how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JadenXBP

join:2003-12-17
reply to j23s3afj

Re: My experience with Comcast bandwidth suspension

Everyone should like this one. Comcast shut my service off on the 6th. Made the call and was told to call another number, did this and got put right off to voicemail. Got a call back on the 8th and told them that yes i cut back by more than 50% and i also now use a bandwidth monitor. So now i know just what i use (from the 17th till the 9th 28.91GB down and 11.44GB up)and some of the upload is network, about 3GB. I WAS TOLD THAT ANYONE WHO GOT A LETTER HAD THERE SERVICE CUT. Well anyway talked it out with them and got my service put back on. Today i get a call from a friend who got a letter a few days after i did and he said that comcast cut his service yesterday (the 8th) and that his total download after the first letter was only 10GB. So all in all it looks like what i was told is right as i dont see then cutting his service for only 10GB.

Recap

Dec 12 1st letter, called and was told to cut back
Dec 17 bandwidth monitor installed and running full time
Jan 6 comcast cut my service, i called comcast voicemail
Jan 8 call returned, was told that everyone who got a letter will have service cut (got my service back)
Jan 9 call from friend, his service was cut on the 8th (his use was less than 20 gigs total)

cumcast5

join:2003-11-24
said by JadenXBP:
Everyone should like this one. Comcast shut my service off on the 6th. Made the call and was told to call another number, did this and got put right off to voicemail. Got a call back on the 8th and told them that yes i cut back by more than 50% and i also now use a bandwidth monitor. So now i know just what i use (from the 17th till the 9th 28.91GB down and 11.44GB up)and some of the upload is network, about 3GB. I WAS TOLD THAT ANYONE WHO GOT A LETTER HAD THERE SERVICE CUT. Well anyway talked it out with them and got my service put back on. Today i get a call from a friend who got a letter a few days after i did and he said that comcast cut his service yesterday (the 8th) and that his total download after the first letter was only 10GB. So all in all it looks like what i was told is right as i dont see then cutting his service for only 10GB.

Recap

Dec 12 1st letter, called and was told to cut back
Dec 17 bandwidth monitor installed and running full time
Jan 6 comcast cut my service, i called comcast voicemail
Jan 8 call returned, was told that everyone who got a letter will have service cut (got my service back)
Jan 9 call from friend, his service was cut on the 8th (his use was less than 20 gigs total)

Same happened to me got 1 letter then got a termination. I never recieved 3 notices or ample warning. middle of the following month is not sufficient warning.

L Campanazo

join:2003-12-15

Document your experience with Comcast CS reps.

As the current volley of letters hit the chosen CHSI customers this month I would again stress documenting all correspondence with the Oligarch's minions.

-Save letters w/envelopes (stampdates mail and delivery in relation with suspension dates, etc.)

-RECORD your conversations with customer services
.....-obtain a mic
.....-get your kids cassette-cd boombox
.....-get cassette, label "comcast reps-do not erase-"
.....-plug mic, call cs and keep mic close to phone's output
.....-Ask CS to mail you a written statement for any
resolution you reach (ie "cut back by 30%", "your neighbors complained on mo-dt-yr," etc, )
.....-The more tech-savvy can of course just use their pc's mic and record away (and maybe post here keeping-low-kbps-khz.)
.....-KEEP for YOUR records

-Install and run multiple Bandwidth monitoring software (i noticed a few minor discrepancies and some crash not saving data others save logs constantly)

-Save your firewall and antivirus logs (to show your machine is clean and the traffic of attemptted intrusions is incoming and not outgoing)

DOCUMENTATION is primordial if there is to be succesful resolutions against these practices of comcast's.

Comcast likely records and maintains a copy of all their calls, sent-received-letters w/mail-dates, e-mails, and is keeping a detailed track of your daily bandwidth activity.
It makes sense to do the same.

JaquelJ

@adelphia.net
About that recording thing: speaking as a former employee of CHSI customer service, I can tell you that if you want to get a conversation to record you shouldn't tell the agent that you're recording. They are instructed to inform you that if you don't turn off the recorder to hang up on you after 3 warnings, and not to say anything but "I do not authorize you to tape this."

L Campanazo

Thanks for your input Jaquel, always appreciate to obtain this kind of information.
It's just too bad for CS they couldn't tell I recorded all my calls with them.

Back to topic:
I would further recommend all to visit EFF.org , The Electronic Frontier Foundation, as it seems, it would be the correct organization that would support the users when dealing with an oligarch such as comcast.
I would especially encourage the people that have experienced suspensions/terminations to contact the organization.
There are simmilar sites out there, maybe someone can compile them all and post, either way EFF is a great start, hopefully they will take action soon.

MikaShoe

join:2004-01-10
Warren, MI
I am now also a victim of the five-hundred pound gorilla called Comcast.

I called the number on the infamous NAUPV to attempt to understand what the alleged abuse is. I got a customer service representative who did not introduce themselves, and after I mentioned the NAUPV immediately accused me of calling earlier. I then was transferred to the voicemail box of “the only department who can help,” where the line went busy and I got disconnected.

Unfazed, I called back and got “Dustin”. I gave him my phone number, and he said “Is this the first letter you have gotten?” I answered, “That is correct.” He told me to cut back on usage by %20-%30 and not to worry about it. I asked what is the download cap, and he said “about downloading 90 movies.” I did not understand what “90 movies” translates to, he said 90-100 gig should be fine. I asked how much did I download, and he replied “I cannot tell you.” Dustin was one of the most cordial technicians I have been able to speak with, but it was apparent and he claimed that they really do not get told much.

That is when I did a web search to find one of the longest threads I have seen. The more I read, the more frustrated I am becoming. What Comcast is doing is nothing short of illegal. A quick search of the FCC website at »www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/record.html tells me that, “cable operators must provide a subscriber access to all personally identifiable information about the subscriber at reasonable times and at a convenient place.” Collecting statistics on my downloading patterns not aggregated with other users would certainly constitute “personally identifiable” information if they sent me the NAUPV. Comcast is bound by the FCC to provide this information upon request at a convenient place. I would certainly consider over the phone while talking to support, or on their web site when I log in to the Comcast homepage seeing at the top “You have downloaded XX out of YY Gig this month” would satisfy the “convenient place” stipulation of the FCC guidelines.

Additionally Comcast is required to notify its customers that they are collecting this information, how the information may be accessed, for what period of time the information may be retained, and provide a statement of your rights. I then turned to the Comcast Privacy Statement at »www.comcast.net/privacy/ where Comcast makes these notifications. The statement made under “Correcting and Accessing Information” is very interesting. It makes the claim that “you may examine and copy (at your cost) any personally identifiable information we collect and maintain relating to you at your local Comcast office upon reasonable notice and during regular business hours. If you wish to inspect those records, please contact us by telephone at 1-800- COMCAST, giving us a reasonable period of time to locate and, if necessary, prepare the information for review, and to arrange an appointment during regular business hours.” The Privacy policy continues on to reasonably fulfill the other requirements of enforcement process and time duration of retention.

I demand that Comcast fulfill their obligations under Federal law and local franchise agreements. I am glad to see that a petition has been started, and should be submitted as a Petition for Special Relief with the Federal Communications Commission, Cable Services Bureau, Consumer Protection and Competition Division, 445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C., 20554. I noticed there are already a few signatures, but this deep in the thread, maybe it is time for the petition to get “slash-dotted.”

That is only one claim, and I am certain that others may be made since Comcast is required to “maintain a public inspection file” and “must place copies of proof-of-performance test data.” The service agreements and proof of performance has to be made available upon request. I would think withholding the existence and the exact amount of the download cap would be in direct conflict.

I have to admit that I am pissed, but if someone does not get pissed I fear what the next egregious act Comcast inflicts on their customers under the guise of their legalized monopoly. Sign the petition, forward it to the FCC. In the mean time I will open a grievance with my franchise authority and I urge you to do the same. Monday I will also have my lawyer prepare a complaint for the state attorney general and any media resource willing to listen.

This is just not fair to be threatened cancellation from a service with no reasonable alternative, and not being given the criteria under which they are enforcing their policy. Is it because of using the bandwidth? Downloading too much? Downloading at the wrong times? Visiting the wrong sites? Because I used a foreign name? NONE OF THIS CRITERIA HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY STATED. WE ARE ONLY ACTING ON PRESUMTION AND HEAR-SAY. I DEMAND COMCAST DEFINE THEIR TERMS OF SERVICE.

jansm38
Vn800-B
Premium
join:2003-05-19
Blackwood, NJ
reply to L Campanazo
quote:
It's just too bad for CS they couldn't tell I recorded all my calls with them.
I'm not sure about the laws in your state but I'd have to question how well an unauthorized recording would stand up in court. How can you prove that you didn't record a conversation with a friend down the street pretending to be a comcast employee? Did you get the tech to state his full name and employee number, are the conversations time-stamped? If so then you might have a chance because Comcast would have a corresponding case log that shows that employee x spoke with you at such and such a time.

L Campanazo

I don't happen to have a perfect memory and these tapes help me remember everything I said and was told.
Of course I kept a log of date-time for the entries (a txt file and on the tape b4 the call).
They usually just give first name, but you just ask at the end for their extension number in case you want to talk to him/her again because he/she was so nice/helpful.
Comcast would know who sits in which cubicle with the specified extension number.
These are for my records, I would have to choose if I'll be sharing them with the courts. Either way, it is far better than my word alone stating a so called agreement to "reduce consumption by 30%."

LrdVader
Premium
join:2003-12-18
San Diego, CA
reply to jansm38
said by jansm38:
I'm not sure about the laws in your state but I'd have to question how well an unauthorized recording would stand up in court.

In some states, recording someone without their knowledge is a crime, so yeah, be careful. Anyone remember Linda Tripp and how much trouble she almost got in for making unauthorized recordings of phone calls?

L Campanazo

Vader:
Funny that I'm a possible criminal now... "Linda" was taping more than phonecalls of a private citizen. This face-less Oligarch does not have the same constitutional rights as a human being.

LrdVader
Premium
join:2003-12-18
San Diego, CA

1 edit
Are you sure about that? There was a human being on the other end of the call, right? Might want to check before you try to use that recording against them.

edit: typo

L Campanazo

Vader:
I didn't initially suggest to use this in court, this was jansm38's interjection.
I specifically referred to it as a source of personal reference as the human memory has its limitations. This suggestion is to improve the handling of correspondences with this coorporation (ie. forgetting is losing the correspondence.)
Comcast CS is likely taping the call and will likely NOT send you a copy of it at your request. This practice of corporations is by implied consent and sometimes they state it before you reach the CS rep.
If I called the 'human being' CS-rep at his/her home during his/her own time and taped it, I would agree w/you.
It is a suggestion, LrdVader does not have to tape anything if he does not want to.

abqcapvictim

@sandia01.nm.comcast.
reply to jansm38
GOOD JOB GUYS, I did this as soon as I got suspended for 2 days on December 7-9, letter from November 17th.

»n3rdw0p.home.comcast.net/comcast ··· buse.mp3

enjoy it, might wanna turn up the volume, as a lover of Office Space, you HAVE to love the

"are you the supervisor?" "uhhh......yeah"
Expand your moderator at work

abqcapvictim

@sandia01.nm.comcast.

Re: Document your experience with Comcast CS reps.

downloadweekly.zip 723 bytes
(weekly.html)
Here we go folks

L Campanazo

reply to L Campanazo

Further allies to advance the cause vs the Oligark

I agree with Callihn's recent posts. unless there is strong legal action against the oligarch or a mass exodus from the giant's customer base, or at least heavy PR damage, the monopoly's despicable practices will continue unabated.
I compiled the following to help out:
EFF
....... "EFF is a nonprofit group of passionate people — lawyers, volunteers, and visionaries — working to protect your digital rights.".
Chilling Effects
.......associated to EFF and many institutions of higher learning, "Do you know your online rights? Have you received a letter asking you to remove information from a Web site or to stop engaging in an activity? ...Chilling Effects aims to support lawful online activity against the chill of unwarranted legal threats...The Chilling Effects project seeks to document that "chill" and inform C&D recipients of their legal rights in response." Should be an exellent resource.
Onilne Policy
....... "The Online Policy Group (OPG) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to online policy research, outreach, and action on issues such as access, privacy, digital defamation, and the digital divide. Additionally, it focuses on Internet participants' civil liberties and human rights, like access, privacy, safety, and serving schools, libraries, disabled, elderly, youth, women, and sexual, gender, and ethnic minorities. " They should be particularly interested in this situation.
DFN
.......Another pro-user site.
"DFN acts as an information resource for individuals who need and want more information and contacts to help solve local problems. DFN acts as a point of contact for oppressed individuals around the world whose stories need to be told and publicized. DFN's focus is to "name names" so that no oppressed individual will exist in anonymity. DFN acts as a point of contact to generate awareness of such cases."
Fair.
......"FAIR, the national media watch group, has been offering well-documented criticism of media bias and censorship since 1986."
This media-watch-dog usually concentrates on the media covering foreign policy but also cover domestic situations. The lack of adequate coverage of this situation should interest them.
openairwaves
......."The mission of the Center for Public Integrity is to provide the American people with the findings of our investigations and analyses of public service, government accountability and ethics related issues." a good resource for info overall.
BBCnews
.......Let them know why you will not be suscribing to their new video streams of 256kbps and 350kbps. They are not owned by another oligarch as KnightRidder's DetroitFreePress, so they may cover the story in a fair way.

The following sound good but are not active it seems:
DFC .......
GILC ......

I'm sure there are more pro-user-sites than the above, all these contain links so feel free to reach those also.
Visit their contact page, let them know of your particular experiences, they should have open channels with the fcc, ftc, etc.
If you have time and expertice in the field, donate your time.
Good luck to everyone in this forum, especially to the recent letter-recipients.
I hope you pass these links on to your contacts, so we may spread the awareness.

abqcapvictim

@sandia01.nm.comcast.
reply to abqcapvictim

Re: Document your experience with Comcast CS reps.

bgl, only first names are mentioned, his name was Jay and mine is Vincent and my sister is Angela. There is nothing to hide here, it NEEDS to be exposed more, I e-mailed my news station but haven't heard back but I will try again. Also, www.lawsuitinformation.com is interesting and there is a lawfirm who is VERY interested in my situation and is expecting a statement from me soon. I'm not sure what exactly to state but I'd like to mention dslreports.

abqcapvictim

@sandia01.nm.comcast.
bgl, he had EVERYTHING to do with the issue, he was abuse@comcast! he was the straight to voicemail guy that everyone is suppose to talk to. btw, he didn't get my connection on that afternoon, it was 2 days later. There is no sandia nm and no vincent or angela bennet.