOK5 to Kalford

MVM

to Kalford
said by Kalford:
Fritty hope you don't mind the "fake" in the thread. I really felt a sunset could give more definition to the Spirit catcher than it was getting in the original
Not at all It sure makes for a beautiful picture & really made that Spirit catcher just pop in the frame.

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
I got dizzy scrolling down that one!

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
LMAO - That was so much fun that I had to force myself to stop doing it. Weeeeeeeee...

ChrisJT
Premium Member
Torrance, CA

ChrisJT to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
I'm dizzy now...

rtcpenguin
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA

rtcpenguin to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Thats awesome... Reminds me of a 3d game or something.

urquell
Premium Member
Vacaville, CA

2 recommendations

urquell to Rygel

Premium Member

to Rygel

View From Below
said by Rygel:
I got dizzy scrolling down that one!
Thats nuthin'! I fell off.....;)

ChrisJT
Premium Member
Torrance, CA

ChrisJT

Premium Member

Nice pictures, everyone!

Bowserman
join:2003-04-15
Australia

Bowserman to MLOK5

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Here's a good example of the use of lines I found....I take no credit for this photo, as it is off the free images site that I posted as an earlier topic .

Touched it up a little, and gave it a frame.

Regards,
Jade.

MnR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI

3 recommendations

MnR to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Traveler DC-4300
7.3mm 1/500th F8 ISO200

Hi All,

My shot at lines. Just some Trees, Railroad Tracks and some Power Lines.

bluwing

prwood
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Salem, MA

4 recommendations

prwood to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5

NIKON E775
5.8mm 1/127th F7.9 ISO100

Bridge Lines
My favorite photo I've taken based on Lines... the Zakim bridge in Boston.

jr1234
If Love Were Easy There'D Be No Music
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Old Hickory, TN

3 recommendations

jr1234 to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
OLYMPUS C4100Z,C4000Z
6.8mm 1/15th F2.8 ISO200

Palace
Tiles, paintings, etc. no flash and sigh... no tripod

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

MLOK5

MVM

This thread is now closed to new photo submissions, but is still open for critiques and suggestions about the photos posted in it.

The new Technique! thread has started: Technique! Week 12