spc
uniqs

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

POLL: Ad/Cookies/Etc Blocking Applications/Tools

Granted, this poll takes in all the applications, so if you only, for example, use PopKi and nothing else, please select that. If you use PopKi and WebWasher simultaneously, please select WebWasher since it handles "more" features (on the basis of "rounding-up"). However, if you use PopKi and Cookie Jar, please select one and post about both.

These applications are based on "real time" filtering. I'm not including any applications that function upon browser shut-down.

Some single function products are listed, but not all. If something is not listed and you check Other, please list the product name with a link to it.

Thanks for your time.
Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell

Yes, don't mind me... I forgot to actually include Other.

N9ZN
Security Is A Community Effort
join:2001-03-29
Tampa, FL

N9ZN to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
Answer = NONE

Each to their own but they really don't bother me.

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra

join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

Starfish to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
Other...sorry

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
Of course, you know what I use, but just for the sake of discussion ---

I checked Hosts, but I also use CookieWall for my Cookies and I have an "Other" -- since I have an advanced and rather complicated "Zone" scheme to block many other "badness" out there -- such as ActiveX, Java, and Scripting.

Hutchy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-14
australia430

Hutchy

Premium Member

I use Naviscope for Ads & Pop ups and Cookie Pal for Cookies. I wish i could Vote twice.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
I recently installed ad-subtractCE, that was bundled with ZAPro upgrade. That worked pretty good, though I haven't spent too much time playing. Then, I went ahead and upgraded to Adsubtract Pro, which has even more toys. I'll figure it out soon, and post my observations, at a later date.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
OK. Poll or no poll, I can't play. I use PopKi, CookieWall, Hosts, and all of the settings I am able to control cookies, etc. How can I choose just one? Impossible!

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

said by jaykaykay:
OK. Poll or no poll, I can't play. I use PopKi, CookieWall, Hosts, and all of the settings I am able to control cookies, etc. How can I choose just one? Impossible!
I struggled with that same question developing the poll, that is why I left out options like Other. Like I said in an IM, we'll just have to see how this poll plays out in the replies, and determine how and if required, to write updated polls on matter covering cookies alone, etc. So until those polls come out, lets see how this thread is borne.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I'll have to say other since I use AtGuard, but NIS assimilated this technology into their own. So that's what I voted for.

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
Z-X sence you turn me on to Proxomitron in conjunction of my Host file already in place. Things are much smoother it seems. Thanks for the tip #1 and cool poll.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
Started out with ad-subtract and was quite happy with it's limited abilities. I then started to use it in conjunction with ActivePrivacy (cookie blocker). And the two did pretty good since I really wasn't much to worry about the occasional ad getting through.

However, Wheelert's recent encounter with the new style ads
got me a little hot under the collar over what these buggers in the adworld are doing and I became convinced that what was needed was a program that gave me the freedom to specifically define filters capable of targetting each and every piece of coding that is passed into my machine from a web site.

Along came ZX's many postings regarding Proximitron.
A few reads, I became so convinced that this is the app that I ran ten miles through snow, hail, and tornados to the nearest mouseclick on my system and downloaded it.

So Chalk up a BIG vote for Proximitron, I love this program.

(mumbles. . . now I just gotta figure out to use the full potential of its power)

bangaroo
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13

bangaroo to Zhen-Xjell

Premium Member

to Zhen-Xjell
None here.
Turn off ActiveX, Scripting, Java, Animations and no more pop-ups. Ads don't bother me, pop-ups do.

Bugnosis doesn't belong in the same class as all the other programs on the list.
It doesn't block anything.
It just reports suspicious graphics on a web page.

Rocktagon
Slightly Bent
Premium Member
join:2000-11-04
Chattaroy, WA

Rocktagon to Zhen-Xjell

Premium Member

to Zhen-Xjell
I chose HOSTS as that was the only option I do use. My main filter is AtGuard, and I must say it is fantastic. To bad Norton turned it into bloatware.
I put Bugnosis on today, and don't believe it has a place in this poll due to the fact it does nothing more than attempt to notify you of "possible" privacy threats. It is a good idea and I am sure they will add more features in the future.

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
join:1999-08-20
Portland, OR

meeow to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
I selected Popki but use Cookie Pal too!
Popki is my favorite app. but I couldn't surf without both!

tup
Premium Member
join:2001-01-15
Port Elgin, ON

tup to Zhen-Xjell

Premium Member

to Zhen-Xjell
I voted Host and Cookie Wall. But...without Hostess for convenience and eDexter, I might use something else so they are important adjuncts. Also, I use Pop-up Stopper.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
The third choice down, is that for people who are SERIOUS about staying single? (WedWasher)

I just downloaded Proxomitron, guess I'll check it out now.
floydhig
Premium Member
join:2000-03-08
Ludington, MI

floydhig to Zhen-Xjell

Premium Member

to Zhen-Xjell
I voted for hosts. I also use cookiewall, POW and restricted sites. Tried AdSubtract, Naviscope, Junkbuster, Popki and AdDelete...I was going for simple security. hah

corebreach1
join:2001-01-24
Oakland, CA

corebreach1 to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
I can't believe I'm the only one using junkbuster.:) I started using junkbuster before alot of the newer ad/cookie blockers became available. Also it's the only ad/cookie blocker, that I know of, that's available for Linux. With junkbuster I can share the blockfiles and cookiefiles between Linux and Win98.

I'm also testing proxomitron on account of Zhen-Xjell's review. So far proxo has performed very well. The other bonus with proxo is that it can be installed without an installer. Finally we have an excellent program that doesn't scatter debris all over the place.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

I plan on having my reviews in by tomorrow for JunkBuster and a second run on AdSubtract CE. But I just noticed, who voted GuideScope? I just learned of this application today in preparing for the poll, and it looked pretty interesting. Would you be so kind as to share your thoughts and experience on GuideScope with us?

Much appreciated everyone, thanks for voting. I didn't expect to see such a distribution thus far. But then again, we're only in the high 30s.

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind

Gizmo to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
Sorry, none of the above!!

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

If you use none of the above, do you do NOTHING for security?

Actually, I think the "WedWasher" is for when us married guys go out together on Saturday night!;) Who, me married?? Nah!

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Zhen-Xjell

Premium Member

to Zhen-Xjell
Just to point out that AdSubtract uses the same code used by Proximitron. At least the newest Pro version does. It is extremely configurable but you do have to go through their proxy. If Proximitron proves to be taking too much of your time understanding, AdSubtract can almost do the same thing with a much easier interface.

Although with the excellent information provided by a certain rascally rabbit, Proximitron should not be to difficult to master.

Lucif4
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12

Lucif4 to Zhen-Xjell

Premium Member

to Zhen-Xjell
-->Other

I use Hosts, CookiePal, and AdsOff!
I think that using all of the above makes my computer a little more safe.

Blue_jay3
join:2001-03-10
Austin, TX

Blue_jay3 to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell

Re: POLL: Ad/Cookies/Etc Blocking Applications/Tools

None. I just live with the ads.

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON

Wildcatboy to Zhen-Xjell

Mod

to Zhen-Xjell

I use a Hosts file combined with a tight IE setting and a hosts file and that's that. Oh did I mention I use a hosts file with it? As for those Cookie crusher apps and ad killers, I haven't used any of them and I may indeed like them if I do, but I'm not planning to do so as personally I haven't felt the need for them and things are going well with my hosts file. Just in case you don't know, I use a hosts file.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

If you always know where you are going and have been there before this works great. Some sites demand the use of cookies, others have small javascript applications. Sometimes these are not used nefariously and actually enhance the entertainment value. But you would not be aware of this with your current internet settings.

[text was edited by author 2001-06-08 23:51:19]

Axilla
Finger, Finger

join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI

Axilla to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
none for me, i got mad clicking ski11z

wiregauze
join:2001-04-17

wiregauze to Zhen-Xjell

to Zhen-Xjell
On win2k, I started with AdSubtract about quite a while ago, and then I dumped it due to mysterious crashes, and switched to WebWasher. Recently, I switched to Proxomitron. I'm more than happy with it now

On Linux, I started with Guidescope. But it was kind of slow. I believe it works through remote proxy -- guidescope server. And, you've got to trust them not to track your surfing behavior. Now, I'm with Internet Junkbuster (hey corebreach, you are not the only one here )

Now... after voting for Proxomitron, can I vote for IJB, too?

-- wiregauze

corebreach1
join:2001-01-24
Oakland, CA

corebreach1

said by wiregauze:

On Linux, I started with Guidescope. But it was kind of slow. I believe it works through remote proxy -- guidescope server. And, you've got to trust them not to track your surfing behavior. Now, I'm with Internet Junkbuster (hey corebreach, you are not the only one here )

Now... after voting for Proxomitron, can I vote for IJB, too?

-- wiregauze
YESSSSS, another IJB user.:):)

Vote IJB. C'mon wiregauze vote for IJB. Proxomitron is great for Win9x but it don't work with Linux:)
[text was edited by author 2001-06-09 02:02:26]