All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AimeeJane
join:2004-01-23

AimeeJane

Netgear RP614 BB Problems

Hi. I'm trying to split a 2meg broadband connection between 3 PCs using a netgear RP614 cable/dsl router. I am having difficulties in that the connection works fine when its plugged into the back of a single PC (ie. Directly), however when connected to the router all three PCs cannot access the internet. both the MAC addresses of the router and all three PCs are registered with the ISP but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions, tips or advice would be apprciated. Thanks.

ninersfan
join:2001-02-09
Hayward, CA

ninersfan

Well, it seems like you've got the router plugged in & set-up right for your LAN side and I would want to test & verify by accessing pc to pc. Now, on the WAN side I would bet the problem lies in your configuration on how you connect to the internet, so - - go to your router @ »192.168.0.1/index.htm

Setup > Basic Settings.

Verify the radio box setting on the question:
Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?

If your on a dsl connection with PPPoE (like me), then that selection and the proper log-on is most important.

When I initially setup mine, I couldn't connect at first and was puzzled as to the "why"....double-checked everything and subsequently determined that for my ISP the answer was as simple as how I had entered my username in the login text box.

Initially, I just had username...learned in my case it had to be username AT ISP dot COM or it wouldn't work. That may or may not be true for you but that would be my guess. If that doesn't do it you may want to find out how other users with your ISP and routers set it up...Check the specific forum here for that, should have one for most except the very smallest of ISPs.

Good LUCK and welcome to BBR!
AimeeJane

AimeeJane

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunatly my Internet connection does not require a log in. The LAN is all set up and functioning correctly as you said. If there is just one PC connected through the router it works OK but as soon as you connect a second, neither can connect.

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan

said by AimeeJane:
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunatly my Internet connection does not require a log in. The LAN is all set up and functioning correctly as you said. If there is just one PC connected through the router it works OK but as soon as you connect a second, neither can connect.

Oh ok, then that issue sounds a little different then I was reading in your first post and it may be firmware related.

First though, if I were you I would "hard-code" my DNS servers into the Basic Settings and you might want to experiment with the DHCP server settings on or off under LAN IP Setup. You may get better results here by not using the DHCP server functionality and hard-coding LAN side IPs for each of your PCs into the router AND individual NICs along with the DNS settings.
AimeeJane

AimeeJane

Could you be more sepcific in regards to what settings I should set it up to. Thanks.

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan

Typically you get your DNS servers from your ISP or they're automically "discovered" by the router on first connection so just take those that you would be currently using when connected with only one pc and plug them in as "fixed", for now.

Then under the LAN IP Setup, add your pcs in the address Reservation area... 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc. etc.

that should also already be recognized under Maintenance > Attached Devices.

i.e.,
#1 192.168.0.2 Device Name MAC address
#2 192.168.0.3 Device Name MAC address
etc., etc.

After so doing, then I would enter in my tcp/ip properties of each NIC the fixed IP address you've assigned, appropriate gateway IP--router address (192.168.0.1), Subnet Mask, and the DNS servers you are currently using.
AimeeJane

AimeeJane

Thankyou very much for all your help ill go and try this and hope that it works if not ill be back on later to let you know if it hasnt worked and see if you can help some more.
thanks again, Aimee

trodas
join:2003-05-24
Massapequa, NY

trodas to AimeeJane

to AimeeJane
Its just a simple misconfiguration
I never have such problem with my oldie RP614 and not now, with my WGR614 as well
Or, the ISP blocking the IP with user Mac address. In that case, put the Mac addy from the NIC of the PC what working into the config of RP614
(determining this is easy, just try another PC - even with same NIC, the Mac addy is different between each, so if second PC does work, the connection did not require the right Mac address... )
AimeeJane

AimeeJane

No that's not the problem, I've tried that. I think it must be the configuration settings. Anyway I'll mess with them and let you know how it goes.