uniqs
share rss forum feed

Byteblock

join:2004-01-12
Naperville, IL
reply to j23s3afj

Re: My experience with Comcast bandwidth suspension

I got my letter today.

Fortunately I was prepared for this and had already started keeping track of my Usenet usage. (my primary bandwidth hog)

Downloads: 180GB
Uploads: 10GB

And I do not use the old AT&T free servers, or the Giganews 1gig/mo. I have a subscription with a separate premium provider.

I'm really upset by this. I was trying to keep under the theoretical 200gb cap, and I don't upload much at all.

My roommate and I play quite a lot of online games, so it's possible to imagine another 20gb of bandwidth to push us over 200 just from gaming, but honestly I think 20gb gaming is excessive even for us.

Has anyone tried going to the PUC or perhaps contacting local civic utilities commisions? I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. I don't want to go to DSL, but I can't lower my usage anymore than this already.

LrdVader
Premium
join:2003-12-18
San Diego, CA
said by Byteblock:
And I do not use the old AT&T free servers, or the Giganews 1gig/mo. I have a subscription with a separate premium provider.

That might actually be hurting your cause. Using an outside service generates Internet traffic, whereas using Comcast's server shouldn't.

cumcast

join:2003-11-24
said by LrdVader:
said by Byteblock:

That might actually be hurting your cause. Using an outside service generates Internet traffic, whereas using Comcast's server shouldn't.

Comcast's urges you to use giganews, which is an outside source. I doubt using a premium newgroup provider matters.

J D McDorce
Premium
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI
reply to LrdVader
said by LrdVader:
You could try an experiment - run a tracert to netnews.comcast.net and see if you hit the internet.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
said by J D McDorce:
You could try an experiment - run a tracert to netnews.comcast.net and see if you hit the internet.

Well, I can't do that since I'm on RR, but you're right, it'd be an interesting test for someone on Comcast to try.

J D McDorce
Premium
Westland, MI
Oops. I guess I should have paid closer attention to your profile before my last post.

My point is that newsgroup servers, mail servers, web space, etc. are in centralized locations. To access any of these from a Comcast user's connection, one would have to access the backbone. For newsgroups, it doesn't matter if the user uses netnews.comcast.net, Giganews, or some other newsgroup provider - they still have to generate internet traffic for access.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
I'd assumed that traffic to netnews.comcast.net would be carried on Comcast's internal network, whereas Giganews would require internet bandwidth. I could easily be wrong, though.

wheelzoff

join:2001-02-14
Irving, TX
reply to Byteblock
said by Byteblock:
I'm really upset by this. I was trying to keep under the theoretical 200gb cap, and I don't upload much at all.
The theoretical cap was 100 GB not 200 GB .
--
"The Stars Win The Stanley Cup, The Stars Win The Stanley Cup", Ralph Strangis.

wheelzoff

join:2001-02-14
Irving, TX
reply to LrdVader
Huh? Downloading is downloading, it all requires internet bandiwdth , it all counts towrads the total, doesn't matter where you get it.
--
"The Stars Win The Stanley Cup, The Stars Win The Stanley Cup", Ralph Strangis.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
From the end-user perspective, yes. From the ISP's perspective, not necessarily. Downloading from a server on the ISP's internal network doesn't create external traffic that the ISP is charged for. Thus, there's a (admittedly small) chance that such bandwidth isn't counted. It all depends on which router is doing the counting, and how it's configured.

J D McDorce
Premium
Westland, MI
reply to LrdVader
said by LrdVader:
I'd assumed that traffic to netnews.comcast.net would be carried on Comcast's internal network
What internal network? Between the headend and the leased backbone access?

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
said by J D McDorce:
What internal network? Between the headend and the leased backbone access?

Well, in my case, I can trace to an RR server on the opposite coast without going outside ATDN, which is owned by Time-Warner. So it *is* possible

AKSkinz

join:2003-12-12
Tewksbury, MA
reply to LrdVader
Click for full size
Here's one....

J D McDorce
Premium
Westland, MI
Thank you

J D McDorce
Premium
Westland, MI
reply to LrdVader
TW owns its own backbone. Comcast doesn't.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA

1 edit
reply to AKSkinz
Makes sense. Looks like it *would* have been all internal when AT&T owned the service, since those are AT&T lines, but since AT&T sold off the cable modem service to Comcast, those are external as far as Comcast is concerned.

Okay, so I was half right. Better than nothing

edit: Dangit JD you beat me to it!