spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Joeffis
join:2004-01-25
Mary Esther, FL

Joeffis

[FL] Terayon TJ715X Manual??

I purchased a TJ715X modem from COX. It comes with a simple users manual. It mentions that the modem has a web based configuration capability but does not say how to access it. Does anyone have a manual that shows the address or has info on how to access the configuration capability of the modem?

I did find the address 192.168.100.1. It only shows a very basic status page but has no links to the configuration/setup page.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Qumahlin

MVM

said by Joeffis:
I purchased a TJ715X modem from COX. It comes with a simple users manual. It mentions that the modem has a web based configuration capability but does not say how to access it. Does anyone have a manual that shows the address or has info on how to access the configuration capability of the modem?

I did find the address 192.168.100.1. It only shows a very basic status page but has no links to the configuration/setup page.

There is no configuration on a docsis modem. There is nothing the end user has control over.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to Joeffis

MVM

to Joeffis
The MODEM has several internal pages that tell you the values and status of items on the MODEM. As said, there is nothing to configure on the CPE side; you can look, but you cannot touch.
CompRepairKs
Repairin' Computers For Fun
join:2003-02-18
Topeka, KS

CompRepairKs to Joeffis

to Joeffis
Go to Terayon's diagnostics page and the password is icu4at! Is this the page you're talking about? On the diagnostics page, you can look at your signal levels, entry logs, etc., but you can't touch anything like Downstream Frequency. I should know because I have the same modem. I brought mines from Cox but no manual came with it. I hope this works:)

Computergeek
sgkent
join:2002-04-15
Citrus Heights, CA

sgkent to Joeffis

to Joeffis
some help here.

My elderly dad is getting Cox HSI installed on Tuesday in Northern FL. Cox said it was going to be a Terayon modem. I couldn't help but notice in this thread that the address of the modem is a 192#. This means that it isn't a modem but rather a modem-NAT firewall which will not work for us because we need to establish a VPN through it from a Linksys and double NAT won't work for what we need to do. Can this modem be turned into a bridge where the Linksys acquires the public IP instead of the Terayon? Cox has been absolutely no help at the local level as they have been trained to say like Schultz, "We know nothing. It is done automatically." This getting hooked up to COX is really becoming a nightmare and I am a network admin by trade. Thanks in advance - Steve

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

not real sure here, but if you spoof the mack of the nic to the router, it should work for ya.
sgkent
join:2002-04-15
Citrus Heights, CA

sgkent to Joeffis

to Joeffis
spoof the MAC of the Linksys WAN side you mean?

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

ya, if you spoof the linksys to the computers mac, it will pull the IP from the modem, and then you not behind 2 nats. I wasn't aware that the TJ715X had a nat, but if it dose, there will be a turn off feature in it.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to sgkent

MVM

to sgkent
said by sgkent:
I couldn't help but notice in this thread that the address of the modem is a 192#. This means that it isn't a modem but rather a modem-NAT firewall which will not work for us because we need to establish a VPN through it from a Linksys and double NAT won't work for what we need to do.
The SB internal Diagnostic page is »192.168.100.1. Those MODEM do not have a NAT firewall.

Aren't most MODEM diag page in the 192.168.100.xxx range? Am I missing something?

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
united state

1 edit

Qumahlin to Joeffis

MVM

to Joeffis
A modem using the 192.168.100.1 address for its status page does not make it a NAT/firewall. All the modem is doing is running an internal HTTP server at that address. To be exact a cable modem is classified as a transparent bridging device.
Joeffis
Mary Esther, FL

Joeffis to CompRepairKs

to CompRepairKs
Thanks for the help. The diagnostics page is what I was looking for. I noticed that another post mentions that there are NO items that can be changed on the modem but on mine it has an option to change the "Desired Downstream Frequency". Currently it is set to 657000000. Is there any advantage gained by changing this value or is it something that should be left alone?
Joeffis

Joeffis to sgkent

to sgkent
I currently use a Terayon modem with a SMC wireless router on my home network. To get things to work I had to "clone" the MAC address of the NIC on my PC. To do that I just changed the MAC address of the router to match the MAC of my PC's NIC. Now my router is identified by my PC's MAC so COX will allow the router to work on their network. Don't get too peeved at COX for not helping you set up your home network. They are in the business of making money and setting up home networks is a service that they charge money for. That is why they don't give home networking info away for free.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Irish Shark to Joeffis

MVM

to Joeffis
said by Joeffis:
I noticed that another post mentions that there are NO items that can be changed on the modem but on mine it has an option to change the "Desired Downstream Frequency". Currently it is set to 657000000. Is there any advantage gained by changing this value or is it something that should be left alone?

If that is configurable on the MODEM, then that is just plain dumb IMHO.

Cable MODEMs discover the downstream channel by searching for a data-carrying digital TV channel when they boot up, or by remembering what frequency was used last time. The MODEM uses the DS and US channels to receive and transmit on to the CMTS. Changing it will most likely cause a disconnect.

Whatever you do, just leave it alone.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
united state

Qumahlin

MVM

said by Irish Shark:
said by Joeffis:
I noticed that another post mentions that there are NO items that can be changed on the modem but on mine it has an option to change the "Desired Downstream Frequency". Currently it is set to 657000000. Is there any advantage gained by changing this value or is it something that should be left alone?

If that is configurable on the MODEM, then that is just plain dumb IMHO.

Cable MODEMs discover the downstream channel by searching for a data-carrying digital TV channel when they boot up, or by remembering what frequency was used last time. The MODEM uses the DS and US channels to receive and transmit on to the CMTS. Changing it will most likely cause a disconnect.

Whatever you do, just leave it alone.

The older firmwares and some hardware versions allow you to change the frequencies and can also choose which upstream channel on the Us frequncy to try and use. All these values can also be adjusted by SNMP. You can see pics of it at the robin walker docsdiag site.

The benefit of it was if you knew the frequency you could set it so instead of searching for it, it would automatically query that frequency first saving some time upon modem boot. The provider can also set this option in the config file.

also we use it on test beds because in certain areas we (comcast) have more then one CMTS on separate frequencies and unless you type in the frequency for the other one you won't be connected.
Cox_BEng
Premium Member
join:2002-07-26
Atlanta, GA

Cox_BEng

Premium Member

You can not access it in the TJ715
CompRepairKs
Repairin' Computers For Fun
join:2003-02-18
Topeka, KS

CompRepairKs to Joeffis

to Joeffis
Just leave the desired downstream frequency alone. If you mess with it as Irish Shark told you, you could cause disconnects and other problems. And you're welcome:)

Computergeek

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to Qumahlin

MVM

to Qumahlin
There is nothing on the Docsdiag Web Site related to this.

Can you point me?

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
united state

Qumahlin to CompRepairKs

MVM

to CompRepairKs
said by CompRepairKs:
Just leave the desired downstream frequency alone. If you mess with it as Irish Shark told you, you could cause disconnects and other problems. And you're welcome:)

Computergeek

Well if he messes with it he won't connect at all since when he applies the change it will reboot the modem and search that freq :P

Sorry shark not the docsdiag page, meant the same site, heres the link.
»homepage.ntlworld.com/ro ··· tml#upid

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

First, that is an SB and not a TJ. I have no idea what model that is, but it looks like the European version. You will not see that page with anything configurable on it with any SB used in the USA.
--------
Any who, it is OBE as the TJ is locked.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
united state

3 edits

Qumahlin

MVM

said by Irish Shark:
First, that is an SB and not a TJ. I have no idea what model that is, but it looks like the European version. You will not see that page with anything configurable on it with any SB used in the USA.
--------
Any who, it is OBE as the TJ is locked.

It's not the europeon version, it just so happens since he is in europe he automatically has the scan plan set to europe click the drop down box and you can set it to north american

You do see such modems in the US as I have one sitting in front of me :P I can let the modem sync to our normal system, or I can type in the other frequency manually and let it sync to the test bed. Or I can simply use the test bed config file which has the downstream frequency set so that once the modem downloads the config, it resets and goes to the config listed frequency to resync

I didn't notice the poster mentioned his was a TJ but I wouldn't be surprised if other modems has the ability as it most likely can be enabled/disabled such as in the SB's

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

You mention "test bed". Is it enabled for testing?

On Comcast, the "regular" users have the ability to play with the settings?

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
united state

Qumahlin

MVM

said by Irish Shark:
You mention "test bed". Is it enabled for testing?

On Comcast, the "regular" users have the ability to play with the settings?

The regular users who have older modems can if they so wish (I believe the 2100's have the drop down's accessible by default.), it's pretty useless to them. They could also play with them via SNMP if they know what they are doing. As I said there is nothing they can really effect other then their own connectivity. Even if they were in a test area and knew the 2nd cmts's freq they would still need to be part of the listing of macs allowed to connect to it, otherwise it will sync and then drop them.
Joeffis
Mary Esther, FL

Joeffis to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark

TJ715X DS Freq Page
Here is the screenshot of the "Desired Downstream Frequency" page on my Terayon TJ715X modem.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

said by Joeffis:
Here is the screenshot of the "Desired Downstream Frequency" page on my Terayon TJ715X modem.

Resetting the "desired downstream frequency" is not actually all that useful for the end user

The modem will still "hunt" for the right downstream frequency and there is only one correct one.

Most manufacturers allow you set this in the event that the modem cannot get it's downstream because there is more than one available (an overlay of multiple DOCSIS networks) and the modem is locking onto the wrong network.

In the case of Cox networks this does not apply. The only thing you will get by setting this is faster negotiations as the modem doesn't have to 'hunt' to that frequency, but in the case where a modem has already locked in, it should have that set next time it boots up.

So, the only thing you will gain by attempting to change this setting is the chance to wait for the modem to hunt back to that frequency so it can connect up