spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MorWired
Premium
join:2001-03-03

Buddy list -- new format? or simply temporary?

If this is simply an "in transition" problem, please just lock this thread.

The buddy list no longer shows individual buddies, the last time seen, and links to their posts, and IMs -- all things I find extremely useful. Along with "Favorites" this is the page I use more than any other.

If the new format is to stay, would it be possible to give us an option of views as we have with the "Favorites" page?

Thanks.
--
Get your daily dose of wonder from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Just click on a name at the top, to get to persons page, with links to posts, IM box ready to use, time last seen, etc etc.

The main display is a combined list of new topics by all (b) entries, which is the important thing.

MorWired
Premium

1 edit
said by justin:
Just click on a name at the top, to get to persons page, with links to posts, IM box ready to use, time last seen, etc etc.

The main display is a combined list of new topics by all (b) entries, which is the important thing.
Thanks for your response Justin. Unfortunately, this new view takes away >90% of the functionality of the Buddies page for me. It was good to have access to everything/everyone on one page.

Also, without the old view available to me, there is absolutely NO reason to "watch" anyone, because I'm only watching them to see what new topics they have started, and whether they've been updated.

If only "Buddies" show on this new view, "watch" is useless for my purposes.
--

MorWired
Premium
reply to justin
Just a thought. Since the new "Buddy" view gives the same info for buddies that the "your posts" page shows, could this new view be combined there and the old buddy/watched page be restored?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

reply to MorWired
The functionality is one click away: so the only facility lost is that on the old page, you could scroll down through a list of new topics from all "watched" people, instead of (now) doing this via a click and a back.

I could display a second box with all topics started by anyone you are watching, but lean towards it encouraging stalking -- if the other person has not set you as a buddy as well they may not wish you to monitor their topics with such ease. If you want to watch someones new topics that much, what is the problem with looking at their profile page from time to time?

MorWired
Premium

1 recommendation

said by justin:
The functionality is one click away: so the only facility lost is that on the old page, you could scroll down through a list of new topics from all "watched" people, instead of (now) doing this via a click and a back.
For me, the functionality was having all the information I needed for both "Buddies" and "Watched" people available in one convenient place, at a glance.
said by justin:
I could display a second box with all topics started by anyone you are watching, but lean towards it encouraging stalking -- if the other person has not set you as a buddy as well they may not wish you to monitor their topics with such ease. If you want to watch someones new topics that much, what is the problem with looking at their profile page from time to time?
Since the information is, as you say, easy to obtain, what's the difference? The only reason I "watch" people (until they select me also, and therefore become "buddies") is because I find their posts interesting and am interested in threads they're starting -- if that's stalking and discouraged, then what is "Watched" supposed to be used for?
--

fire100_old
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Michigan
reply to justin
I really liked the old format, but as with all the changes I am going to roll with it.

But I do have a request, one of the nice things about the old format, is the post were grouped by name.

If you keep it this way, is it possible to group the post by name? With maybe a space between the buddies names.
--
TD and TH

Tom Native New Yorker
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Marietta, GA
reply to MorWired
Well, obviously you aren't going to change it back to the way it was a few weeks ago, so can you at least make the list on top appear in alphabetical order?
--
If it offends you it must be true! LOL | "My H2 Hummer Gets +25 MPG" - Peace OuT! LOL

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to MorWired
the main thing i used was the last time they were online.

also, isn't a "watched" list supposed to show you their posts by definition?

Darwin
Not From Around Here
Premium
join:2003-05-29
Carbondale, IL
reply to MorWired
said by MorWired:
For me, the functionality was having all the information I needed for both "Buddies" and "Watched" people available in one convenient place, at a glance.
I agree completely. While most of the changes made to DSLR in the last month can be considered improvements (once I finally got used to them), this one is definitely a step backward in my opinion.

What was so wrong with the old buddy list format?
--
The GWR Guy
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Macy
South Of Insanity
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-7
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag
kudos:2
I agree with Darwin. The old format was like a one stop shop, even though I had a gripe about all the posts showing which made the page much longer...I was just starting to get used to it.
--
Optimized, We're wishing you a speedy recovery and a safe return to us.

login name
Premium
join:2000-08-11

1 recommendation

reply to MorWired
Ugh.....add this to the growing number of features that have been implemented which actually lose functionality.

Sitemarking (but not following) now takes half a dozen steps and now this new "feature" just throws all the posts on a page with no semblance of order.

Can't wait for the next round of "features".
--
Click Me I'm Deviant!|Click Me I'm Live!

woogie
Mrs. Wafen
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-07
Maplewood MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Macy
said by Macy:
I agree with Darwin. The old format was like a one stop shop, even though I had a gripe about all the posts showing which made the page much longer...I was just starting to get used to it.

I too like the old format.
--

FAH for MrChuckles
Team Helix
Team Ecology

Michael
Premium
join:2001-05-06
Canada
said by woogie:

Here's hoping the old format will return!
--
For Optimized

MorWired
Premium
said by Michael:
said by woogie:

Here's hoping the old format will return!

As I mentioned above, especially if other people find the new view useful, an option of views like on the Favorites page would be a good compromise, and much appreciated.
--

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:41
reply to MorWired
I use my buddy list to keep track of friends and when they were on last. It would be nice to have a complete listing of who was on and when they were on. I understand that the dots do the same thing, but it's nicer to view an exact number.
--
ircd.removed.us - #dslr | oWn3d@removed.us

Zero Gravity
Next to Arch Stanton
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Top Floor
reply to MorWired
I can't stand this change. Please put it back to the old format.

elias
Premium,VIP
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL
reply to justin
I understand your reasoning behind the new format for the buddies page.

However, I find that the old style was much more useful. I'm not a post stalker by any means, but there is a group of people that are always starting topics. Having them on my watch page makes it easy to check out their new threads.

This works well in both regular forums and entertainment forums.

-- Elias
--
NetCoalition | DSLi Forum | Crunching the Midnight Oil

Jaime
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to MorWired
I like the newer format, now it shows the last time they were online, which I would use a lot. Thanks.
--
Join the BBR BF 1942 clan

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to MorWired
I dont like it either, i dont think anybody knows what to do with the buddy list.
but i too like the old format better, i could see the posts made by my watched people too.
i say change it back, but only show the updated topics under the buddy's section
--
My blog | For Optimized

MrFixIT
Premium
join:2002-04-12
here
reply to MorWired
I don't like this change either.

login name
Premium
Im not so sure Justin cares though. Thats unfortunate.

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Jaime
The newest version meets my requirements.

login name
Premium
reply to MorWired
Can anyone explain why on our buddy list, there needs to be a yellow envelope before the buddies or watched persons name?

Clicking on the envelope sends us to a page to write an instant message to that person. However, clicking on the persons name does the same thing pretty much.
--

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
said by login name:
pretty much.

« answers his own question.

login name
Premium
Actually, it doesnt justin. Its basically senseless to me.

Regardless of which one I click on, it brings me to a page where I can write an instant message to the person right at the top of it, so what is the difference?
--

Jaime
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Huntington Beach, CA
The only difference I can see is the envelope will also your IM history with your buddy.
--
Join the BBR BF 1942 clan

login name
Premium
Well that certainly makes this new feature worth its weight in gold.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
reply to MorWired
I don't like this change at all. I don't use the feature that much, but I was quite bewildered to find essentially no information on the page. I have mostly watched people, and there were no posts, no last visited, nothing. I'm not a stalker, but I have watches on people who I think make good posts and are entertaining to read. I think it's more important to be able to look at someone's posts than their page.

edit: Ok, half fixed. The last visited times are there now.

--
bobrk.com

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to MorWired
Definitely not a big fan of this change.