Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Shelton, CT
Netgear C7100V

chuckn

Premium Member

NAV live update error

Sreen Shot
I am showing a corrupted file so I am choosing to not update anything for now.

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10
La Vergne, TN

raydog1

Premium Member

Same here. I've been all over the web trying to troubleshoot this thing with no success. It causes an error in the logs everytime I try use it. After restarting XP, it no longer shows any available updates. But if I look very closely, as it posts "Processing Update List" when running Liveupdate, it will say "Update List Corrupted" at the very end and then go to the screen saying that everything's up-to-date. Very strange.

I came very close to uninstalling, but maybe this is a Symantec problem. I've run some remote scans that say I'm clean and I've seen no other "weird" behavior.

chuckn
Pop Pop
Premium Member
Shelton, CT

chuckn

Premium Member

My system also seems fine, except for this. Hopefully we'll hear something from Symantec.

I'm on XP Pro.

Chuck

[text was edited by author 2003-10-09 01:29:29]

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

raydog1 to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
None of this is happening on my Win2000 Pro machine. Hmmm. . . gotta go to bed now. I'll check this in the morning. Good night. . . don't let the viruses bite!

DevilFrank
join:2003-07-13

DevilFrank

Click for full size
I did start LU at the moment and it works fine for me. But I have a W2k-system...

DonnaB
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
malaysia

DonnaB

Premium Member

A Common client was installed yesterday (857.7KB) and today (247.6KB) - No problem.

zmaugy
join:2003-05-24
Slovenia

zmaugy to chuckn

to chuckn
The same has happened in my NAV2003 in Win98, 5 minutes before that in my WinXP machine (and of course different NAV2003 license) everything went OK.
Strange...

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

bcool to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
This is curious. Yesterday I got the Symantec Common Client Update which appeared to download and install normally. But after rebooting (as instructed), I immediately noticed that NAV2003 did not load with the rest of the systray applications in XP. So I quickly attempted to log out, but received the Windows dialog indicating that CCAPP was not responding and would be shut down momentarily. I rebooted a couple more times and it appeared that everything was back to normal with NAV2003 loading into the systray in a timely manner.
But this morning after turning on my box, I noticed that NAV2003 once again was delayed for what seemed an eternity before it loaded into the systray and thus allowing the Desktop to finish loading. Once everything is loaded, all seems normal. I can trace the anomaly directly to the Symantec Common Client Updates via LiveUpdate which I got yesterday! Please Higher Power of the Universe, please don't make me have to uninstall/reinstall NAV2003 in order to fix this problem, please...:(
WINXP SP1 Home
NAV2003
solobad69
join:2001-07-29
sweden

solobad69

I totally agree!

Same disaster here :-(

Have any great ideas? I have none...

/ Solobad69

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to chuckn

MVM

to chuckn

Re: NAV live update error

Have you tried the IU update?
»ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/ ··· -i32.exe
solobad69
join:2001-07-29
sweden

solobad69

No change ...

Does not do the trick - at least not for me...

/ Solobad69

bcool
Premium Member

bcool to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b

Re: NAV live update error

said by jack b:
Have you tried the IU update?
»ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/ ··· -i32.exe

The IU updates typically do not include software updates.
Fortunately for me I imaged my drive just before performing the LiveUpdate yesterday. After my earlier post this morning, I was able to completely restore NAV2003 to its previous working order. I will now update only the virus defs and the SymEvent driver. I'm staying away from the CCAPP update until I hear all has returned to normal! (Thank goodness for Norton Ghost):)

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

raydog1 to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
Good morning

Looks like Common Client Updates screwed some of us. I'll try uninstall/reinstall (without all of the cleaning) and see if that fixes it. I really don't want to go through all of the cleaning involved to fully uninstall if I don't have to.

chuckn
Pop Pop
Premium Member
Shelton, CT
Netgear C7100V

chuckn

Premium Member

Does it seem as though this is only an XP problem then?

I am on a clean machine and do not want to screw it up so I am not updating anything from them yet.

Has anyone dealt with them on the phone or via some sort of support? I will call them when I get a chance but do not want to waste my time.

We should not have to pick and choose which updates we put up.

It is stating that one of the files is corrupted:(

sportsfan54
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Laurel, MS

sportsfan54

Premium Member

I'm running NAV 2003 on Windows ME and mine is screwed up too. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice and I'm still getting the same error. It might work for you by uninstalling so it's really up to you if you want to try it.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
»NIS03 updated, but now problem

»NIS 2003Alert-Outgoing or Ingoing

»Update to Symantec Common Client

»A different NAV 2003 LU problem

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

raydog1 to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
I can confirm that it's a problem with the latest update. I uninstall/reinstalled with no problems. Performed the first Live Update with no problems. After reboot, I ran LU again and saw the new Common Client Updates listed. I let it install that and rebooted. Now, it's doing exactly what it did in my first post.

bcool
Premium Member

bcool to Sparrow

Premium Member

to Sparrow
Thanks Crystal I guess you can add this one over at Software:
»NAV 2003 Pro & XP Home System Hang

chuckn
Pop Pop
Premium Member
Shelton, CT
Netgear C7100V

chuckn

Premium Member

I'm getting this error in event viewer every time I try. This is in association with the original error at the beginning of this thread.

6002: LiveUpdate failed because the LiveUpdate package could not be uncompressed.

Make sure your disk is not full and run LiveUpdate again.

My disk has plenty of room.

DonnaB
Premium Member
malaysia

DonnaB to bcool

Premium Member

to bcool
Hi,

Symantec is aware of the Common Client problem as per the article below if a user is using NAV 2003 with the following versions:

NAV 9.9.06B
NAV 9.9.06D

Their advise is do not install the Common Client update. NAV will continue to fully protect your computer without the update. The update does not effect the functionality of the NAV email, IM, or manual scanner or the Auto-Protect feature of the program.

The article

parputt
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
New Iberia, LA

parputt

Premium Member

Good article, but it is dated "Last Modified:09/25/2003". Hopefully they will give us something new for this "NEW" problem. I did install the CC update yesterday with no problems (winXP, NSW2003), but think I will stay away from the CC update today. Don't have time to be a guinea pig this morning:)

outkast7621
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
Davenport, IA

outkast7621 to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
I'm seeing this problem at my job now. Saw 2 computers with this problem this morning.

chuckn
Pop Pop
Premium Member
Shelton, CT
Netgear C7100V

chuckn to DonnaB

Premium Member

to DonnaB
I read that article. I am not sure that it is the same thing.

See my original post.

I did not continue, so maybe I would eventually get to the message in the article.

I contacted Symantec via online support a few minutes ago. Let's see if they call out the same thing.

Chuck

bcool
Premium Member

bcool to DonnaB

Premium Member

to DonnaB
I have standalone NAV2003 9.05.15 on WINXP H.E. The error message in LU relates to a corrupt product list.

I am numb at the prospects of having to uninstall, clean and reinstall NAV2003 in order to get the ccApp update. The other udpates including the 10/08/03 virus defs came through without a hitch.

Does anyone know specifically which file is the catalog file. I have several backups of NAV2003, is it possible that I could replace the catalog to see if that clears things up. Otherwise, I'm just going to avoid the ccApp update for the moment.

outkast7621
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
Davenport, IA

outkast7621

Premium Member

I have a couple hundred machines at work that are set to autoupdate NAV 2k3 and the thought of having to uninstall and reinstall all those makes me nauseous.

sportsfan54
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Laurel, MS

sportsfan54 to bcool

Premium Member

to bcool
I have the same NAV 2003 version as you running ME with the same error message. So there must not be any specific version of NAV or Windows that is more susceptible to this problem.

DonnaB
Premium Member
malaysia

DonnaB to outkast7621

Premium Member

to outkast7621
It seems to me that it is their (Symantec) Common Client file is corrupted (in the server) because it's strange that not only a couple of users are experiencing almost the same issue with Common Client update. It's strange to see 'many' NAV users has 'damaged' or 'corrupted' product catalog at the same day. This could be their issue, not users. I maybe wrong.

DDW997
@charter.com

DDW997

Anon

Same thing here people on a 98 and Windows XP Home rig. The Symantec client update list is corrupted. I have the exact same errors as posted by the topic starter.

Tried the fix at Symantec to delete the LiveUpdate downloads files and the livetri.zip files, and it did not work.

I am stuck until Norton fixes this problem.

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

raydog1 to chuckn

Premium Member

to chuckn
said by chuckn:
I read that article. I am not sure that it is the same thing.

See my original post.

I did not continue, so maybe I would eventually get to the message in the article.

I contacted Symantec via online support a few minutes ago. Let's see if they call out the same thing.

Chuck
I just did the same. Not that I expect any "resolution email" but just wanted to alert them to the problem. But that might not have been needed if big corporations are getting hit with this. I'm sure Symantec is getting an earful as we speak

BTW, if you want to bring it back to normal, you may not have to do a thorough cleaning. Just uninstalling/reinstalling did the trick for me. Just run LU once and reboot. The second time you run LU, you should then see the offending update. Just DON'T update anything other than virus defs at this point and wait for Symantec to fix this.

DDW997
@charter.com

DDW997

Anon

Luckily, I had Ghosted right before the latest update. Restored the Ghost image to just before the latest update. The restore went perfectly, and just as soon as Windows completed booting, Norton automatically updated with the virus definitions. The common client is still corrupt.

Hopefully, Norton is going to fix this problem soon.