how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Saul_Good

join:2001-09-27
West Orange, NJ

[COMCAST] I can't change channels with my remote

Two days ago I was happily channel surfing my digital cable box (Comcast branded Motorola), it's relatively brand new I exchanged it about 3 months ago. And all of a sudden, the digital cable box no longer responded to the remote's commands. The idiot light on the remote lights up, but no corresponding acknowledgment light shines on the cable box. What has happened? Is my box fried? Is it the remote itself? Or do I simply need new batteries? All I have done is unplug the digital cable box in hopes that it will reset itself, no dice. I have also tried removing the batteries from the remote for a while, no dice. So is there a solution?

Splat8
I Say No To Drugs, But They Won't Listen
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Charleston, SC
Did the cable company give you a small instruction booklet with the remote?
The remote is probably designed to handle multiple types of boxes, like a universal remote.
You may have accidentally changed the settings.
Try reprogramming the remote with the code for your cable box in the booklet.

--
This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me.»www.workingforchange.com

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Saul_Good
Make sure you or no one else in your house accidentally hit one of the buttons for the other devices that the remote can handle (VCR, audio, TV). Essentally, try pressing the "cable" button and see if you get a response.
--
Dean For America

UPDATED: Watch Comcast Executives Get Grilled: »home.comcast.net/~mbernste/catv_hearing.html

Saul_Good

West Orange, NJ
reply to Saul_Good

Re: [COMCAST] I can't change channels with my remo

Yes unfortunately the first thing I tried was to reprogram my remote. It didn't work.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to Saul_Good

Re: [COMCAST] I can't change channels with my remote

Hey, Saul...

Greetings to Essex County...

Have you called in to see if a CAE could help with reprogramming? It's possible that it's an issue with your account (yes, the remote accessibility is account-generated). OF course, the RC could be fried, the box may need reprogramming to converter specs, or any number of other things.

Did you get a list of codes to make the remote operate different devices? If so, try to reprogram the 'TV' or 'VCR' button to see if the remote can operate the TV or VCR independently. If it does, that may eliminate the remote as the cause of your problems. If you can't reprogram the tv or vcr buttons, it sounds like a remote problem. Bear in mind that the batteries may be going bad, but still have enough strength to push the red LED on the remote itself, but not enough juice to reach the converter. Try changing the batteries, just as a test.

If you don't get any results from these tests, I'd suggest a service call - the tech who rolls on it will surely have a new remote and converter, so he/she should be able to quickly fix your problem if it's equipment-related. Of course, you can try the payment center at the top of the hill (Eagle Rock Ave and Prospect - K-mart shopping center, all the way to the right and down the hill at the side of the building). They may be able to exchange the RC without having to wait for a truck roll.

Good luck,
Tim from Jersey

Saul_Good

West Orange, NJ
reply to Saul_Good

Re: [COMCAST] I can't change channels with my remo

Actually it was the remote. I returned it on Monday night for the new silver model and it worked. This remote is a lot faster than the black one, it changes channels quickly.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to Saul_Good

Re: [COMCAST] I can't change channels with my remote

Very cool.

-Tim from Jersey