dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
System

Anon

aDSL Download problems

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can help me here. I just built a new system running WinME after running fine on a Win98 SE system for 2 weeks on my recently installed aDSL line.

My new system running ME is an AMD 1.3MHz 128MB PC133, NVidia GeForce 2 video, Kingston EtherRx KNE111TX NIC, Westel Wirespeed aDSL modem.

The problem:

Right around the time I built my new system I started having problems downloading files from the Internet. I can browse with roughly the same speed as before, but when I try to download (e.g. Windows updates, WinZip, or anything else), the download initiates, but stops during the download process, usually after the first packet is received, but once stopped it will not complete the download. I've tried a download manager (GetRight 4.3), upgraded my PPPoE adapter (Enternet from 1.4 to 1.5), even tried a different adapter RASPPPOE v.95 nothing works... SBCIS says there are no reported problems in my area, and I see in DSLReports speed test archives that other people in my area are running fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried running the DSLReports tests but they all froze under both IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.72, except for the Port tests which show no major troubles besides the fact that all my UDP ports are filtered (don't know if this is good or bad).

Thanks!

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX

Flippant

DMan, this problem crops up about once a month, although haven't seen it lately. It is almost always a hardware conflict on your system. Usually the fix is to remove the NIC from the system and reinstall it in a different slot. I will see if I can find some older posts on this. As you have had this NIC working on another machine then it shouldn't be the NIC card itself.

Good description of your problem and system specifics, it really helps!
Flippant

Flippant to Anon

to Anon
Ok I found a few.

»Can not download...
»I need some help with my dsl please.
»You guys rock!!!!!!!!

Hope this works.

RamblingRam
N F C ........ West Champions
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
Chesterfield, MO

RamblingRam

Premium Member

Another "Thumb's Up" for Flippant -- Hoo-Humm, just another day in the park (lol). Excellent work!!! -Ed-
Gotta go earn a dollar now, see yaaaaaaaaa!

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant

Ed, thanks for the thumb, but it may be premature. I think one of those threads was a poor fellow who never figured out what was going on. Although in this case, I think the chance of success is higher.
System

Anon

Okay, here's the skinny...

Uninstalled the Kingston drivers and switched PCI slots. On the first reboot I got a CPU error on my mobo (MSI K7T Turbo has LED indicators on the mobo) and no bootup sequence. Moved the card again and rebooted and got a CMOS checksum error which reset my bios to default settings... After rebooting again on default 900Mhz CPU settings :/, set up the NIC and PPPoE adapter then spent the next 4 hours researching proper CPU clock speed and and timer settings to get my system stable again running at 1.3Mhz! Nice detour, eh?

The result:

I can download files with Netscape, but still not with IE. Even Netscape seems to require me to cancel a stalled download in progress, clear memory and disk cache, and start over. The good news is after a few tries I could download some larger files (tested up to a 2.7Mb file).

Could line problems cause downloads to stall and not resume like this without once loosing my network connection??? Is this the best I can expect?

FYI - I also checked the IRQ settings under Conflicts/Sharing in System Information. The NIC was originally sharing IRQ 10 with the VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller. Now it's on IRQ 11 which it shares with my VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM). Regardless, I'm pretty sure the MSI K7T Turbo mobo fully supports IRQ Steeing but perhaps it has something to do with sharing IRQ's with the USB? I forgot to mention I have an external ZIP 100 USB...

Sorry for the essay, it's late and I'm rambling.

~DMan

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Successfully completed a speed test just now for the first time... got 1195/104.

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Successfully completed a speed test just now for the first time... got 1195/104.

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

RamblingRam
N F C ........ West Champions
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
Chesterfield, MO

RamblingRam to Flippant

Premium Member

to Flippant
said by Flippant:
Ed, thanks for the thumb, but it may be premature. I think one of those threads was a poor fellow who never figured out what was going on. Although in this case, I think the chance of success is higher.
Just got home from work, and saw your reply Flippant. Heck I wish some of the others posters % of so called answers or problem fixing were half as good as yours are -- thank you for your untiring effort day in and day out!
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Is there any way in the CMOS to manually set the IRQ for your NIC card? NIC card that used for DSL modem doesn't like to have IRQ sharing. Latest version of AMI or AWARD CMOS BIOS allow user to manually assign IRQ to a particular PCI slot. Do you have another NIC card that you can try?
I will start plain and simple with a video card and a NIC card and disabling the rest by either unplug or disable via CMOS to test the download. And then gradually adding back peripheral one at a time until you narrow down to a single one peripheral that gives you the conflict. You can monitor IRQ usage via My Computer-->Properties--->Device Manager-->Computer-->Properties..

Here is another link that you can take a look at with similar problem as yours. It uses NETSTAT to monitor the system resources while downloading..

Have fun..

MowerMan5
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Fort Worth, TX

MowerMan5

Premium Member

If you install an ISA NIC, you can manually set the IRQ... the Kingston NICs that are part of the package are PCI and they let Windows select the IRQ for them... Most ASI crews have some ISA NICs still and, while they are older technology and a bit slower, they can solve some problems that otherwise are very difficult.
System

Anon

Later BIOS allows manual IRQ assignments to even PCI slots unless it is proprietary in nature such as Compaq, HP, IBM, etc...my Kingston EtherRx PCI NIC card is manually set to IRQ 5 to avoid conflict with my other peripherals when I built my own PC with Windows ME and with AWARD BIOS...

Anon

I have a recent AWARD BIOS, but when I go into PnP/PCI configuration and set the resource controls to Manual, the only choices I have under IRQ assignments are to switch between PCI/ISA PnP or Legacy ISA. It doesn't allow me to assign a specific IRQ to a specific slot.

NoHoP, since you're using AWARD BIOS and the Kingston EtherRX NIC, how exactly did you manually assign the NIC to IRQ 5? I checked and IRQ 5 is free on my system... in BIOS -> Power Management -> Wake up events, I can see IRQ 5 is reserved for LPT2, but I will never use LPT2 so this is the perfect choice but I can't figure out how to assign it to the NIC. I'm reluctant to switch slots again after what happened to my CMOS last night, but if necessary there are still 2 more PCI slots I can try...

Thanks again.

Anon

Ummm...so you have different version of the AWARD BIOS, it's unfortunate. One way to get around that is to manually changed IRQ assignment via Device Manager (still just with a video and a nic setup) and see whether ME allows you to do that...

How many IRQ's left after your computer is fully loaded with peripherals but without the NIC?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to Anon

MVM

to Anon
Not to butt in on this reply, but you should leave your NIC where it is and not try to change your IRQ settings. If you are not experiencing any problems then leave well enough alone.
System

Anon

said by DaSneaky1D:
Not to butt in on this reply, but you should leave your NIC where it is and not try to change your IRQ settings. If you are not experiencing any problems then leave well enough alone.

He left his NIC where it was but that's where the whole mess got started or he won't be posting here for assistance!?

In other words, he does experience problems to begin with..

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Follow the bouncing ball. He said he can test clean now, but he still wants to change his IRQ. I was saying that if he can test clean now, don't change anything that could cause him to not test clean.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant to Anon

to Anon
So DMan, end of story? All's well? Hope so, either that or you can't get online at all, I certainly hope it is the former, if so Enjoy!
System

Anon

Seems to be working fine now. I think it definitely was the particular PCI slot I was using.

Thanks all!

I guess any intermitten glitches I run into from here will be external as I'm done playing with my box for the moment.

Thank heaven I found this forum or I'd probably still be scratching my head and cursing SWBELL (wrongly so)...

Regards,
DMan

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Try this:

Since you are trying to access DSL, disable the dialup modem in device manager. That should free up an irq in most systems. If not, remove it.

I love seeing dialup modems in user computers. Always know I have an IRQ if I need one.

hi
@stlsmo.swbell.ne

hi

Anon

I can't believe you could run win98 with 1 1.3 mhz comp, thats like old calculator speed or something. shoulda been 1.3 ghz..just thought it was kind of funny, not being ignorant.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant to Anon

to Anon
OK, I was going to let the first one slide, but something needs to be said here. First this thread is 2 1/2 months old. Second DMan has not been back to the site since his last post in this thread. He is not reading this.