uniqs
The Chef
join:2003-12-09

The Chef to McSummation

to McSummation

Re: Speedstream 5100b hardware configuration

quote:

2) Do they have router functions?
3) If it's a simple bridge with the PPPoE functions, how do we hook them up to an existing router? How is the router configured on the WAN side? I currently have a router doing my PPPoE stuff, what changes will I need to make?
4) Do they have usable line statistics capabilities?
(If this seems rambly, it's because I had a hard time

2. The device supports one and only 1 PC. It does routing only to the extent required to deliver traffic to and from that PC. No multiple PC support is included in the modem.

3. The mechanism to use with a simple router will vary based on the router. The simplest way is to configure the modem as a bridged device and let your router do the PPPoE. However this makes it hard to get back to the GUI (well not that hard, just press the reset button to get shipped defaults as there are not many parms lost by doing this).

Alternately you can have the modem still act as a DHCP server but not establish a PPPoE connection. It then issues an IP address to the router. The router still does PPPoE. This allows you to get back to the GUI by removing the router and reconnecting directly to the modem. Some routers may not like getting a private IP address or the one provided by the modem (at least not without reconfiguring the router)

Alternately you can leave it the way it is with the modem doing the PPPoE login and not the router but let the router still do NAT. The router may not like the private (or public) IP address provided by the modem (at least not without reconfiguring the router). The router may also have a problem if you use it with an auto-configuration tool as this tool might mis-autoconfigure based on the IP address type (public or private) of the modem (based on the network connection) at the time the router is auto-configured.

4. I think they are usable. Your mileage will vary. A Technician Readout page is provided which dumps out most of what the modem knows. This is in addition to some statistics on other pages. The TR page was designed for technicians and support folks so don't expect it to be pretty or for assistance on this feature as it is not a supported user feature. Knowing that users are often the best tools for identifying problems, it wasn't hidden.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l

MVM

Thank you for that info. I might have been too terse in my question. By stats, I meant at a minimum: line capacity, line noise, attenuation, and signal power readings for both up and down. Error counts would be nice to have too. Are the stats accessible when the modem is bridged (that would make them usable/accessible when a router was connected) or only when it is default mode? Thanks.

Edit: When and where will someone be able to buy a definite 5100b (not a 5100 from old inventory)?

jm8
join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

jm8

from sbc support article.

The estimated cutover date is January 23, 2004, but may occur a few days before or after January 23. Once the cutover occurs, all new or upgrading SBC Internet Members who order SBC Yahoo! DSL and want an Ethernet DSL modem will receive the EN 5100B.

As a note: New part number (060-E142-A01 versus 060-E141-A01 on the 5100A)

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

OK, by having the part number it gives us a way of determining which one it is.

jm8
join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

jm8

also if you didnt kno already the 5100b has 5 lights, the older one has 4 lights

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
Mcallen, TX

starstuff

Premium Member

What's the fifth light for?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to jm8

MVM

to jm8
Thanks for those part numbers. Ummm... The only problem is that the SBC eStore lists the 5100? as Item #12A-5100-501.
The Chef

1 edit

The Chef to starstuff

to starstuff
said by starstuff:
What's the fifth light for?

It indicates when the PPPoE session is up. So if you see the DSL light and no Internet then it probably represents one of the following: the session timed out due to a lack of LAN traffic, something interrupted the connection to the ISP or your userid/password information is wrong.

I think in the first two cases it turns off and in the last case it turns read.
The Chef

The Chef to d_l

to d_l
said by d_l:
Are the stats accessible when the modem is bridged (that would make them usable/accessible when a router was connected) or only when it is default mode? Thanks.

In general the stats are not accessible when the modem is bridged since the router would normally be taking all the traffic from the LAN side and sending it to the WAN over its own PPPoE session. Therefore any request to the modem would be intercepted by the router.

One of the values in keeping the router in a mode where it does not connect but still runs DHCP is that if you want to see the stats you could temporarily unplug your router and then plug in a PC to the modem, use the web interface to look and configure and then put your router back in.

You would not be able to see the real time information on the connection (e.g., connection speed) but would be able to see the collected stats.

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium Member
Mcallen, TX

1 edit

starstuff

Premium Member

I have my modem monitoring this parameters in bridge mode. But you'll need to do a tricky/unusual setup.

The modem will retain the IP address once bridged ( from your post at 192.168.0.1 )

You need a computer with two NIC interfaces. Setup one interface to the modem net. ie. modem is at 192.168.0.1 the NIC in the computer could be 192.168.0.5 and set a route.

The 2nd interface will be set to any address in the router net. Just make sure the two nets don't conflict with each other.

I forgot...

You also need a hub or switch between the modem and the router. Connect the NIC with the modem net to this hub/switch.

This way you can access the GUI or the SNMP ( if the B model supports it )
The Chef

The Chef

said by starstuff:

This way you can access the GUI or the SNMP ( if the B model supports it )

I do not think the unit supports SNMP.

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium Member
Mcallen, TX

starstuff

Premium Member

said by The Chef:

Too bad... version A does.
The Chef

The Chef to d_l

to d_l
said by d_l:
By stats, I meant at a minimum: line capacity, line noise, attenuation, and signal power readings for both up and down. Error counts would be nice to have too.

It appears to have the following (and more that I do not recognize):

Synchronization speed Upstream and downstream
Modulation (ANSI or G.DMT)
Data Path (Fast or Interleaved)
SN Margin (dB) Downstream
Line Attenuation (dB) Downstream
Loss of Signal Downstream
Loss of Frame Downsteam, Upstream
CRC Errors Downstream, Upstream
ATM In & Out Cells, PDUs, Frames, Octets, Errors, Unicast Packets, Non Unicast Packets, Discard Packets
Receive SNR ps
ADSL DMT Bin Bits

Alot of the information doesn't have a value but is filled with a dash because the information is not available (based on the connection conditions, not implemented, etc...).

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to The Chef

Premium Member

to The Chef
said by The Chef:

All Efficient products (Modem, Modem/Routers, etc.) support SNMP that I've seen.

I do not know about their Speedstream standalone brand though (the Routers that do not have integral ADSL Modems at »www.speedstream.com/ )

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

The 5100b doesn't seem to support snmp (at least when in bridged mode):

nmap -vvv -S 192.168.0.2 -e eth0:1 -P0 -sU -p 161-162 192.168.0.1

Starting nmap 3.50 ( »www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-02-25 22:39 PST
Host 192.168.0.1 appears to be up ... good.
Initiating UDP Scan against 192.168.0.1 at 22:39
The UDP Scan took 1 second to scan 2 ports.
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.1:
PORT STATE SERVICE
161/udp closed snmp
162/udp closed snmptrap

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.578 seconds

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

That's from the WAN side, right? (that should not normally respond for security reasons). Have you tried from the LAN side?

It also been mentioned that XML is used instead.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

No, this is from the LAN side (hence -S 192.168.0.2 which is what eth0:1 is assigned

Well, for now I'm able to get away with some perl scripting using Net::HTTP to get the statistics.htm page and parse out the attenuation and SNR which is working ok so far. It'd be nice to use SNMP directly, though
we9850
join:2004-03-23
Adkins, TX

we9850

what does the attn dl rate 192 mean????