uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vickter

join:2004-01-07
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

WPA: "Key Absent"

WPA: “Key Absent”

I just bought a Dell 5100 with the Dell TrueMobile 1300 miniPCI card. I’ve been trying to set up WPA to work with the card, but I kept having problems with it. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 v4. Every time I would connect to the router, the connection would last for 3 mins, and then it wouldn’t be able to send any packets after that. There would be a strong link to the router, and it was still associated but there was nothing happening. Under the Dell TrueMobile Utility I kept getting the message “Key Absent”. These were the settings on the router: WPA-PSK, Group Key Renewal to 600, and the SSID on. I was also have DHCP enabled on the router, and it dynamically assigned my Notebook and IP Address. Aside from all the settings the only thing I changed to get my configuration to work, was to manually assign an IP address to my machine. I still have all the same settings, except for the DHCP dynamically assign me an IP address. Now I don’t get the “Key Absent” appearing anymore. Maybe this can help someone. Anyone have any idea why after manually setting the IP address on my machine WPA begins to work properly? I’m glad it works, just wondering what’s going on in there.

-Vickter

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I am getting the same thing but I'm not using a Dell TrueMobile card but have used two different wireless PCI cards (a Linksys WMP54G and now a Motorola WPCI810G). They both work fine but like you, when I turn my computer on I can use the Internet for about 4 or 5 minutes but then I lose the Internet connection even though I'm still connected to the AP. When I check my Wireless Lan Utility it says that the Encryption key for WPA is absent. I already have my configuration as a manually assigned IP. Did you turn off completely in your router DHCP Assiging? I left that on. I'm actually thinking of going back to DHCP. But I'll wait to see if anyone else has any comments on why it does this.

Vickter

Los Angeles, CA
reply to Vickter
I was so happy because I thought I fixed my problem. Turns out that as soon as I restarted my machine, the problem continued. WEP works fine, but I would like to use WPA. I was searching through google, and other forums here, and found that it might have something to do with Windows XP WZC. I still get the same problem when after 3-5 minutes, my connection stops working. I just disable and enable the device again, and it works fine. It just happens each time I restart the machine. Well I guess I'll have to keep looking around and see what happend. By the way, I still had DHCP enabled, I just manually assigned one to my notebook. But I guess it didn't work.

-Vickter

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
This has been a ongoing problem. I have a WRT54G router a Dell TM1300 MiniPCI card a Dell TM 1300 PC slot card and a Linksys WPC54G PC slot card with 3 different notebooks. The only notebook that connects and stays connected is the 1 with the MiniPCI card in it. The other disconnect 2-3-4-5 minutes after boot. I have found a fix for the PC slot cards, I remove the card when the notebook isn't on.Then let the PC boot all the way to the desktop when I'm going to use it. Then after complete boot I insert the card. Doing this I don't have the disconnects. If that is not a option, as with MiniPCI cards or a wireless card in a desktop, just disable the connection then enable it again. This also works if I forget to take the card out when I'm rebooting the notebook.
--
Are You Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to Vickter
Just a guess, but have you tried the fixes mentioned in this thread?

»Wireless Update Rollup Package for Windows XP
--
BigEd

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
said by Oregonian:
Just a guess, but have you tried the fixes mentioned in this thread?

»Wireless Update Rollup Package for Windows XP

Thanks for posting that Oregonian See Profile I should of. Yes I have all the latest updates from MS and the latest drivers for the cards and still have the problem with both PC slot cards. The MiniPCI card works the way it's suppose to, connects and stays connected.
--

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Vickter
I'm beginning to think if this is more of a router issue than it is XP WPA issue. I know people that successfully use WPA (AES or TKIP) on XP Pro and Home without any problems. However, none of the people I know are using a Linksys WRT54G router (which is what I'm using now). It's odd too because I downloaded the XP Update download but that only fixed the slow connection at bootup of my wireless client. I'm ordering a Motorola WR850G. My cousin uses the same one with a Motorola WPCI810G on XP Pro with WPA (AES) and doesn't suffer from the kinds of disconnects I and apparently many others, are suffering from.
I will post back if that indeed fixes my problem.

Vickter

Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
reply to Oregonian
Yes. I have updated the drivers for my Wireless device, and I have the latest firmware for my Router. I also installed the Rollup Package for Windows XP, but still no success. I'll just buy a new Router, and upgrade to 802.11g. Thanks a lot people. But before I continue, can anyone refer me of a good Router other than Linksys?

-Vickter

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
You could try the Motorola that obeythelaw See Profile is buying. I'd think about it myself but I use a hack on my WRT to boost the signal. And I don't want to give that up.
--

ahuebel

join:2003-09-24
Houston, TX
I dont think it is a wireless router problem. I have a Cisco Aironet 1100 and have weird issues with WPA-PSK. It works perfectly fine in windows 2000 using the proxim client utility that comes with my Orinoco gold card, but in windows XP using WZC I have weird issues. I can ultimately get it to work and continue working if I have everything set up (PSK etc) and then reboot my AP. Definate issues with WZC, XP, and WPA-PSK.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Vickter
well, i went out and purchased the Motorola WR850G. I also UNINSTALLED the WPA "fix" from Microsoft (#826942). I've restarted my computer a few times and have been able to stay connected without my Motorola card telling me the Key Absent. Unfortunately, I don't know whether its because I uninstalled the supposed update fix or from the Motorola router. However, I must say that the router works great. I think it works better than the WRT54G I had. The only thing I don't like about the router is that if you make "major" changes to your configuration such as changing the SSID, for example, you can't just hit apply but must also press the "reset" button on the config page and wait about 15 seconds for the bar to go across for the changes to to effect. It's not too bad since I don't make changes often to my config.
Anyway, if anyone hasn't you might want to try uninstalling the 826942 from Add/Remove programs and see if that fixes it. Good luck!

MyTechLife
Tech Guru

join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV
reply to Vickter
Your System Event logs may give you a clue as to your troubles and resolve as it did in my case »[wireless] Having WPA random disconnect issue? Try this...

pwsc

join:2003-11-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Vickter
I have experienced the same problem, getting a "key absent" error a couple of minutes after a login.

I have found a work-around which minimizes the effect of the problem: change the key renewal period on the router to something small, e.g. 10 or 15 seconds. It seems that the "key absent" state resovles itself at the next key renewal.

pwsc

Toronto, ON
I am told (thx Andy) that changing the following registry key will resolve this problem. The issue has to do with machine vs. client authentication. Using WPA-PSK, there is of course no need for client authorization.

>> With AuthMode set to 2 it means Machine authentication >> only. Whenever a user logs in, it has no effect on the
>> connection. 802.1X authentication is performed using
>> machine credentials only.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General\Global]
"AuthMode"=dword:00000002

ZOverLord
Premium
join:2003-10-20
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Vickter
What version of Router Firmware do you have, are you aware, that there is a 1.50.10 version now?

Vickter

Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
reply to Vickter
I just purchased the Linksys WRT54G Router and I don't get the Key Absent problem anymore. I set the Group Key Renewal to 60 seconds and everything works fine. After visiting wi-fi.org I searhced for WPA certified routers and the WRT54G router was there. Looks like the old Linksys router wasn't certified for it.

Vickter

Los Angeles, CA
reply to ZOverLord
I upgraded to that firmware version but I still had problems. By setting the group renewal key to 60 seconds helped me a lot. But with the BEFW11S4 it wouldn't let me set the group renewal key below 600 seconds. Maybe that has to do something with it.

MoparHemi

join:2002-03-14
Yorba Linda, CA
I have a Dell 8600 Laptop with a 1300 mpci card and a Netgear WGR 614v2 that I upgraded the firmware on to support WPA. I also had the key absent just after boot-up. Tried numerous things but just couldn't get it to go away until I read a post from Peter on Microsoft's forum about the registry entry and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks Peter

Ed

pwsc

Toronto, ON
Hi MoparHemi,

I am the same "Peter" that posted to Microsoft's forum. I'm glad that the fix worked for you but the real thanks go to "Andy" who emailed me the solution after seeing my post of on the Microsoft forum.

Regards,

Peter/PWSC