spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Skippy742
join:2001-02-11
Fremont, CA

Skippy742

[wireless] [BEFS411 v2]Beefing up security

I'm trying to limit the amount of users able to connect into my internet by isolating MAC address. I have 4 computers: 3 wired through router, 1 labtop wireless. After isolating through MAC address the 3 wired computer can connect however the wireless lab could not.
Only way for labtop to connect is disabling all router wireless security. Anyone have any ideas?
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Are you sure you have the security setup right on the wireless card in the laptop. It sound like you have enabled security on the router but have not done the same on the card.
Skippy742
join:2001-02-11
Fremont, CA

Skippy742

Shootist, my wireless card needs to be setup?

I am able to connect without the security measures, so how to I configure my wireless card to work WITH the MAC filtering?
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Well I don't use a BEFS411 but on my WRT you can set MAC filtering to allow and not allow MAC addresses. You need to write down the cards MAC address and input that in the router to ALLOW that address to connect. Also It would help to know what OS you are running and if you are using the WLAN utility that comes with the card. If you are using XP then use the XP WZC utility to configure the WEP encryption.
You need to TYPE in a key on the router and the SAME key in the card configuration utility. I have had good luck with my WRT router and my Linksys WPC54G PC card and my Dell TM1300 mini PCI card as far as enabling 64WEP and turning SSID Broadcast off. But before you disable the SSID Broadcast get everything working then try turning off the SSID Broadcast. Also you need to specify the SSID name in the card configuration other wise once you turn the SSID off the card won't know to look for that network.

GM85
Click, Click
join:2002-07-02
Canada

GM85 to Skippy742

to Skippy742
Also, make sure you take a look at the 'Edit MAC Filter Setting' list for wireless cards. The reason is Linksys kind of did this backwords, where you type in the MAC addresses of the cards, and then there is a filter option right beside the MAC. If you enable the 'Station MAC filter' setting, and you want to allow speceic cards to associate, add their MAC addresses into the 'Edit MAC Filter Setting' list, but not check the box under 'Filter'