how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

allenz1

join:2000-08-01
Acton, MA

ZyXel or Netgear?

I currently have a Linksys 4 port router, and unfortunately it has a problem that no one can seem to fix (I am using year old firmware). It seems that while I am connected via VPN to my office and am using Outlook, whenever I try to download an attachment (in excess of 20K) to an email Outlook locks up. This only occurs when using a firmware rev above the factory delivered version (1.30).

Over the past few weeks it now unexpectedly disconnects me; the Linksys still says its connected, but its not. Its a royal pain, and neither anyone on the Linksys forum or tech support can/will help.

I am going to dump it, but I don't want to jump out of the fire into the frying pan, so to speak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just for the record, I connect using Earthlink (Mindspring) at 1250/315 and have three PCs on the router.

Thanks in advance,
Allen

toolkit

join:2001-01-16
Crystal Lake, IL
I have a Netgear RT314 and have been very happy with it. I use it for VPN (Nortel Extranet) and have had absolutely no problems. Before I started using VPN, I forwarded port 500 to my VPN client machine.

If you are asking about Netgear vs ZyXel, it's sort of a toss-up. They're basically the same box (same guts). If you get lucky and get an older boot-base on the Netgear, you can load ZyXel firmware on it. Don't try that with boot base 2.0 and above. ZyXel firmware seems to have more features enabled and comes out sooner than Netgear's version - but if you can load the ZyXel firmware on your Netgear box, it doesn't really matter. The Netgear is usually a little cheaper and the Netgear case is (in my opinion) more attractive.

The above only applies to Netgear's RT31x products. The Firewall product is based on a SoHo router, not the ZyXel.

Rizal7
Best Cheater Wins

join:2001-02-21
Norway
The new versions of the ZyXEL firmware can not be loaded onto Netgear routers anymore.

Rizal

toolkit

Crystal Lake, IL
Really? I've been away from this forum for a while and may have missed something. Are you saying that new ZyXEL firmware (newer than what rev?) cannot be loaded on ANY Netgear router - even the ones with bootbase 1.x?

System
3.25(m00)b2 the latest "beta" firmware for the p310 which contains port ranging, cannot be loaded onto the Netgear routers, (no matter the bootbase ver). Rizal discussed the "possible" reasons for this somewhere in here...

toolkit

Crystal Lake, IL
Well, if that's the case and I were buying a new router today, I would definitely consider getting a ZyXel instead of a Netgear. I already have a Netgear, so I'll make do with what I have.

allenz1

Acton, MA
Why the Zyxel instead of the Netgear? Is the firmware that much better? The price difference between the two boxes is about $65.

kbrabble
Premium
join:2000-11-22
reply to allenz1
Basically the $65 gets you faster firmware updates, and add support for SMTP and NTP tot he router. If you dont need/want those feature, the netgear is the better deal.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA
reply to allenz1
Prices are complicated. Lets look at the '314 and do some price research:

»www.shopper.com P314 $ 166-178, RT314 $ 100-140

At the "company stores", the P314 wins...:
»shop.zyxel.com/ P314 $ 145
»www.buynetgear.com/product.asp?sku=1631623 RT314 $150

Then there are also some "pathological" situations. e.g. at buy.com, the P314 was cheaper than the P310 a while ago.

allenz1

Acton, MA
What is the difference between the P314 and RT314?

PsiReaper
Walk Softly And Carry A Big Mind.

join:1999-08-30
Henderson, NV
Not too much of a difference. Same internals practically.

allenz1

Acton, MA
Then what are you getting for the extra $50 or so?

More importantly, what I really want is a network that needs very little 'intervention.' Which box will do that for me? I am not happy with the Linksys solution.

It sounds like I don't need the Zyxel.....

thanks,
Allen

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
Venice, CA
The hardware differences are relatively small. The P314 has an uplink switch, so one of the ports can be configured as uplink. The RT314 doesn't have this, so you may need a crossover cable for certain topologies.

Zyxel customer support has a few more options, e.g. they even have a dedicated support mailing list where you can sign up. (OTOH, DSLR is probably sufficient )

Zyxel firmware has a few more bells&whistles. Currently the extras are:
(1) time client: You can configure NTP, and the router will contact a time server to adjust the internal time with an atomic clock at regular intervals (=daily).
(2) ip alias: You can configure the router as internet gateway for multiple different subnets. Can be useful for companies with separate departments.
(3) SNMP: The router can reply to SNMP queries. This can be used for e.g. realtime traffic monitoring, etc.
(some of the "other support sites above" will have examples for this, look for snmp).
(4) ...?

allenz1

Acton, MA
Thanks synack,

Frankly, none of those features are really useful for what I am using it for. Its essentially a gateway to share DSL service between the 3 PCs in my home.

As I mentioned earlier, the Linksys isn't cutting it from a couple of perspectives: uptime reliability and outlook via VPN.

It sounds like the Netgear is what I want - Outpost has the RT for $87 after rebate.

thanks

PsiReaper
Walk Softly And Carry A Big Mind.

join:1999-08-30
Henderson, NV
Or you may want to consider a RT311. It's same thing as the RT314 minus the 4 port switch. You can get one for under $90.

allenz1

Acton, MA
Yeah, but I need to switch to support the 3 PCs.....also, I did see that outpost.com had it for $87 and buy.com for $98.

Otto58

join:2001-02-26
Germany
reply to SYNACK
in good old Germany today Zyxel is cheaper than Netgaer.
»www.rssysteme.com/Router/Angebot···bote.htm
I have a Netgaer RT 314 and it is ok, but I like to use an up to date firmware. I would bye the ORIGINAL.
OTTO

allenz1

Acton, MA
I took a look at the features of the two netgear boxes and the zyxel, and I think I am going to go with the zyxel. Rational is: the RT314 doesn't have enough security (IPSec in particular), while the FW314 has too much. The zyxel has more than the RT, but enough to provide piece of mind.

Cost-wise, the RT314 is $87, the zyxel is $163 and the FW is $229.

Thanks for all the help; I'll let you know if it works better than the Linksys.

Allen

toolkit

Crystal Lake, IL
Uhmmm... I'm not trying to make you rethink your decision - the ZyXel is a good product. However, I did want to point out that I am doing IPSec-based VPN through my Netgear RT314, so Netgear does support IPSec.

allenz1

Acton, MA
Oh......that is interesting. I based the decision on looking thru the specs.....IPSec was not listed on the RT324, but on the other two.....Hmmmmm. I was attempting to not be penny-wise but pound-foolish. Is there any other good reason not to buy the RT314?

kbrabble
Premium
reply to allenz1
The netgear RT314 and zyxel prestige 314 are the same thing! The only difference is a few of the features (SNMP, Time Server, IP Alias) are stripped for the Netgear versions of the firmware. Neither is more secure than the other. They both use the same OS and have the same security (NAT/Filtering) features. If I were buying again I would go for the P314, because I use the SNMP and NTP capabilities. At the time I bought mine, I could use the ZyXEL firmware to add this support to the Netgear.

If you are simply comparing the two on a security standpoint, they are identical. Go with witchever one you can find for cheaper.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
Venice, CA

The ONLY significant hardware and software differences are outline higher up:
»ZyXel or Netgear?
As mentioned even earlier, the best price for a P314 is $145 from »shop.zyxel.com.

kbrabble is correct, from a security and IPsec standpoint, the two units are currently identical. (...and way above the other competitors...)
[text was edited by author 2001-05-17 15:42:26]

allenz1

Acton, MA
reply to kbrabble
kbrabble, thanks for clearing that up for me - I guess it takes a while.....in any event from the specs (which may or maybe not reflect reality) the only advantage to the FR314 is the hardware firewall.

Is this worth the $100? I know it depends on personal choice, but we are talking about a home where the PCs are not on all the time.....

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:2
reply to PsiReaper
The RT311 is not the same as the RT314. It has been pointed out that eh Rt314 besides having a 4 port switch also has a faster processor so it is faster than the RT311.

It has been pointed out that the Zyxel P314 and the RT314 are the same hardware wise. What it comes down to is; the Zyxel version can run all Zyxel firmware. The Netger version can only certain Zyxel firmware and only if you have bootbase 1.x. Is the fact that you can run Zyxel firmware on a Zyxel worth the extra money to you? it is to me and I would have paid the extra money at the time had I known.

I have an RT314 and I am very happy with it because I don't happen to use the features the Zyxel firmware provides. However, if I like having things and not needing them rather than needing them and not having them. The difference in price is not that extreme.
--
~AL~

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
Venice, CA
reply to allenz1
Be very aware that the FR314 has completely different heritage and has IMHO major shortcomings (no filtering based on source IP, etc.). You should study the following thread:

»I bought a FR314 and an RT314

enjoy!

System
reply to allenz1
It has been implied over and over on these boards that a Netgear Rt314 is an ugly stepchild to the P314. I think one of the reasons that so many were content with their RT314's was that up until recently, they could load Zyxel firmware and thus get some of the features Netgear left out. This is no longer the case.

IMHO, learning the hard way, i think the single most important feature now supported by the Zyxel is Port Range Forwarding. If you have three computers using the internet, guarantee you will have occasion to lust after this feature. Yes, i know, we're supposed to get that for our RT314's but i dont see it.

I guess what i'm saying is that on the whole, Zyxel appears to have quite an edge in support and features. The firmware releases are always ahead of Netgear. I would gladly pay extra for this. And as SYNACK noted, i might not have to if i shopped around.

allenz1

Acton, MA
Ok, thanks for all the input, but if you were buying which router would you purchase? I am told the only feature I need for VPN connectivity is IPSec.

Again, the difference in price between the boxes is $50. Assuming that I will not be using most of the advanced features of the Zyxel is it worth the extra $$?

thanks

kbrabble
Premium

reply to allenz1
Thats up to you, if you have no use for the additional features I would save myself $50. On the other hand, I use the features and would be more than happy to shell out the extra $50. Theres also the possibility of additional features in the future (whith new products coming out to replace the 311/314 I have my doubts) thay may be of use to you that are not includer in the netgear firmware.

So, if you care nothing about SNMP, TIME SERVER, or IP ALIASING buy the netgear, save $50 bucks.
[text was edited by author 2001-05-21 13:28:01]

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:2
reply to allenz1
If you want my opinion (and who does, hehe) if I had it to do all over again I would get the Zywall. If I couldn't do that I would get the Zyxel. If I could not get that then I would get the Netgear. I have an Rt314 Netgear and I am very happy but I did not know the Zywall existed when I got mine. Also, I did not know that the Netgear was made by Zyxel.

In situations where one product is actually made by someone else, I like to get the one actually made by the manufacturer. Their tech support tends to know the product better and care more. We witnessed this recently by the firmware Zyxel has put out as opposed to the firmware Netgear has put out.

For my security I would shuck out the bucks for the Zywall. If it were not a possibility then I would definitely shuck out the comparatively few bucks more for the Zyxel P314 for the features, firmware updates and overall support of their product. (you think Zyxel will send me a free Zywall for that endorsement?)
--
~AL~

toolkit

Crystal Lake, IL
reply to allenz1
By the way, while it's true that the ZyXel is generally more expensive than the Netgear, sometimes the reverse is true. You have to watch for a sale on the ZyXel box.

However, at the moment (this week I think) you can walk into a Best Buy and get a Netgear RT314 for $69 ($99-$30 rebate). It's hard to imagine finding a ZyXel box for less than that.