Search similar:

uniqs

flarn
No Logic Left
join:2001-02-10
North Richland Hills, TX

flarn

MSNP32.dll problem...

When my computer starts I get an error saying that windows can not find the file msnp32.dll and that microsoft networking will not work.

I got the file off of the Win98 SE CD, but I do not know where to put it. Where should I put it?

How can I solve this??

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

File belongs in the windows/system directory.

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to flarn

MVM

to flarn
Network provider for Microsoft networks

Check out this:
»support.microsoft.com/su ··· 4/31.ASP

flarn
No Logic Left
North Richland Hills, TX

flarn

Click for full size
I put the file in the system folder and then I did what your link said to do, R2. But then I got this error when i did the "regsvr32 msnp32.dll" command in the run box.
This is what the dialog box looks like that I get.

Any ideas how to get by this?

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Oh, boy. Couldn't you give us an easy problem?;)

Let's see. What version of msnp32.dll are you trying to install and what version of Win98 do you have -- Win98SE?

Strangely, here is the list of the versions of that file that MS admits to. However, the version that I have right now on my computer is 4.10.2000 -- and that version is NOT even listed!!

Here is the MS interpretation of that error message:

LoadLibrary("Dllname") failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000002

From Winerror.h, 0x00000002 = 2 (ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND), which means "The system cannot find the file specified." In other words, a dependent DLL was not found. For example, typing regsvr32 icwdial.dll with Tapi32.dll (a dependency) missing, returns this error message.
So as best I can tell, ANOTHER dependent DLL was not located...

How did your computer develop this situation?

flarn
No Logic Left
North Richland Hills, TX

flarn

Long story short: I put in a new mobo and cpu and then it said my old 4GB HD was bad (windows was on that), so I took out that HD and made my new 20GB HD the boot disk and installed windows on it (I was going to get rid of that 4GB HD anyways). Ever since windows was installed I have had this problem. This is the first time windows has been on this HD. I am wondering if I reinstall windows if that will solve the problem.

It is version 4.10.2222

onavi
join:2000-09-21
Porter Ranch, CA

onavi

I would think a reinsatll of windows would do the trick. Just make sure you format the drive first, or at least delete Windows 100%. that can be tricky. And look at it this way, it only takes about an hour to install windows, so it might say you a headache or two in the long run.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao to flarn

Premium Member

to flarn
I would at least first attempt to unregister the .dll file with the /U switch and then reregister that file, might work....

Good luck,

Mike

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

That might work, but it appears from the error message (at least the way I read it) that there is at least one other missing dll. It sounds like a reinstall of windows is your best bet. Perhaps an 'overlay' reinstall is all that is needed...

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

R2: Thanks for pointing that out, I had add a little comprehension to my view of the thread and now I see this differently. I concur with your assessment, sorry to use a brute force butt in...

Cheers,

Mike

flarn
No Logic Left
North Richland Hills, TX

flarn

I am going to try the "overlay" reinstall of windows b/c I just had to do the fresh install where I formatted my hard drive and I am not up for doing that again at the moment.
flarn

flarn

I solced the problem....I installed IE 5.5, I had 5.1, and now I have my network neighborhood and no error when windows starts up. I'm glad I did that before reinstalling windows.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Somehow those .dll's must have gotten messed up and out of place. Glad you're back up and running!
[text was edited by author 2001-06-07 21:21:17]