spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Completely Amazing

@216.127.x.x
reply to buonadomenic

Re: 5260 Modem - flashing green DSL light???

It's amazing that so many people don't know how to use the web these days. Did you Google for "upgrade.img", did you try the web archive and search for saved pages from the website being archived since i-hacked is gone now?

What's this file?

»web.archive.org/web/200201062136···rade.img

I wonder???

buonadomenic

join:2000-11-13
Honolulu, HI

Re: 5260 > 5660

thank you for the link. Please don't assume that all people are experts in web resarch.

I donwloaded the file but I can't load it into the 5260.

I have setup Serv-U FTP with a 10.0.0.2 IP and the home directory is c:\5660 - when I try to load the firmware I get the following error.

Command-> firmware
Server IP: 10.0.0.2
User Name: xyz
Password: ***
Filename: upgrade.img
File could not be downloaded
Command->

It seems that I have setup the server correctly since when I try to load the new 5660.img directly without any hex editing I get the following:
Error: image platform [0x3] expecting [0x5]
File could not be downloaded.

so this tells me that I have setup the server correctly?

Still no clue on how to hex edit the new firmware as I can't find the entries 0xe0 and the check sum at 0xfc.

thanks
BD

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

2 edits
said by buonadomenic:
when I try to load the firmware I get the following error.

Command->

It seems that I have setup the server correctly since when I try to load the new 5660.img directly without any hex editing I get the following:
Error: image platform [0x3] expecting [0x5]
File could not be downloaded.

so this tells me that I have setup the server correctly?

I see the same error on both attempts and it makes me think that either you don't have Serv-U setup right or that you should rename the upgrade.img to 5660.img and try again. Both files are in the same C:\5660 folder and that is the home folder for Serv-U, correct?

Try this.... Temporarily rename 5660.img to 5660.new and then rename upgrade.img to 5660.img

Check to see how much memory you have:
»The Unofficial SpeedStream 5260 ---> 5660 FAQ »How do I check how much memory my modem has?

You must have at least 1.5 Megs free.

Make sure you are in Half Duplex mode in the 5260/5660 and the Ethernet card plus that you are directly connected to the 5260/5660.

Unplug the 5260/5660 from the phone line before starting the process again.

I fixed the links in the Forum FAQ below after finding 2 of the 5 missing Firmwares. Make sure you have 2.3.0(7) as the only unaltered Firmware and make sure you flash it as the second flash after the first flash is successful. If you have any 2.2.X Firmwares you should delete them as they are not worth keeping due to the downloads freezing bug among others that were fixed with the release of the 2.3.X Firmwares.

»Efficient Networks Forum FAQ »Is there a list of available 5660 Firmwares?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

3 edits
reply to Completely Amazing

Re: 5260 Modem - flashing green DSL light???

said by Completely Amazing:
the web archive and search for saved pages from the website being archived since i-hacked is gone now?

What's this file?

»web.archive.org/web/200201062136···rade.img

This file is sadly corrupted by the archive process, otherwise it's a great tip. Zipped files are usually OK, but for some reason other files get truncated at the Archive. It will not work due to missing two "00" at the very end unless you hex edit it.

To repair it, just open the file in a hex editor and add the two missing "00" (minus the quotes) at the end, save the changes and it will be correct.

To verify you fixed it, get Quick SFV (version 222 at bottom of this page »www.smr-usenet.com/software/misc.shtml) and create an SFV file for the edited file. Then open the SFV file in Notepad and it should show inside:

; 1236028 17:15.00 20XX-XX-XX upgrade.img
upgrade.img B2813581
The bold line should match if you fixed it.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

chegitz

join:2004-02-21
reply to Completely Amazing
What's this file?

Which version is this?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by chegitz:
What's this file?

Which version is this?
Read the »The Unofficial SpeedStream 5260 ---> 5660 FAQ as there is only one file with that name. Or open it in a hex editor as the version is listed in the file header.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

chegitz

join:2004-02-21
reply to Doctor Olds

Re: 5260 > 5660

I'm having a similar problem to bounadomenica. I can ping my machine, but I can't download the hexeditted file.

I think I have Serv-U set up correctly. I renamed the files. How do I tell what my mode is.

BTW, I think I have a small memory 5260.

I'm playing with firmware 2.3.0(7)

Command-> firmware
Server IP: 10.0.0.2
User Name: marc
Password: *****
Command->

adsldude
Premium,Ex-Mod 2003-9
join:2000-11-10
Colorado
kudos:1
reply to Doctor Olds

(topic move) 5260 Modem - flashing green DSL light???

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »5260 - 5660 Upgrade