Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ethics$
Premium
join:2000-12-27
Brooklyn, NY

Encrypting Directories: Suggestions?

What I am looking for is to have one directory to have my private information. Not too private, just some of the registration keys, and serial numbers. I would want to encrypt the entire directory.

Are there are any programs that do this? I would want a free solution, or at least a trial.
--
Folding can save a life!

eburger68
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Hi:

There links to a number of drive, file, and folder encryption programs here:

»www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/soft11.htm

Many of them are in fact free.

If you're wishing simply to encrypt serials and other discrete bits of info, you might check out some of the password managers, which are, in reality, just apps which keep an encrypted database:

»www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/soft1···Managers

Again, many of these are free.

Hope one of the programs on the above pages suits your needs.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario
kudos:1

scratched my posted link. . .

Eric's Link provide the same, plus many many more.

[text was edited by author 2001-05-27 15:12:06]

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
reply to ethics$
Here is a program I'm looking into for my Win98/se machine. My Win2k I use the hidden and readonly permisions. And have nothing to really worry about hiding to much there anyway

And just some saved email and the like on the other.

But take a look »www.camouflage.freeserve.co.uk/
--
Never give up!

N9ZN
Security Is A Community Effort

join:2001-03-29
Tampa, FL
reply to eburger68
said by eburger68:
There links to a number of drive, file, and folder encryption programs here:
Check out these sites above in Eric's post.

Eric, I had no idea you have been going into such depth on this very, very important issue.

Excellent job!

Here's a thumb for all the effort.

ethics$
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to ethics$
Wow, thanks folks. Eric, I went with PGP encryption.

Was pretty easy to set up and I love the right-click addition to encrypt when I am in the directory structure. Exactly what I was looking for.
--
Folding can save a life!

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1
reply to ethics$
Eric- incredible. You have been very busy!

PGP is too much for me. What is the best FREE program to password lock ONE folder?

I tried EncryptionPlus and I did not like it. Removing it was quite challenging -- Add/Remove did NOT do the trick. I did a lot of manual removal...

eburger68
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
reply to ethics$
Hi All:

Thanks for the thumbs! I haven't been able to try all of those programs. You'll find that file/folder/drive encryption programs are a dime-a-dozen on the net, and without being a crypto expert, you have to rely on reputation for deciding which program to go with.

ScramDisk is highly recommended by those "in the know" -- it's an On the Fly Encryption (OTFE) program which uses containers that get mounted as virtual drives. The 9x version is free; the newer NT version is for $$.

I use BestCrypt, another OTFE program, and it's worked fine for me. Easy access to my virtual drives (containers). I've even created containers on ZIP disks which can be mounted right off the ZIP drive.

Kremlin also has a good reputation, as do E4M (Encryption for Masses), and PGPdisk (of course).

As for specific programs that encrypt folders -- I'm afraid you'll have to check out the programs yourself. I decided early on that I liked the virtual drive concept and went that route.

If you're interested in reading a comparative review of the several OTFE apps out there, check this page:

»www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/t···ypto.htm

The author, Sarah Dean, has a neat little add-on that works with several OTFE products, making them a bit easier to use:

»www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/t···Util.htm

And, of course, if you're going to be encrypting data on your drives, you'd be wise to pick up a file shredder/disk wiper as well. There's no sense in dropping your files into an encrypted folder or drive if the plain text originals are still sitting around because of insecure deletion:

»www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/soft11.htm

For wipers and shredders, Eraser and BCWipe seem to be the most popular (I use Eraser).

And finally, for a comparative review of shredders/wipers, see Sarah Dean's other helpful review here:

»www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/t···ders.htm

Hope the above gives y'all enough to chew on for a while.

Eric L. Howes

ethics$
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by eburger68:
Hi All:
Kremlin also has a good reputation, as do E4M (Encryption for Masses), and PGPdisk (of course).

Sorry, my family spent 6 years trying to get the hell out of Soviet Union in 1978, the last thing I will use is THAT program.
--
Folding can save a life!

ethics$
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to eburger68
Eric, thanks again.

I've went with Mhoward recommendation (and yours too it seems) of using East-Tec's Eraser 2000.

I do not need to erase it THAT much though and will probably run it by-weekly.
--
Folding can save a life!

System
reply to ethics$
If you are using W2K it has built in encryption that you can use. If not then there are tons of other programs that the others have mentioned already.

wayaunega
The Most Hated Of All Posters

join:2001-02-21
Asheboro, NC
reply to ethics$
i use PGP but another one that i have used is called SYNCRYPT it keeps a vault (kinda like the folder your want ing to encrypt) .i always thought that was a cool feature.
--
....common sense isn't too common anymore....