how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dslsytech

join:2003-09-25
Newton, AL

[Satellite] Direct tv or Dish, No Credit Card

I live in the boonies and no cable is avail. I am thinking of getting satellite but direct and dish require good credit, which I have none, or a major credit card, which I dont have. Dish does have a plan but you have to buy a dish for 150.00 and pay 2 months in advance. Anyone know my options so I dont have to spend 200.00 just to watch some tv?

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 edit

Dish has a "Free for all" offer here, »www.dishnetwork.com/content/getd···ex.shtml. You pay for the equipment up-front therefore they shouldn't need a credit card number. That's normally needed in case you cancel service before completing the contract term you agreed to (in order to get free equipment). This way, they charge you for the "free" receivers, dish, installation as the penalty for breaking your end of the contract.

Try the online sign-up and if it gets to a point where it asks for a credit card number, just leave the site....

Just checked the offer's terms and conditions here, »www.dishnetwork.com/content/getD···ex.shtml, and see nothing about a credit card being required. Their DHA plan, on the other hand, does require a credit card. They state "You must provide a Social Security Number and valid major credit card." Why ?? Because they "give" you the equipment for "free".

dslsytech

Newton, AL
reply to dslsytech

Thats what I looked into 150 for the dish and 2 months in advance. Its too much for me. Can I buy a used dish and activate it that way?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

You *should* be able to buy used equipment and not need a credit card number. My brother-in-law told me that's what he did.... I believe they'll charge you a small fee, $20 ??, to *activate* each receiver though, i.e. mail you a new smartcard.

Ben677

join:2000-07-08
Monroe, GA
reply to dslsytech

Be careful about buying used receivers. If the account that they were on has a balance or was written off they(Dish or Direct) won't activate the unit.

--
P4 2.4c@3.4,P4P800,512meg hyperx pc3500,256megPNY FX5600,SBlive,2x36G WD Raptors raid0,18.1" Sunmicrosytems LCD, yada,yada

dslsytech

Newton, AL
reply to dslsytech

Thats what I was worried bout, anyone know how to get a free dish without a credit card?

fabero74

join:2003-03-28
Groton, CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

Get yourself a checking account and a debit card (with Visa or Mastercard logo of course) to go with it, if you are able. Should be free from most credit unions, maybe a fee from regular bank, at least thats how it is around here.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to dslsytech

said by dslsytech:
...but direct and dish require good credit, which I have none
I missed that comment originally. Do you have *no* credit or *bad* credit ?? There's a bit of a difference...

The suggestion about a checking account with a debit card, with a Mastercard or Visa logo, is a good one. It won't build credit though. The credit union is a good suggestion too... While you're at it, inquire about a real Mastercard or Visa in person. Emphasis that you'd like one but you want a very low credit limit, say $250. That will keep you out of trouble for one. Problem is, as I understand it, if you charge $100 on it and pay it off in full each month, you don't really build credit that way.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to dslsytech

You can find many basic systems on EBay. I would go that route. Ask the seller before hand what the serial numbers are and then call up Dish Network. They can tell you if the receiver has a clear balance or a balance due. Then all you have to worry about is whether you get something that works (insert standard EBay disclaimer here). Many retailers pawn off their older equipment from upgrades this way so just look around for a while.

You might also ask around at some of your local dealer/installers. Don't ask at the kiosk type places as they are nothing more then a sales drone. You'll have to find an actual shop that does the installations. They might have some older used equipment that you can get without a commitment/cc requirement.

what type of a setup are you looking for? 1 room or 2? A good quality DP Dish 500 twin dish/LNB will cost around $50+on EBay shipped. Toss in a 301 receiver for $40-50 and you've already spent $100 and it's not installed. Adding in the extra wire, grounding, a mast (if necessary) and you're not going to be too far off from $150 anyways. With the Dish FFA program, you get back $10 or $20 monthly credits to pay you back your initial costs...plus you get free install.

If you want a basic setup, send me a private message. I recently got a SuperDish upgrade and purchased a DVR so I have an extra dish and receiver or two that I could be interested in selling. It's a Dish 500, but since your DMA is 171, I doubt that you'll be getting locals any time real soon.

dslsytech

Newton, AL
reply to dslsytech

there is a direct tv sateliite in the yard on a mount and looks like the house is already wired for it, so im looking for direct tv if possible.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Not to steer you away from Dish, but you can often use a "DirecTV" dish for Dish Networks too. Just point it at a different satellite.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to dslsytech

Is your credit so bad you don't even have a bank account... most will do electronic transfer/Debit card transaction.... though if there are billing difficulties your protections are far less than with a real CC.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

gomer1701ems

join:2001-08-23
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Hall

said by Hall:
Problem is, as I understand it, if you charge $100 on it and pay it off in full each month, you don't really build credit that way.
I believe if you charge $100, and pay off $50 the first month and $50 the next month, then it goes towards your credit. But I could be wrong.

/off_topic
--
"This is beginning to look like a Raisin Bran commercial; two scoops of fruit!"