uniqs
share rss forum feed

kmac1
Off in new directions
Premium
join:2001-06-07
Port Neches, TX

[request] Switch to view oldest IMs first

I know this wouldn't be attractive to everyone, but to someone like myself, who get 100+ IMs a day, it would be invaluable.

Just something, maybe in Preferences, that let's a user switch how the IMs are viewed up top. That way the oldest stay visible as newer ones come in.

Ken
--
Put your spare CPU cycles to WORK! Join the BBR DC Teams and join in on helping helping find ET or cures for diseases. SETI and Team Helix. Join in on the fun!

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3

Re: Switch to view oldest IMs first

*sign* this could come in handy.

kmac1
Off in new directions
Premium
Port Neches, TX
reply to kmac1
As a sidenote, this is not the same as showing the IMs from oldest first in the housekeeping portion. I'm referring to how they're viewed of top.

Ol Drippy
RIP,,, FRIEND
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Grand Island, NE
kudos:7
reply to kmac1
**SIGN** - To be able to have the option to how you would like to view your PMs.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to kmac1
**Sign**

I can see where this would be useful, especially for the on-line support techs (whom I've contacted on more than one occasion ).
--
Bad command or file name. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaaay...

razorbackjac
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-6
join:2000-11-19
NE Texas
reply to kmac1
I agree, it would be good to have an option of oldest first or newest first, kind of like the different views of your favorite forums. Good idea.
--
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

AmeritecTech
Change we can believe in, 1922
Premium
join:2002-09-06
Houston, TX
kudos:6
reply to kmac1
*SIGN* Would be an invaluable option for someone who receives many IM's.

Matthew
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-03
Emmett, ID
reply to kmac1
**SIGN** Please yes, thank you for posting this Ken. Been on my mind to reuqest something similar and probably for the same reasons that you are asking. Especially the order in which they appear at the top of screeen (seems like newest unread IMs are furthest to the left).
--
It truly is the lowest level where we ALL make the difference.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to kmac1
*sign*

Searching posts will be easier

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to kmac1
*sign*

A valuable feature

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to kmac1
*sign*
you must delete all your im's then. if i used it, i would see the same ones all the time
I dont delete mine very often.
--
Blog
Need an avatar?

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to kmac1
*sign* the work you guys do is invaluable to all of us. I support anything that will aid in the completion of the work load that you take on graciously:):)

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
*sign*

There have been only a couple of times I've faced an IM storm where this would have been helpful, but for anyone who gets a lot of traffic, this would be an invaluable feature.

MrFixitCT
pay it forward
Premium,VIP,ExMod 2001-06
join:2000-12-01
Charleston, SC
reply to kmac1
I could see where this would be a good thing too!

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to kmac1
*sign*

i can see how this would be good.

drainbamage

join:2000-10-30
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to kmac1
I agree completely

stltech

join:2002-01-27
Florissant, MO
reply to kmac1
*Sign*

If it helps our official support, I am for it!
--
are we having fun yet?

satasi
2nd Little Angel
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-04
San Antonio, TX
reply to kmac1
**SIGN** Good Idea.

KAIFS
V I P
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-11
CHEEEESE WI
reply to kmac1
all for it

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to kmac1
Sounds to me like you need something more than just a IM feature.

Sounds like you need a Queue.....
--
"When you're right, nobody remembers, and when you're wrong, nobody forgets"

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to kmac1
said by kmac1:
to someone like myself, who get 100+ IMs a day, it would be invaluable.
I know what you mean. It would be quite handy, and would actually help avoid having IM's getting lost in the shuffle when we mean to reply to them.

*sign*
--
from a broken hill

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
You all know what's going to happen, though, if this is adopted... folks are going to request the ability to sort their IMs anyway they want... I, personally like the newest on top... I've already seen the other ones, why should I have to scroll through all those just to see the latest one. Fortunately, I never have that many to deal with so it's not that big an issue for me... I suppose if I had a lot, though, I'd be annoyed. I can see advantages to both layouts... I would *sign* to being able to sort... but I have to *object* to just reversing the order. Not that it's that big a deal for me, either way. Just a personal preference... I sort my e-mails the same way... descending by date/time rec'd.

Consider this, too... by ordering them oldest to newest, any that you "kept" would have to be scrolled through everytime you checked them, because they would be the "oldest" before too long. I think most folks would find that terribly annoying.

As I said, I can see the advantage for someone who gets multitudes of IM's... but I would venture to guess that the majority of users get only a few each day. Having the ability to sort by date/time received would be the ideal situation in my opinion.
--
41º 19’ 6.4” N - 80º 43’ 21.8” W

CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-17
Baxter, KY
*sign*

If necessary for users like Pacrat, make this a user preference. I know Justin can program it to separate Kept IMs or make it an option to not view KEPT IMs with normal IMs for those who actually keep a lot.

Currently I have over 3800 IMs. To some (Ken may have had me beat) this is a fair amount, to me it's hard to sort.

Having a feature to see all the oldest requests first is nice, like a queue we try to do "first come, first serve" however it is easy to lose track of someone or whatnot.

The last IM feature (clicking on IMs button and going to page without reading all new IMs) is nice and keeps me from sorting as much. I still have to agree with Ken on this though.

I'd like to see this for primary view of IM page and on top of the page as Ken suggested. Currently it is newest on the left at top, having an option to make oldest to the left or even certain users (memebers of the support team in my case) appear to the left in front of everyone...

Anyways just throwing ideas...

*sign*
--
Thank you for choosing SBC Internet Services. My name is Rick. How may I help you today?

meeow
I'm a little spacey
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-20
Portland, OR
reply to kmac1
*sign*

kmac1
Off in new directions
Premium
Port Neches, TX
reply to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:
Consider this, too... by ordering them oldest to newest, any that you "kept" would have to be scrolled through everytime you checked them, because they would be the "oldest" before too long. I think most folks would find that terribly annoying.
This is only concerning the unread IMs that appear at the top of the page. The ability to change the order of all IMs is already available.
--
Put your spare CPU cycles to WORK! Join the BBR DC Teams and join in on helping helping find ET or cures for diseases. SETI and Team Helix. Join in on the fun!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I'm afraid that I did, in fact, misunderstand your request.

I've never run into the situation you reference, consequently, I was unaware of the problem you described. I guess I do have to ask... if you have 100's of IMs listed at the top of the page, what else is displayed on the bottom two inches of the screen? )

I'm kidding, of course... I did misinterpret the request.

I'm *neutral*... it wouldn't bother me one way or the other.
--
41º 19’ 6.4” N - 80º 43’ 21.8” W

CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-17
Baxter, KY
said by Pacrat:
I'm afraid that I did, in fact, misunderstand your request.

I've never run into the situation you reference, consequently, I was unaware of the problem you described. I guess I do have to ask... if you have 100's of IMs listed at the top of the page, what else is displayed on the bottom two inches of the screen? )

I'm kidding, of course... I did misinterpret the request.

I'm *neutral*... it wouldn't bother me one way or the other.

Just in case your serious on what we see, it cuts off after about 6 or 7 IMs. When we click it, it disappears the next one moves in.

Because of this your shooting in the middle out or from the beginning to the end...reversing the order it should be.
--
Thank you for choosing SBC Internet Services. My name is Rick. How may I help you today?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to kmac1
Sign...

After ken explained a bit yesterday...

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP