Search similar:

uniqs

Varek
@aol.com

Varek

Anon

CONNECT WITH NO AOL SOFTWARE IN THE UK

hi,
after reading all this ppoe Cack that doesn't work in the UK, i decided to share my discovery, this might not work for every one but it does for me and involves no downloadable programs . Ok, i have a BT Voyager DSL modem, using AOL 8.0 (i seem to be the only one not having problems with this version). Ok to connect the way i did go to Control pannel and then Network Connections, i had three connections, under dial up, they were, BT VOYAGER ADSL MODEM, AOL WITH DSL and AOL DIAL ON DEMAND, aol dial on demand will probably br the default one, ok open up AOL WITH DSL's propities, get the phone number, in my case it was 555-1234 copy the phone number, close that
go to the modem one, right click, then propities, delete the phone number that is in there, in my case it was 0,38 type in the number you got from the AOL with DSL then click ok, there all done basicly. Double click the modem one now, or right click then connect, thype in your username with the @aol.com and your password then connect, 2 computers should comeup on the task bar, with the connection speed, i got my fastest ever! the speed my modem is actually spose to go not 300kbps 512kbps!!!! There shouldn't be any charges for this since its connecting through your DSL modem. Thanks
Varek

Varek

Anon

it works if you take out the phone number as well and just use your screenname and password as i think the modem allrady gets a link to AOL before you start the software and it justs needs you to log in,

Meteor Dive
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

And this is a PPPoA connection since your connecting directly from the software based on the modem (BT Voyager (USB)) and due to your location.

I see this works for you.

So in short: Delete the number on the modem's properties then connect just using the modem with one of your screen name accounts (screenname@aol.com) and password.

I hope this works for everyone.

All UK and England users, please come and confirm for everyone!
jut123
join:2003-08-15
england

jut123

works but slow!

ok guys it works BUT, getting a slow connection i.e. 100kbs instead of 512:(

aoluklad
@newham.gov.uk

aoluklad to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: connect with aol broadband/ without the client

Excellent, Thankyou very much, Im using AOL Beta 9.0 and no problems once i read your instructions, except the connection i used was titled AOL with Broadband.

Oh lastly i just upgrading to AOL 1mb. hope this wont affect too much, i'd like to network it wirelessly (using win2k) & XP

Jon

JonathanL
@aol.com

JonathanL

Anon

Works perfectly for me with 1Mbps AOL BB in the UK and a BT Voyager 100

LoNeX
@shu.ac.uk

LoNeX to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: aol with router in uk

Any of you guys know how to set up a Linksys befdsr41w router/modem to qwork with aol in the uk?

aolnymous
@aol.com

aolnymous to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: connect without AOL software in the UK

This looks XP specific. Any hope for Windows 98 users who have none of these elements which you speak of?

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
join:2001-10-23
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12 to jut123

to jut123

Re: works but slow!

check the mtu settings for your modem.

oooch
@aol.com

oooch to Varek

Anon

to Varek

d

Ok can someone help i can't find any of that stuff you said can someone email me?

ooochfmazz@aol.com

FMPhill
@aol.com

FMPhill to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: AOL UK PPPoA

Works with UK alcatel 1.6 software too if anyones wondering.

idclub
@aol.com

idclub to Varek

Anon

to Varek

How 2 Use Road Runner Without Using AOL BroadBand?

Hello,

I'm using the free trial for AOL Broadband, which was installed by my local Road Runner service. Love the Road Runner, don't like AOL. Is there anyway I can bypass the AOL portion of the process, and connect directly to Road Runner, ie, just open my IE browser and be online, sans AOL?

Thank you for any help.

oooch
@aol.com

oooch to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Slow Speeds

I have connected with my 1MB connection but instead of getting around 110kb i get 10-20kb any help?

ooochfmazz@aol.com

Saiyanora
@aol.com

Saiyanora to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Easier UK Method

Possible shorter easier method for Voyager Modem:

On any windows just double click the arrows in the taskbar.

Then choose connect.

Click properties.

Delete the phone number (usually 0,38)

screenname@aol.com=user
your aol pasword=password

You are now ready to roll.

Then happily connect and delete all crappy aol uk software. I then suggest to get Tuneup abilites and clean up the mess AOL leaves in your regestry...

Could this please become a sticky topic? It would be very useful for AOL UK members. After all you have the method for the US service.

Zemme
@aol.com

Zemme

Anon

Hi There,

I Am Located In London UK, I Found That It Was The AOL 7 Software That Kept Giving Me The Blue Screen N Constantly Crashing My Internet Browser. At First I Thought It Was The Modem Software But I Was Mistaken.

I Am Using The Saiyanora Method, Without Loading AOL Software. I Have Connected To The Internet At 576.0kbps

And Am Downloading In The Region Of 60KBPS.

So I Can Verify This Method Is Working. Thanks For The Tip Mate. Very Useful

Cheers

Zemme

aolnymous
@aol.com

aolnymous to Saiyanora

Anon

to Saiyanora
'connect' where? There's no such thing!

You say "any windows" but are you sure you're not just talking about XP? Surely you are!

acsell
@aol.com

acsell to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: Connect with no AOL software in the UK

I tried the method described above, but I don't have "connect" listed on the broadband properties? Is there another way I could dial up in the UK without the AOL software?

Thanks, Jon

Saiyanora
@aol.com

Saiyanora to aolnymous

Anon

to aolnymous

Re: Easier UK Method

If you have the Voyager modem you should have 2 arrows on the taskbar (bottom right hand side of screen); they should be green if the modem works.

I was on ME and I had them and now on XP I have them.

acsell
@aol.com

acsell to acsell

Anon

to acsell

Re: Connect with no AOL software in the UK

p.s. I'm using aol 7/8, should I be using the aol 9 beta?

J5388
@aol.com

J5388 to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Connecting without aol

Hi, whenever i try to connect without aol, it gets to verifying user and password and wont accept. I am 100% they are correct i have about 6 different account and have tried them all including Master screename with no success.

Any ideas?
J5388

J5388

Anon

My details if it helps:

XP Pro.

Aol 8 (no problems encountered)

BT Voyager 100

acsell
@aol.com

acsell

Anon

I am having the same problem as J5388.

Also, I haven't got AOL for broaband/adsl listed under dialup in network connections.

Anyone got any ideas why?

Thanks, Acsell

Manwe80
@aol.com

Manwe80

Anon

When I go to my network connections I have two - my LAN and a connection called "Internet(2)". NO OTHER CONNECTIONS.

I'm wondering why everyone has this "AOL for Broadband" connection and I don't - I'm feeling left out here!

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I highly doubt it.

I'm using the Alcatel 1.6 software, AOL 8.0 and 1MB line. Please help

Acsell
@aol.com

Acsell to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: just connecting

This is all I have-

Manwe80
@aol.com

Manwe80

Anon

Click for full size
This is what I see when I go to Start -> Settings -> Network Connections

Wakeupandfly
@aol.com

Wakeupandfly

Anon

the connection everyone is talking about is the one called "the internet 2" i had that as well (win 2kpro, aol v 8, voyager modem)

the easiest way is described above, double click the arrows, click connect (top button), click properties, delete the number, save changes, username = aolscreenname@aol.com, password = aol password!

works perfectly for me, 576 connection

Tom
PeterMB
join:2004-01-08

PeterMB to Varek

to Varek

UK hardware

Hello, I have read this topic (and the US one on the same lines) with interest.

Can anyone suggest a modem (aka router) that has an ethernet port and will work with UK AOL broadband? I have a friend that wants to network two machines together, I want to use a firewall / router behind the modem to achieve this.

On the same subject how does AOL assign IP addresses?? Presumably there is a static gateway IP? I did an IPCONFIG on a connected PC and it looked like it had an IP address on the AOL network!

Thanks
Peter

Peter Mcginn
@217.23.x.x

Peter Mcginn

Anon

Hello, i have just upgraded my PC to windows xp pro, however, AOL will not connect, it gets stuck on stage one 'Broadband Modem Initialisation' then a connection log appears...

im using a BT Voyager Modem, AOL 8.0, WinXp Pro

all my drivers are installed and i still cant connect!

Someone please help me out! :'(

abc1
@aol.com

abc1 to Wakeupandfly

Anon

to Wakeupandfly

Re: DSL Speed

Is 576kbps the max speed for a 512kbps connection, coz Ive tried that method of connecting without AOL browser which is great because it uses up less memory and it still stays 576kbps and plus I live right next to a BT exchange

LinkinRuss
@aol.com

LinkinRuss to Varek

Anon

to Varek

Re: connect to aol witout software

im using the alcatel modem and using aol 8. For me it was simple enough, i cant speak for those using the bt modem but this is how easy it is on alcatel:

1. goto start > all programs > speedtouch usb > speedtouch dial up.

2. Type in ur username and password

3. click on connect and bobs ur uncle..ur on!!!!