Ditto..;)...

Darek
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Chicago, IL

Darek to madirish

Premium Member

to madirish
Thanks for info. It's my favorite registry cleaner.
I thought it has updater...:)

By the way, always the same doubts - I never sure...:)

should I uninstall v. 1.30 first, or I can install new vesion over old one???
anthrorules
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Rollinsville, CO

anthrorules

Premium Member

Since it doesn't install itself into the computer, meaning that it's not listed in the Add/Remove Programs, you can extract the files in the RegSeeker folder.
RWOTB
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04

RWOTB to madirish

Premium Member

to madirish
I was just going to install this from an archived download. Thanks for the notice!

JHB
join:2002-02-08
California

JHB to madirish

to madirish
Can someone tell which items are safe to delete? I see some in "red" and some items in "green". Also do we really need a registry cleaner? My XP machine has been rolling along since 2001.

Sat_Man
Monotonous Isn't It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Gray Court, SC

1 edit

Sat_Man

Premium Member

said by JHB:
Can someone tell which items are safe to delete? I see some in "red" and some items in "green". Also do we really need a registry cleaner? My XP machine has been rolling along since 2001.

I've always let RegSeeker remove all the keys it finds and have never had a problem. Just make sure it's set to backup everything it removes and you can always restore if you have a problem! If you haven't cleaned you registry since 2001, man are you going to have a list of bad entries! Also make sure you have a good Restore point and/or make a image of your system...

Thanks for the heads up on the new version madirish!

>Fred

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

2 edits

Randy Bell

Premium Member

said by Sat_Man:
Thanks for the heads up on the new version madirish!
As another big fan of RegSeeker, I second that!

EDITorial Comment and CAVEAT: Upon installing the new version, I noticed I was prompted to overwrite my exclude.ini file which I declined .. suggest to anyone with an exclusion list from previous version not to overwrite that, otherwise you'll have to rebuild the list. Other than that one small thing, just extract from the zip over your current installation of RegSeeker and enjoy!
Randy Bell

1 edit

Randy Bell to madirish

Premium Member

to madirish

After a Trial Run

Hey, this new version is more thorough! It found tons of invalid ActiveX/DCOM entries {invalid CLSIDs}. And, per my previous editorial comment: it does accept your exclude.ini {exclusion list} from previous version. On two of my computers, I had an exclusion list from the old version 1.05 and it accepted that with no problems. Sorry if I'm over-enthusiastic but this new version looks like a keeper!

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan

Can you give us an example of which .ini's you exclude please, and why?

Thanks.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

Randy Bell

Premium Member

said by Pinan:
Can you give us an example of which .ini's you exclude please, and why?
The reference to a ".ini file" was the "exclude.ini" file which contains exclusions: keys you want RegSeeker to ignore. Mainly, on my boxes, I found that I shouldn't mess with large Office Suites like Microsoft Office or Corel WordPerfect Office. Also, I found that I should exclude registry keys associated with Norton Rescue Disk {a feature associated with Norton AntiVirus on 9X/ME operating systems}.

Basically I have found it "more pain than gain" to allow registry cleaners like RegSeeker to "clean" keys associated with large complex office suites, or with Norton products which are also complex and add tons of registry entries. Hope that helps!

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
anthrorules
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Rollinsville, CO

anthrorules to madirish

Premium Member

to madirish

Re: RegSeeker 1.35

Wow! What an improvement with CPU...when running the older version of RegSeeker, the CPU would be pegged at 99% for most of the registry scan portion, and the scanning seems to be much faster, by twofolds.

Randy - with regards to the exclude.ini issue, good point, I realized that I extracted the older version incorrectly and there was no "Language" folder, basically, all files were extracted into the main RegSeeker folder, so I've had to re-create the exclude.ini file, no biggie, but still a pain...wish I extracted the files correctly the first time.
Modred
join:2003-06-18

Modred

I ran this program, which found and removed many entries. However, when I tried to start Norton Ghost, the MS intaller program started. I resintalled Ghost and then added everthing I could find to the RegSeeker exclusions list. I ran RegSeeker again and once again the Ghost problem. Is there anything I can do?

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

thanks for the heads up.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to Modred

Premium Member

to Modred
said by Modred:
I ran this program, which found and removed many entries. However, when I tried to start Norton Ghost, the MS intaller program started. I resintalled Ghost and then added everthing I could find to the RegSeeker exclusions list. I ran RegSeeker again and once again the Ghost problem. Is there anything I can do?
That comes under the second category I had previously mentioned:
said by Me:
Basically I have found it "more pain than gain" to allow registry cleaners like RegSeeker to "clean" keys associated with large complex office suites, or with Norton products which are also complex and add tons of registry entries.
Use the RegSeeker Backup facility to restore all the keys it deleted; then the next time you run RegSeeker, highlight all the Norton keys, rightclick and "add to exclusion list". HTH
Modred
join:2003-06-18

Modred

Randy,

I tried both those things. When I found that Ghost wouldn't run, I restored all the keys RegSeeker had deleted. Ghost still wouldn't run. So, I restored an old image of the hard drive and started again. This time I added all Norton Ghost keys to the exclusions list and deleted the rest of the keys. Once again, Ghost wouldn't run.

Perhaps I missed a Ghost-related key, although it's difficult to tell which is which. I'll give this another try later today.

Thanks,

Modred

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM
join:2003-01-20

1 edit

Keizer

MVM

said by Modred:
Randy,

I tried both those things. When I found that Ghost wouldn't run, I restored all the keys RegSeeker had deleted. Ghost still wouldn't run. So, I restored an old image of the hard drive and started again. This time I added all Norton Ghost keys to the exclusions list and deleted the rest of the keys. Once again, Ghost wouldn't run.

Perhaps I missed a Ghost-related key, although it's difficult to tell which is which. I'll give this another try later today.

Thanks,

Modred

Please don't take this as a bash, but this is the whole reason I shy away from aggressive reg cleaners. People always say they delete everything and their pc works fine. Does it really work fine, or is there a problem lurking that hasn't come up yet. You never know what its doing to programs that you run. It is not going to affect your system leaving an orphaned entry in your registry. However, taking an orphaned entry out along with a good entry will affect your system. I always thought the backups were a good idea with registry cleaners. That is untill I tried restoring some entrys once, and XP barked back saying that files have been replaced with un-recognized versions. I have a hard time trusting a reg cleaner that hands out false claims. Unless you load and remove alot of software from your system, I don't see how it is going to speed up your pc using a reg cleaner. I never noticed any type of speed increase.

When I load software, I make a ghost backup first, if I don't like the software, I image back. No folders left, no reg entrys left, it works better than using the un-install and reg cleaner afterwards.

I remember once having a conflict problem between my registry cleaner and another software program I had installed. I told the author of the other program that his software was not playing well with my reg cleaner. He loaded the reg cleaner I was using to do some tests with his software. He e-mailed me back, and the first thing he said was "Wow, make sure you don't delete everything that registry cleaner finds".

I really find registry cleaners tempting, as I like things that clean up my system. I guess I have just not had a perfect experience with them.

Keizer

JHB
join:2002-02-08
California

JHB

said by Keizer:
said by Modred:
Randy,

Thanks,

Modred

Please don't take this as a bash, but this is the whole reason I shy away from aggressive reg cleaners. People always say they delete everything and their pc works fine. Does it really work fine, or is there a problem lurking that hasn't come up yet. You never know what its doing to programs that you run. It is not going to affect your system leaving an orphaned entry in your registry. However, taking an orphaned entry out along with a good entry will affect your system. I always thought the backups were a good idea with registry cleaners. That is untill I tried restoring some entrys once, and XP barked back saying that files have been replaced with un-recognized versions. I have a hard time trusting a reg cleaner that hands out false claims. Unless you load and remove alot of software from your system, I don't see how it is going to speed up your pc using a reg cleaner. I never noticed any type of speed increase.

When I load software, I make a ghost backup first, if I don't like the software, I image back. No folders left, no reg entrys left, it works better than using the un-install and reg cleaner afterwards.

Keizer

That's the same same thing I thought (See above post). I have never seen a benefit from cleaning my registry.

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM

Keizer

MVM

said by JHB:
That's the same same thing I thought (See above post). I have never seen a benefit from cleaning my registry.

Exactly!

Keizer

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

2 edits

Randy Bell to madirish

Premium Member

to madirish
Well, I profoundly disagree, I have several registry cleaners: Norton WinDoctor, Systweak Advanced System Optimizer, RegSeeker, jv16 PowerTools, Registry Mechanic, Registry Medic. I have never had any problems with any of them! I especially like the Compact & Optimize feature in Systweak.

EDIT: I mean, sure .. leaving useless stuff lurking in your Registry {which accumulates over time, especially as you add and remove programs} .. is like leaving useless files on your hard drive .. they won't necessarily "hurt" anything, but why keep useless items? Each to his own!

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels to madirish

Premium Member

to madirish
Just to add my 2 cents,

I personally have never had a problem with regseeker,JV16 or the Microsoft Regcleaner (i know MS reg cleaner is now unsupported, but I still use it)

And I dont know what :agressively cleaning" means, I basically just get rid of entries that lead to nowhere and are useless.

I can say one thing though, since i started using these simple Registry cleaners, my machine starts up faster and responds quicker.
I figure it like this, if useless entries aint in there, my machine aint gotta take any time goin through em. It just makes sense to me, but hey, I could be wrong

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007 to Randy Bell

Premium Member

to Randy Bell
said by Randy Bell:
Well, I profoundly disagree, I have several registry cleaners: Norton WinDoctor, Systweak Advanced System Optimizer, RegSeeker, jv16 PowerTools, Registry Mechanic, Registry Medic. I have never had any problems with any of them! I especially like the Compact & Optimize feature in Systweak.

EDIT: I mean, sure .. leaving useless stuff lurking in your Registry {which accumulates over time, especially as you add and remove programs} .. is like leaving useless files on your hard drive .. they won't necessarily "hurt" anything, but why keep useless items? Each to his own!

Same here. I have never run into any problems using a reg cleaner. Every couple of months i usually find 100s of invalid paths, useless file extensions, ect.

Sat_Man
Monotonous Isn't It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Gray Court, SC

Sat_Man

Premium Member

said by storm64007:
said by Randy Bell:

Same here. I have never run into any problems using a reg cleaner. Every couple of months i usually find 100s of invalid paths, useless file extensions, ect.

Keep it lean and clean! No problems either except I've had Norton Ghost do the same thing. Just pop the CD in, click on install and select "Repair"! Three second later it back up and running. I've never worried about it because it's not needed that often!

>Fred

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM

1 edit

Keizer to Randy Bell

MVM

to Randy Bell

Re: After a Trial Run

said by Randy Bell:
Basically I have found it "more pain than gain" to allow registry cleaners like RegSeeker to "clean" keys associated with large complex office suites, or with Norton products which are also complex and add tons of registry entries. Hope that helps!

I sure hope people that are new to registry cleaners know this! I have read in this thread people stating they delete everything and never have a problem. And then in the same thread, I am reading that these registry cleaners can trash complex office suites. The real advice should be BACK UP EVERYTHING!

Keizer

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

I wouldn't say they "trash" complex programs, but they can cause annoyances .. and yes I agree to always backup, and the defaults in these cleaners is to make backups before deletions so those defaults should be kept in place as safeguards too.

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM

Keizer to madirish

MVM

to madirish

Re: RegSeeker 1.35

I admit, I do use Nortons WinDoctor all the time. I have been using it for years, and like many others will say about their reg cleaner, I have never had a problem. But I do find Nortons Win Doc very safe compared to other reg cleaners. Plus I do back up with imaging software all the time.

Keizer

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

Agree that Norton WinDoctor is probably the best, safest, most reliable .. and it too keeps a history that you can undo repairs from if need be. Warmly, Ran

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by Randy Bell:
Agree that Norton WinDoctor is probably the best, safest, most reliable ..
I disagree about WinDoctor. Try this. Do a fresh install of MS Office. Run WinDoctor. It will find over 50 invalid registry entries from the freshly installed MS Office. This is because Office features are in the registry, but not necessarily installed on the hard drive. MS says it's a bug in Norton, Symantec says it's a bug in Office. Neither side wants to budge.

Okay, so now install Office again. Run WinDoctor and carefully add all the "bad" registry entries to the "ignore" list. Now you're all set, right?

Wrong. Do a one-button checkup from Norton and it will run WinDoctor and delete without confirmation all those entries you set WinDoctor to ignore.

Norton is not the worst registry cleaner I've used, but it's probably the 2nd worst. I certainly caused me more problems than it ever fixed.