uniqs
share rss forum feed

vonage_rep

join:2002-08-20
New York, NY

1 recommendation

NEW Vonage Third Party Call Control

Dear Friends of Vonage,

We are proud to deliver to our development community, a Third Party Call Control test server that allows an application to place a call from a Vonage phone to any other phone in the world. For example, an Outlook plug-in can be created that would initiate a call by clicking on a phone number in the Outlook contact list. Another example would be to create a browser plug-in that would place a call to a phone number on any web page when clicked on. For more information, click . This is currently in beta testing, but we wanted to let the DSLReport community know about it first. Feel free to develop any applications you wish. Because this is a beta test, there is very limited support, however, please email any questions or send feedback to 3pcc@vonage.com.

Happy Holidays,
Vonage Product Development Group

Click where

@dsl.sfldmi.ameritech

Click where for more info ?

jmkraft
Premium
join:2002-04-11
Paris, IL

Kind of like the "email for more info button" on most websites. The "Click here" button (on the web page) would just dial the phone instead of opening your default email application. I have seen this type of script used before, but can't remember where.

It would be nice if it would dial both numbers (the webpages number and mine) to keep me from incurring LD charges should I not have an IP phone.

I will wait and see...
--
"US Army Engineer" P4 - 2 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, Extigy, WinXP-Pro, **Modem Teamed with 2 Dial-up Accounts**

vonage_rep

join:2002-08-20
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to vonage_rep

Hi Friends --
It just came to my attention that when I pasted in the post I had written, the link did not carry over correctly. It should have said....for more information click »secure.click2callu.com/

I've reposted the entire, correct post below:

Dear Friends of Vonage,
We are proud to deliver to our development community, a Third Party Call Control test server that allows an application to place a call from a Vonage phone to any other phone in the world. For example, an Outlook plug-in can be created that would initiate a call by clicking on a phone number in the Outlook contact list. Another example would be to create a browser plug-in that would place a call to a phone number on any web page when clicked on. For more information, click »secure.click2callu.com. This is currently in beta testing, but we wanted to let the DSLReport community know about it first. Feel free to develop any applications you wish. Because this is a beta test, there is very limited support, however, please email any questions or send feedback to 3pcc@vonage.com.
Happy Holidays,
Vonage Product Development Group

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to vonage_rep

Greetings

I would love to see this type of service offered to existing Vonage customers WITHOUT requiring the additional expense of a 'Softphone' account. Would be nice to 'click on an Icon or link, have the phone dial and then either pick up my handset or talk via the computer - seamlessly

BTW: I would be glad to help in this type of Beta

Sparky12

join:2000-02-27
Nokomis, FL

said by dellsweig:

I would love to see this type of service offered to existing Vonage customers WITHOUT requiring the additional expense of a 'Softphone' account.
Where does it say anything about it only working with the softphone?

dwightbarbou

join:2003-04-16
Washington, DC

1 edit

Is anyone concerned that that URL isn't at vonage.com domain? Afterall, to activate the URLs on that page requires your ID and password.

I just called Vonage and after a few minutes was advised that this is legit!

I don't see the vonage_rep post as often as Mr. Williams of www.broadvoxdirect.com, so wasn't sure if they really worked for vonage.com.

This looks like fun!
DB

ECX

@elkrdg01.md.comcast.
reply to vonage_rep

I just tried it out. It works great. I noticed that the CallerID came up with "Vonage Click2..." which is significant since I don't normally get any callerID.

If you want to try it out, you can. I am TEMPORARILY leaving up a way for you to have me call you on my windows website. Feel free to put in your number at the bottom of the page. Don't worry I won't save it or do anything with it...but I am a bit under the weather right now, so I won't be able to talk to you long. I just created this, so there is no error checking and its nothing fancy, but I will say that it is very cool.

»www.craftsmanwindows.com/about_Us.cfm

Thanks for Vonage for this feature!

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to dwightbarbou

Ha

That thought crossed my mind as well - I am getting suspcious in my old age.....

Billing

@dsl.sfldmi.ameritech
reply to vonage_rep

What will be the billing policies for this beta test, and also for the final product ?

I am NOT on the unlimited plan, and hate to run up a huge bill for beta testing for Vonage.

Info on billing for final product will be appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck.

ECX

@elkrdg01.md.comcast.
reply to vonage_rep

Well I wasn't too worried about that part...and I can now tell you for sure that this is legit. Jeff Citron, President of Vonage just called me (!) using the website above. (Thanks Jeff, that was an honor to speak with you.)

I want to point out a few things about this service: If you're going to put a service like this on your website, be careful with your Vonage username and password. You can't just hide it in a form. You need to do something more sophisticated or you will expose your Vonage account. I am use ColdFusion, so here's what I do:

Some Error message so that you don't expose the code in your error message.

You could do similar things with Flash, ASP, JSP, PHP, etc.

Also, I am told you need to clean the phone number of symbols...and make sure they added the "1" to the begining. I am working on this now.

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

2 edits

WOW!! It is super fast!

I wonder if they want sugggestions posted here or privately.

One great thing would be if the results were in xml format... like an xml web service.

HOW COOL! I wonder if Vonage has a programmers forum. I would love to create a training program using ASP.NET to talk to their systems (calls, vmail, etc)

If anyone knows of a technical forum, please let me know.

Anyone else interested in making programmer toys for Vonage?
I think it would be fun to make Vonage the solution for web developers! (and their friends and family)

Dwight.

ECX

@elkrdg01.md.comcast.
reply to vonage_rep

Sorry that the code didn't come through right in my last post. (Its not that great anyway, but it does do the trick for now.)

ColdFusion code (To make this work, put in your own username and password and remove the spaces at the beginging of the HTTPS URL to make this work.):

<CFSET VARIABLES.clean_phone_number=replacelist(#FORM.your_number#,"/,-,(,), ,+,\ ","" ) >

<CFIF left(VARIABLES.clean_phone_number,1) is not "1">

<CFSET VARIABLES.clean_phone_number="1#VARIABLES.clean_phone_number#">

</CFIF>

<CFTRY>

<CFHTTP method="GET" resolveURL="yes" url="https : //secure.click2callu.com/tpcc/makecall?username=USERNAME&password=PASSWORD&fromnumber=13015551212&tonumber=#VARIABLES.clean_phone_number#"></CFHTTP>
<CFCATCH type="any">

Something went wrong with the number you gave. I'm working on giving better errors.

</CFCATCH>

</CFTRY>

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA
reply to dwightbarbou

I tried the links and got request sucessful. I am a long ways from home so I cant answer the vonage line.
Here is an example I would like to set up.
Im at Moms 300 miles from my Vonage phone.
I would like to be able to request a call via my moms computer then answer here at moms house and have the url conect me to my friend in Alaska via 3 way.

That way the Vonage line would call moms and Alaska and patch us together on my Vonage bill.

Anybody got any other ideas?

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

I have seen that somewhere, but don't recall where.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that's something that is/will be available with BroadVoxDirect.com or VoicePulse.com.

Yes, that would be handy if Vonage provided it too. One thing to note is that the first call is to the Vonage line and second to the ToNumber.

Dwight.

Solution

@dsl.sfldmi.ameritech
reply to JJV

From your Mom's computer, login to Vonage and forward your calls to her phone.

Then, when you use the new feature, the first call goes like this:

Your # --> forwarded to Mom's --> answered

Now Vonage should connect your friend's # in Alaska.

Just a guess that it may work. Worth a try.

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

1 edit

Wow. U are good, Solution! I wish I would have thought of that.

Now, if we only had a programmatic way to do that call forwarding via HTTP (post or get) or web services.

What do you think, Vonage?

Dwight.

p.s. This is the best xmas gift I got this year!

jwardl

join:2000-08-12
Spring, TX

1 edit
reply to vonage_rep

Not a complaint, just a comment...

Hands down, this is a great feature -- especially for business accounts.

However...

logins and passwords will really have to be guarded now. Otherwise, this could be SERIOUSLY abused (i.e. "NO, honey... I'm telling you... I DIDN'T CALL 1-900-WAN-TABJ 40 times last month")
[made-up number for example -- NOT AN ad if it's real!]
Ok -- if I remember, 900 numbers are blocked automatically. Just trying to illustrate my point with a little humor.

I hope Vonage has some way of logging the IP of every request -- for a little extra security. If not, it would be a good move.

The Way Out

join:2003-01-20
reply to vonage_rep

Is it possible for us developers to get a "temporary" Vonage account to develop plugins for this? I am not a Vonage customer, but would be interested in integrating this into our existing applications. Thanks.

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC
reply to jwardl

Logging the IP address is something the devleoper should do.

I would do the two following tasks:

1. verify that the person came from my form page by checking HTTP_REFERER. This way you can make sure they don't interface with your script from their own form or web application.

2. log the IP address of the client so I can make a 'do not complete call list' and return a 'do not abuse this service' message. REMOTE_HOST provides the IP address of the client computer where the person viewing the page is (e.g., nyc-034934.ny.comcast.com).

Dwight.

jwardl

join:2000-08-12
Spring, TX

Good point.

Great Idea

@dsl.sfldmi.ameritech
reply to vonage_rep

If this works via entering as an address in the address bar, then I could give the formatted address (including my userid and passowrd) to my parents abroad with my # as FromNumber and their # as ToNumber, and they could cut & paste into the address bar whenever they needed to call me at my expense.

Secondly, if we are already entering userID and password for authentication anyway, could we not enter any number where we wish to receive the call, and not necessarily our Vonage number. This number could be any number, such as JJV's Mom's number as he requests from his comment above.

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

2 edits
reply to The Way Out

... snip ...
... replaced by another post ...

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

1 edit
reply to vonage_rep

Thanks I will try the forwarding trick tonight!

Another idea would be to add a delay so a dial up user can request a call in 5 minutes. then they would have time to log off and find their cordless phone.

The Nextel web site uses a solution like that.

Another crazy idea.
Has anyone tried the link with a wap browser on a cell phone?

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

1 edit
reply to The Way Out

Instead of temporary accounts for eveyrone. Maybe Vonage should do the following:

1. compile an email list of programmers
This would also provide Vonage access us so we can fill out surveys and receive more info on programming tools as they become available... All in a more controlled manner.

2. send a new ID and PWD weekly to the list (Share one account instead of individual accounts).

3. try to prevent abuse by limiting the calls to 15 seconds after connecting the two numbers.

Dwight.

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

URLEncode QueryString Values (Classic ASP code)

Be careful of the querystring values!

If your ID and/or password have special characters in it, you will need to URL Encode (with Hex values) so the data gets to the processing page.

In the snip below, it is assumed that your ID has no special characters in it, but your pwd might.

qs = "?userName=XXXXXX&Password="
qs = qs & server.URLEncode(request.form("pwd"))

Dwight.

youngmoore

join:2001-03-16
Marietta, GA
reply to dwightbarbou

Re: NEW Vonage Third Party Call Control

Most likely it was call pilot from Nortel.
Use to use it all the time.
ym

jmkraft
Premium
join:2002-04-11
Paris, IL
reply to vonage_rep

Just wondering what I was doing wrong...

I copies the link to a page of mine replacing the following after the .../makecall?

username="MyUserName"&password="MyPassword"&fromnumber="1MyPhoneNumber"&tonumber="NumberIWantItToCall"

I used the "'s in this message show it would show up
--
"US Army Engineer" P4 - 2 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, Extigy, WinXP-Pro, **Modem Teamed with 2 Dial-up Accounts**

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

I don't see anything wrong with that, except the quotes, like you metnioned.

What happens when you click it? Do you get an error mesage from their web applicaiton?

Do you get a call, but then then get a dials tone instead of a second number being rung?

dwightbarbou

Washington, DC

Also, make sure the data pieces (to the right of the equal signs) do not have any funny characters (including a space).

Per the w3c, a space means the end of the URL. To stop this from being a problem, you need to encode the data pieces. See my other posting on QueryStrings in this forum.

Other problematic symbols include : and /. I usually encode anything that has more than A..Z, a..z, 0..9.

If you're just writing a simple 'a href' tag for testing, take the spaces out yourself.

Dwight.