MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

[MOD] Tt/Enermax/Casetek quick removable HDD cage

Click for full size
Click for full size
The Thermaltake Xaser III is the first case that I have seen with this design. I think it is a good design but I was displeased with the airflow circuit due to the orientation of the non-removable HDD cage.

I got this Casetek case from newegg for $20 (w/o S&H) and thought that I might try a little mod job. The first part was a success and I was able to secure the HDD cage back into place with one thumbscrew through the front of the case.

The second part of the mod will allow the removable HDD cage to be oriented in a more traditional way with one or two thumbscrews securing it through the front of the case. This of course will be in addition to allowing for the default orientation. The thumbscrews will use the existing holes that the rivets left behind.

Anyway it is a work in progress:)
hman1
join:2002-01-17
Canada

hman1

Wow, for 20 bucks I see potential! mod wise and airflow wise once you get rid of all that stamped fan grill madness!

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Yep, I was thinking about that too.

The Casetek case didn’t come with any fans, small wonder for $20 but the front stamped grills seems to be designed to be able to hold a fan via screws.

Cutting out the extra metal from the removable front grills and the fixed rear grills would likely improve airflow as you stated.

Interestingly enough, the fixed HDD cage seemed to almost be designed to be removed. After removing all the rivets that held the cage in place you can see how it is keyed to fit into the case at the bottom. The cage is not a single piece. It slides apart into two pieces via the same keyed slots. This is why it only took one thumbscrew to secure the part(s) into place.

BTW, it looks like newegg no longer carries Casetek cases. After S&H the total was $35. I have sent e-mails to a number of companies inquiring about replacement parts for this case.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

1 edit

FastEddie to Octavean

to Octavean

Re: [MOD] Tt/Enermax/Casetek quick removable HDD c

said by Octavean:
I think it is a good design but I was displeased with the airflow circuit due to the orientation of the non-removable HDD cage.

Good job Octavean See Profile

I just got my Super Lanboy from UPS (didn't realise it was a mini tower ) and it wasn't out of the box five minutes before I grabbed a drill and drilled out the rivets for the Hard Drive Rack.

I've got a spare U shaped Hard Drive rack laying around that holds 3 Hard Drives. I'm going to bolt that to the bottom of the floppy drive cage.

If the case was a Mid tower it would be really nice. But as it is now it's made of thin aluminum feels kind of flimsy but that could be because I took the OEM Hard Drive rack out.

Intake and exhaust fans are is 120mmm

I'll try and get a picture of the case with the Hard Drive rack removed.

hman1
Canada

hman1 to Octavean

to Octavean

Re: [MOD] Tt/Enermax/Casetek quick removable HDD cage

How do you remove rivets?

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

Use a drill with a bit slightly larger than the hole in the rivet head. Just drill into the hole in the head. Fast and easy

ToXiC697
Premium Member
join:2001-10-19
Greenville, NC

ToXiC697 to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean

Re: [MOD] Tt/Enermax/Casetek quick removable HDD cage

Nice Octavean.

I hope my advice helped out a little.
btw, Was the cage steel or aluminum?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Thanks FastEddie, I have seen some of your work before. I should have know you would have been two steps ahead of me:) I would like to see some pix of your mod if you have them.

hman, just like FastEddie said, removing rivets is an EZ task. The hardest part is the cleanup! You can checkout this brief thread where ToXiCTHL gave me some much appreciated info on the subject.

ToXiCTHL, thanks for the praise and the advice on rivet removal. I’m not done yet but basically when you look at the case now, you have to look close to notice anything was done. The all steel HDD cage is securely back in its original place held there smartly with one thumbscrew.

Let me just say that these cases seem to have very good airflow without the mod. The Xaser III, Enermax and some Casetek versions of this case come with a translucent purple, blue or clear side fan holder. The rear fans and blowhole in combination with two side fans seems to be more then enough. I just thought a quick release cage with multiple orientations would be that much better.

BTW, the Casetek case seems to have the same rigid feel to it. Its structural integrity has not been compromised by this mod.

Be that as it may, I knew I should have bought two or more of these cases when I had the chance,…
hman1
Canada

hman1 to Octavean

to Octavean
Thanks for the info on the rivets all.

To reply to your reply, ya I was thinking the same thing. That case has airflow similar to the Chenming/Chieftec's. Even the stamped fan grills are kinda curved and are honey comb like. They arent bad on stock (better than some cases) but best if removed.

Anyways, I'd like to see more of your mods with this case when you are done with it. Looks like a promising case.

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie to Octavean

to Octavean

Before
Click for full size
After
Click for full size
Controller

said by Octavean:
Thanks FastEddie, I have seen some of your work before. I should have know you would have been two steps ahead of me:) I would like to see some pix of your mod if you have them.

I got the case yesterday and took out the hard drive rack last night. I also took out Antec's front fan and installed a 4 blue LED 120mm fan that will match the one I'm going to mount in the back.

I also picked up a Vantec Nexus NXP-301 Fan & Light Controller combines the functionality of fan control and cold cathode light activation into one single unit. It offers 3 separate channels for the fans. And it has a built in inverter for the 2 cold cathode lights that come with it. It was cheap! $20.00

I still have to put sleeving on the wires coming from the front of the case and a few other things before I take the parts out of my other case.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
Super Lanboy!

Yea, I did see that case over at newegg and they look really cool IMO. I think your Super Lanboy looks even better without the lower HDD cage. I’ll bet that airflow is somewhat improved with your mod as well. It will be interesting to see how it looks after you install the U shaped HDD rack.

The Vantec Nexus NXP-301 looks like a great controller as well and the $20 price tag makes it even more so.

Don’t ask me why, but I’m still a little partial to the Thermaltake Hardcano9 and I was thinking about getting another one. It is also about $20 at newegg,

however,…

I have also been considering buying the Enermax UC-A8FATR4 Fan controller . I’m not too crazy about the $45 price tag though. It is very similar in appearance to the Hardcano9 and it might be a little more robust but I don’t know if I can justify the price.

As for reorienting the HDD cage quickly in the Casetek case, it looks do-able. The holes look as though they align well enough to do so but I will need to relocate the case speaker and remove the cable guide/holder on the top cage partition.

As seen in the above pic, the top of the cage is slightly obstructed by the case speaker and the cable guide/holder touches the side panel case lock. Although this prevents the cage from mating properly to the inside of the case, it looks EZ to fix.