uniqs

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

Frame Relay to ATM, Yes it can be done...

I took a vacation day Nov.2 from work and started making calls to sales/billing @ 8AM. Eleven (11), yes 11 calls later I finally got a rep/card reader, that had a clue that I needed to downgrade to dial up, (this maintains your account).. They need to disconnect 768/128 frame relay DSL, and reorder ATM DSL after disconnection. What a pain but thats the only way. As you have read elsewhere it doesn't always go smoothly. Nov. 14 was supposed to be the activation day, but after I called them again on the 15Th, I was told, "sorry, line conditioning"??? The activation date is now Dec.2. Meanwhile the new Westel 2100 modem that they sent promptly still sits blinking away with no sync. Today at ~10AM I noticed the sync LED is solid!!!:) Yea they Finally did it... a whole day ahead of schedule . It's been a longgg month on dial up Even worse is having the better half totally PO'd at me for not being able to blow things up on line. But it has turned out to be worth it. Good ping times (I think) and good speed. Just glad no more dial up, even for a month, it's the __it's

Target Name: yahoo.com
IP: 66.218.71.198
Date/Time: 12/1/03 1:06:59 PM

1 1 ms [192.168.0.1]
2 20 ms lsanca2-ar34-4-62-248-001.lsanca2.dsl-verizon.net [4.62.248.1]
3 19 ms [4.24.46.209]
4 22 ms p3-2.lsanca2-cr1.bbnplanet.net [4.24.118.93]
5 23 ms p3-0.lsanca2-br2.bbnplanet.net [4.25.111.2]
6 42 ms unknown.Level3.net [64.159.4.37]
7 30 ms unknown.Level3.net [209.247.9.114]
8 31 ms ge-9-1.ipcolo3.SanJose1.Level3.net [64.159.2.73]
9 41 ms unknown.Level3.net [64.152.69.30]
10 27 ms yahoo.com [66.218.71.198]

»/speed ··· 70313204
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner

Premium Member

After you cancel and re-order, be sure to unplug your modem. The STUPID pre-qualification tool can't tell the difference between your modem, (or a NID splitter) and a load coil. There was obviously not a load coil on your cable pair because if there was, your service would not have worked previously.
shaneo
join:2003-06-25
Mililani, HI

shaneo to Mactron

to Mactron
I am just curious as to why everyone in this forum had to downgrade to dial-up, then reorder their DSL.

I am not sure if every tech support person knows this, but if they are competent enough, they can rebuild your circuit from frame relay to ATM while you talk to him on the phone. Then, a tech in the CO just has to change your jumper in the CO.

That is how I did my frame to ATM switch, and it only took about 8 business hours.
banner
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

banner to Mactron

Premium Member

to Mactron
You may be able to get tech support to do it, but they are not supposed to. It also takes a considerable amount of time to follow the steps necessary to coordinate the jumper change in the CO, update the records, and order the modem. I think policy is to tell you to cancel and reorder, then let the mechanized ordering and provisioning process do all the work.

rcarovano
join:2000-10-07
San Diego, CA

rcarovano to Mactron

to Mactron
Just curious, but why did you go to all the trouble of switching from Frame Relay to ATM?

Ron

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

said by rcarovano:
Just curious, but why did you go to all the trouble of switching from Frame Relay to ATM?

Ron

768/128 vs 1500/128. does that answer it!?? More than worth it to me. Also with ATM, any future upgrades in speeds Verizon might offer, ATM can can handle it... I hope.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Mactron:
Also with ATM, any future upgrades in speeds Verizon might offer, ATM can can handle it... I hope.
ATM can & will handle it all.

Here's a screenshot of a few ATM OC3 circuits out of one of the Perris, CA. central offices.

Eventually, *everything* will be ATM someday.

Frame Relay is going bye-bye..:+)
banner
Premium Member
Long Beach, CA

banner

Premium Member

According to the posted NavisCore PPORT attributes, the circuit on the screenshot is "down with loss of signal."

Hope someone called fast packet!

rcarovano
join:2000-10-07
San Diego, CA

rcarovano to Mactron

to Mactron
Okay, now I'm really confused. I was on Frame Relay and had 1.5/384, so I wonder why you had to switch just to get a higher download?

Ron
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to Mactron

Premium Member

to Mactron
Ron, you have/had a premium-priced package from the days when frame was the only thing available in your region. Frame is technically capable of 1.5 speeds, but for business policy reasons they aren't particularly interested in putting any more frame customers at the maximum technically attainable speed. Now that anybody within 12K' can have an upgrade from the previous basic 768 to 1.5 just by asking - except for customers on frame, we have a disparity of treatment for those customers on frame. That's why these folks want to get off frame.

dw