All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dathing

join:2002-01-09
Sykesville, MD

Powerlink: Why can't I ping my router anymore?

Is anyone else having trouble pinging their router with Powerlink? I used to be able to ping the router. I set the proper "Disable WAN access" setting on the Linksys. I even took out the router, and put the PC directly onto the cablemodem modem. No luck. (Software firewall shutdown) A port scan indicates that it responds to the TCP PING, but not a standard ICMP PING. I was hoping to get the DSLREPORTS ping/latency reports to run daily.

Did Adelphia change something here in Maryland? Are they blocking ICMP pings at the router? Is it possible to ping the cablemodem instead? I called tech support and they don't even understand the question.

Thanks in advance!

MRNVGVUP

join:2003-04-12
Sharon, PA
Sometimes I can ping/tracert in Windows and sometimes I can't or it times out.

But, this use to not be an issue... it is of late (last couple weeks).

peace

adambpsu
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Harrisburg, PA
reply to dathing
Are you talking about your router or the equipment that routes Adelphia's system? If you are talking about yours, then it has nothing to do with your net connection. The packets would never hit the WAN side. And yes, ICMP pings of a size equal to 92 bytes are blocked for security reasons. It is not a coincidence wither that Windows pings with a packet size of 92 bytes either. You need to download a ping utility that allows the packet size to be changed in order for this to work.
--
Adam... a college student... aspiring to keep it that way.
Expand your moderator at work

dathing

Sykesville, MD
reply to adambpsu

Re: Powerlink: Why can't I ping my router anymore?

I just re-read my post and realized it wasn't as clear as it should be. I'm not having trouble pinging my router from inside (PC to local Linksys Router). I am having trouble if I try to ping my address from the WAN side. ie. I cannot ping my home Powerlink IP address from the internet. Specifically, I'm trying to use the DSLREPORTS Monitoring service »/ schedule to run. It needs to ping me every 15 minutes or so from the internet to generate uptime reports.

It sounds like the last poster indicated that ICMP pings are killed at cablemodem if originated from the internet? Is there a workaround for this?

Has anyone gotten the DSLREPORT monitoring service to work with the Adelphia Powerlink

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

adambpsu
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Harrisburg, PA
reply to dathing
There is a workaround for this. You need to change the default value in which pings are comprised. When you ping, you send out packets that are 92 bytes in size. You need to change that, as that is the only workaround. Many programs, such as Visual Route, allow the user to specify the size of the ping packet.
--
Adam... a college student... aspiring to keep it that way.

dathing

Sykesville, MD
Does anyone know of a way get change the ping packet size used by DSLREPORTS Monitoring service? My cable provider apparently filters ICMP packets of 92 bytes.

Hickerx2
God Bless The U.S. Military

join:2001-03-04
Franklinville, NY
said by dathing:
Does anyone know of a way get change the ping packet size used by DSLREPORTS Monitoring service? My cable provider apparently filters ICMP packets of 92 bytes.

I doubt you can get DSLR to use another packet size. Your ISP filters 92 byte packets because that's the size packet that the NACHI worm uses.

Cyanide41

join:2002-10-06
mexico
reply to dathing
to change the size, use the -l option for the ping command.
for example: ping 4.2.2.2 -l 50.

Whoa! I just realized I can ping out like normal now. Great! I was wondering when there were going to turn that back on.

dathing

Sykesville, MD
reply to dathing
Update: Adelphia appears to have begun allowing Ping ICMP packets, so all is well again.