See post in the software forum:
»Good news for Windows 98,ME
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

3 edits

SUMware2

Premium Member

Would you believe till 30 June 2006!!! Good news for those of us keeping Win98 while migrating to Linux!

See also zdnet and The Register.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to Just Basics

MVM

to Just Basics
Thanks, good news for many!

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics
Too many people still use Windows 98 (not me) to not support it. Somehow, deep inside, I knew that this would happen! Good news for a lot of people.

muf9
Captain of the axe
Premium Member
join:2003-01-04
uk

1 edit

muf9 to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics
Happy Win ME user. Thanks for the great news.

Only one thing i'm unhappy about. Just how much software in the last 12 months has been developed omitting Windows 98 and ME compaibility. I mean would you make your software compatible with an operating system that Microsoft were no longer going to support? Bet there's plenty of XP/2000 only software that would have also been 98/ME as well.

muf

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris to Just Basics

MVM

to Just Basics
Thanks, will toddle over there shortly.

Indeed, I think I'm going to have to, because I haven't been able to get Windows Update to work on Win 98 SE in over a month and there were still critical updates that I needed!

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics
Well, guess those (especially corporate) users who were faced with the choice of

1) losing support
2) upgrading to WINxx
3) migrating to a competitive vendor's desktop platform

have a reprieve.

Maybe 3) was a factor...

EG
Jrb2
Premium Member
join:2001-08-31

Jrb2 to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
Quote from Joseph:
quote:
Indeed, I think I'm going to have to, because I haven't been able to get Windows Update to work on Win 98 SE in over a month and there were still critical updates that I needed!
Hi Joseph,
Yep, I too am wondering whether we on W 98 (SE) could now get those updates: if and when.....

Cheers, Jan.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Just checked WIN update, still works for me - WIN98 SE -

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

Actually, while windows update still works for 98, etc. - there haven't been ANY updates in quite a while. This is from the loss of support. Look forward to some in the future.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

Got it - I misunderstood "can't get" for a retrieval failure instead of nothing there to download... Been about a month since I had anything too.. except for .NET and all those multilanguage features for IE which I blew off in setting preferences.

EG

jansson_mark
Markus Jansson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Finland

jansson_mark to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics

wow!

Excellent way to do Microsoft! Really great. This will keep peoples computers atleast somewhat "not-so-insecure" in the future too!

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

1 recommendation

Bubba

MVM

You know down deep you love them Markus

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3

Re: 98/Me Support Extension!

said by whizkid3:
Actually, while windows update still works for 98, etc. - there haven't been ANY updates in quite a while. This is from the loss of support. Look forward to some in the future.
Are you referring to OS updates? I do see program updates and IE updates. Tomorrow should be a fun day for us Windows Update users.

keith2468
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Winnipeg, MB

keith2468 to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics
It sounded to me like it was just paid phone support and critical security fixes.

Critical fixes are the main thing to me, mind.

I guess it is fair that they don't keep coding extensions to enable new hardware and new software (that didn't exist until at least 6 months after the next version of windows came out).

rainallday
join:2001-04-15
Columbia, SC

rainallday to Just Basics

to Just Basics
I knew my 98se was too good to let go......this is great news.....long live 98!!!!!!(and all the fun of tweaking/fixing it):)

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris to EGeezer

MVM

to EGeezer

Windows Update Error
I wish I was so lucky.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics
Not much use to support the OS and NOT support IE on the OS. Especially not support IE5.5 which is the version that works best on 98SE. IE6, which is terrible for many on W98SE, isn't supported either. So, big deal that MS is extending support for the OS. Doesn't mean much unless they add IE. This won't help me as I cannot use IE 6 on my W98SE box. I had it and was forced to go back to IE5.5 so if MS is not going to support that then this is meaningless for me. As for those of you using IE6...well...MS discontinued support for that also on December 31, 2003 and their announcement of the continued support of W98 conspicuously left out any mention of support for IE6 on the OS. That is the support most needed. Not the OS itself.

I don't think MS did this out the goodness of their heart either. They did it most likely because of the delay in releasing Longhorn which is now expected in late 2006 at the very earliest and more likely in 2007 or 2008. MS is predicted to be changing the end of life cycle for W2000 and XP because of this delay also.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
Saw this in Technet...It was for WIN XP/2000, but looks like it might be worth checking in case you hadn't already found it.

Suggestion 4 is interesting!!! Good Ol' MS not renewing their certificate???

Problem Description:
The error 0x800A138F is displayed when scanning for updates, but the Windows Update.log file will show error 0x800C0008.

Resolutions:
This is a generic error number which indicates a problem with the SSL connection with our server.

Some customers have resolved this issue by disabling or uninstalling internet acceleration software.
--------------------
Suggestion 2
============
The error may occur because the language-setting in Internet Explorer is missing. To add a language, in Internet Explorer, select Tools-->Internet Options, and click the "Languages" button. Add a language to the list if empty.
--------------------
Suggestion 3
============
Check the system time. SSL will not function if the system time is more than 100 days off.
--------------------
Suggestion 4
============
Please uncheck "Check for server certificate revocation":

1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click on Tools
3. Click on Internet Option from the drop down menu
4. Click on the Advanced tab
5. Scroll down to the Security Section
6. Unselect "Check for server certificate revocation"
7. Reboot the machine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 5
============
One customer performed an MSN Messenger update, which fixed his 0x800c0008 Windows Update issue as well. Correlation not yet determined but an avenue to check if you have MSN Messenger installed.
--------------------

Good luck!

EG

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Already did all that, several times now.

Last good run was 4 Dec, it started failing on 5 Dec (which may be about the time I tried MSIE 6 SP1 from an MS CD).

I run Repair several times (and it seems to do something because it wants a re-boot), but beyond that it doesn't make much difference.

Oh, the secondary error code is 0x800C0002, Unfortunately, the only issue I've found related to that refers to Win 2K/XP and a key value that is simply not present in Win 98 SE (and, since the solution is to remove the key, ...)
sbkansas
Actual Example
Premium Member
join:2001-05-10
Hays, KS

sbkansas

Premium Member

Joseph, try this link for Windows Update: »v4.windowsupdate.microso ··· ault.asp

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

That's my default, as far as I can tell -- didn't work either. At the moment, I've got another Browser window open, just doing downloads from the Windows Catalog site.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics

... that IS good news ... wonder if the thought of several million vulnerable computers finally sunk in, somewhere ...

... my Windows Update has been working, just nothing there for me to update ... course, my IE6 SP1 works great with W98SE too - much better than 5.5 ... I just rarely use it anymore, even all patched up ...

... dodged another XP bullet ... ...
sbkansas
Actual Example
Premium Member
join:2001-05-10
Hays, KS

sbkansas to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
Kinda drifting off topic here, sorry!

Joseph, I was having the same problem getting to the Windows Update site, and thought it to be related to Win98. I then discovered the same thing on a XP machine. I searched the MS Forum here at BBR ('windows update') and found a thread with the link in it, clicked it and went right to the Windows Update scan page.

I have no idea why I (and you) are had/having that problem, but it must not be to widespread as you are the only other person I've seen with it.

BTW, since using the link from the MS forum, it works evrytime now.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

1 edit

jvmorris

MVM

said by sbkansas:
Kinda drifting off topic here, sorry!
Yeah, we are, but EGeezer was a bit curious about how this all worked out, so ...
quote:
. . . I have no idea why I (and you) are had/having that problem, but it must not be to widespread as you are the only other person I've seen with it. . . .
Oh, not at all! The Microsoft NNTP WindowsUpdate forum for Win98 is overrun with these things.

Luckily, one of our fine lurkers provided me with a solution. You can find what worked for me with my problem at »www.tweakxp.com/forum/fo ··· 776&PN=1 . Actually, I never had to do the registry hack at the bottom of that page.

Addendum: Left out two things:
First, never estimate the potential value of some of the people who lurk here more than post here.
Second, that page is technically for Win 2K/XP, but the lurker pointed out that it also seemed to work for Win 98 SE, so I gave it a shot and it worked for me also!
Just Basics
join:2003-06-08
Painter, VA

Just Basics to antiserious

to antiserious
"... that IS good news ... wonder if the thought of several million vulnerable computers finally sunk in, somewhere ..."

I'm sure they rethought the cost of distributing potentially millions of free Support CD's - in the long run enabling support may be more cost effective for them.

Also consider all of the positive media publicity they are now receiving - their continued support was just announced at noon on my local news and last night on national news.

I'm just very happy to see that they did the right thing!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
>Oh, the secondary error code is 0x800C0002, Unfortunately, the only issue I've found related to that refers to Win 2K/XP and a key value that is simply not present in Win 98 SE (and, since the solution is to remove the key, ...)

Lotys of us are getting that error today. If I then go and uncheck Check for Server Certificate Revocation in IE and reboot then I can connect to Microsoft's secure server. I see a lot of posts in microsoft.public.windowsupdate news group of people having the same problem.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Yeah, but I unchecked that weeks ago; didn't make any difference -- for me.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Just Basics

Premium Member

to Just Basics

Linux threat behind Microsoft reversal

»zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_ ··· 946.html

"The growing threat from Linux is responsible for Microsoft's last-minute decision to extend the life of Windows 98. Analysts say there has never been a better time to try and negotiate a deal on the company's software."

lafmart
@185-70-69.mc.videotr

lafmart to EGeezer

Anon

to EGeezer

Re: 98/Me Support Extension!

Installing 128 bits high encryption pack resolved my problem

Martin