spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tr6scott
join:2002-03-23
Oxford, MI

tr6scott

8mm film to DVD conversion.

Looking to have some of my grandparents 8mm film transferred to video. Has anyone done such a thing, or could recommend a service to do this in the Detroit area?
infidex
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Waterford, MI

infidex

Premium Member

Forgive me if I sound too young for asking such a question. Is it actual 8mm film or is it 8mm magnetic tape like in camcorders? (I have converted 8mm magnetic tapes to mpeg-2 DVD playable format)

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to tr6scott

Premium Member

to tr6scott
If you were as old as I am you would ask if it was 8mm or super 8 !

I projected mine on a screen and recorded them to a VCR. If all else fails you may try that. One has to be financially secure to pay someone to do the job.
infidex
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Waterford, MI

infidex to tr6scott

Premium Member

to tr6scott
I agree with rfhar, depending on how much "film" you need to process, you would have to be financially secure. If you do decide to outsource this service I recommend education on the process. I found this website that has some useful information on the subject. Hope this helps.

»film-to-video.com/tutorial.html

tr6scott
Oxford, MI

tr6scott

Yes, it is 8mm film, and regular 8mm at that.

I have been digging, reading, and sending stuff out for quotes... Yes it helps to be financially "secure", but it is a once in a lifetime cost, which will benefit the whole family with digital copies. Right now, there stuck in my basement, and no one is benefitting from them.
SuperG6
join:2003-01-23
Livonia, MI

SuperG6 to tr6scott

to tr6scott
I have successfully transferred 8MM film to video. I work for a high-end production facility that transfers 16MM and 35MM motion picture film to video. I can tell you that the image quality of projected film is absolutely stunning, even in the 8MM format. Transferring to video is always a compromise. Ideally, you would want to archive on HD(high definition) talkin' big$$$. HD has the ability to handle higher contrast ratio and picture detail. On the cheap.. project the image on a clean white surface... videotape the image using auto-white balance and do not enable the shutter... Use a DV camera that has fire-wire capabilities, it will make the conversion to DVD much easier. Add some music... Good Luck!
MaryLiz8
join:2003-11-20
Beverly Hills, CA

MaryLiz8 to tr6scott

to tr6scott
After much searching, I actually sent mine to a company called DVD Infinity in Australia. The results were exceptional and the service was brilliant. See »www.dvdinfinity.com.au

dragpeace
@tnt1.morgantown.wv.d

dragpeace to tr6scott

Anon

to tr6scott
I have about 20 rolls of Standard and Super 8mm that I'd like to transfer to miniDV or DVD. I checked with DVDInfinity, but it would come to over $1600, which is too rich for my budget. Has anyone had experience with any other companies that do this type of thing? Can anyone recommend a company? Thanks!

Graham

tr6scott
Oxford, MI

tr6scott

Well after much reading and trying to find someone locally, I decided to send them to this company. »www.homemoviedepot.com/8 ··· sfer.php

They received the film earlier this week, so I can't tell you how good the transfer is, but I will post when I receive them. (About 3 weeks)

Why I chose them.... Film is transferd from the film direct to ccd lens, This gives the best resolution on DVD of miniDV, you don't want to use anyone that transfers to VHS as part of there process. They offer online editing of the menus, titles, and I am hoping sound too, but I have not confirmed sound. Price, as compared to a few others I checked, (3) they had a good price, and is in the USA.

Hope it helps.
MaryLiz8
join:2003-11-20
Beverly Hills, CA

MaryLiz8

Yes. I looked at Home Movie Depot.

But they only film the image using a miniDV camera. They do not scan each frame across. The results cannot be as good. This is the reason I decided to send overseas.

Beware there are plenty who are able to transfer but not many who do a good job. I warn you as I have already tried another local mob before.