uniqs

Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium Member
join:2002-05-13

Phantom 2

Premium Member

[help] Private Info alert

I have a problem that has just cropped up and thought I would ask for help here first.I have Norton Personal Firewall.Today I'm getting getting alerts from it that state that DSLR is asking for Social Security info from my PC.Does this make any sense?I only have this problem when using this site.Any suggestions?

MrFixitCT
pay it forward

join:2000-12-01
Port Charlotte, FL

MrFixitCT

Forwarded this question to higher powers though I'm sure this site would have no use for your SS info...

Dell User
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT

Dell User to Phantom 2

Premium Member

to Phantom 2
I'm not getting that, but for awhile this morning I had to click refresh three or four times to get the page to reload. I got an error (BBR) page indicating the site may be down. After 3 or 4 click it would reload properly,

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to Phantom 2

MVM

to Phantom 2
Hmmm....does NPF have a feature similar to Zone Alarm's ID Lock(Alerts you whenever your personal information in myVAULT is about to leave your computer) ?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Phantom 2

Premium Member

to Phantom 2
Oh yeah, you are just suppose to simply PM me your social and that will go away. JKBTW

Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium Member

Phantom 2 to Bubba

Premium Member

to Bubba
I'm not familiar with zone alarm but your description is right on..

BrettStarr
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

BrettStarr to Phantom 2

Premium Member

to Phantom 2

coincidence?

maybe you SS numbers are the same as the values somewhere in the DSLR cookie. Million to one coincidence, but could happen. Try deleting the cookie, then log back on to DSLR.
Good Luck...
edit: Most likely this is the problem. To confirm, view the contents of the cookie and see if the characters in your SS number match any character strings in the cookie. OK..

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

2 edits

Bubba to Phantom 2

MVM

to Phantom 2

Re: [help] Private Info alert

I was also going to ask if you were doing any Distributed Computing here at BBR but only after I found the thread where a similar occurrence came up. I'm unable to find the thread and I'm sure this goes without saying but I'll state here what the others in that thread stated also....BBR\DSLR has no desire to have your SSN. Sorry I can't find the thread that might help put your mind at ease.

similar occurrence thread....Zone alarm pro ?

Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium Member

Phantom 2

Premium Member

Thanks for the thread Bubba.That's exactly the same problem I'm having but with Norton.They ask you to enter your last four or five digits of your SS#,credit card# etc.and if a site asks for it you get an alert.I thought it was a pretty good safe guard but maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.I'll have to wait and see and disable if I have to.Thanks much for the help.Seasons' greetings to you and yours.

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

jazzman916 to Phantom 2

MVM,

to Phantom 2
This is a known issue. If any site requests those numbers that you entered it will alert you.

Your odds are better that this will happen less frequently if you enter your entire SS# in NPF. The same thing is true with your phone number and other data as well.