how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HiSpeeDGaMeR

join:2003-04-17
San Francisco, CA

Does Comcast provide Dial-up?

Hi I was just wondering if my comcast cable internet were to be down, do I get dial up service from Comcast? Any replies would be deeply appreciated!

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state
Nope.

Cranky1
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Spring City, PA
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
I was down for a period of time. The rep suggested that I get a Net Zero Acct...lol

Dave

vizionblind

join:2002-01-19
Bealeton, VA
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
they USED to I think

oldTDNickell5
Premium
join:2000-12-19
Federal Way, WA
reply to Cranky1
Hi.I know they have had some problems down there in S.F. but they will get it right soon i hope.I see you have the pro package.I would downgrade to regular unless you need the 386 upload speed.And no on the dialup.
--
Terry D.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
united state
reply to Cranky1
said by Cranky1:
I was down for a period of time. The rep suggested that I get a Net Zero Acct...lol

Dave

Yup, thats actually standard procedure
--
Forum Posts:4004

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
i just use a cheap local dial-up isp for backup.
--
" For Frodo!"Aragorn

oldTDNickell5
Premium
Federal Way, WA
I have had such few problems in the last three years,i removed my 56k modem and gave it away.Don't need a backup.
--
Terry D.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
Comcast does not offer dial-up, but netzero/juno offers a free plan which comes in particularly handy when you are out of town/comcast is having problems.

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
said by Nerdtalker:
Comcast does not offer dial-up, but netzero/juno offers a free plan which comes in particularly handy when you are out of town/comcast is having problems.

when i'm outta down i just use Tmobile's Hotspots:)
--
" For Frodo!"Aragorn

jansm38
Vn800-B
Premium
join:2003-05-19
Blackwood, NJ
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
said by HiSpeeDGaMeR:
Hi I was just wondering if my comcast cable internet were to be down, do I get dial up service from Comcast? Any replies would be deeply appreciated!

That question always cracks me up everytime someone asks.

Do dial-up ISP's offer a broadband backup if the phone lines go down?

LrdVader
Premium
join:2003-12-18
San Diego, CA
said by jansm38:

Given that several major broadband ISPs (RR, Earthlink, AOL, and SBC, just off the top of my head) *do* provide dialup backup, I think it's a perfectly reasonable question.

jansm38
Vn800-B
Premium
join:2003-05-19
Blackwood, NJ
said by LrdVader:
said by jansm38:

Given that several major broadband ISPs (RR, Earthlink, AOL, and SBC, just off the top of my head) *do* provide dialup backup, I think it's a perfectly reasonable question.

But aren't they (with the exception of RR) dial-up ISP's to begin with?
With my company we provide a free dial-up with every DSL account, but that's because we're also a Dial-up ISP.
For Comcast to provide dial-up they'd have to maintain modem pools or have an interconnection agreement with another ISP, not very cost effective.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
said by jansm38:
But aren't they (with the exception of RR) dial-up ISP's to begin with?

Ok, you have a point

oldTDNickell5
Premium
Federal Way, WA
reply to jansm38
I have had a down time of maybe four hours in three years that i can think of when the whole cable went out.
--
Terry D.

ryanmcv

join:2001-10-14
Phoenix, AZ
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
Ya just sign up for a free Juno/NetZero account. You get 10 hours of dial-up access each month. »www.juno.com/

pantani101

join:2003-04-12
Camp Hill, PA
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
We are trying out a pay as you go ISP called »budgetdialup.com. The cost of 10 hours per year is on sale for $3.95. No need to have a credit card on file. You can use PayPal to cover the cost.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
Yes, but Paypal demands direct access to your bank account. That, to me, is far more intrusive than giving someone my credit card number, and is the main reason I don't have a Paypal account and don't foresee having one anytime soon.

tymfdc

join:2003-06-19
San Leandro, CA
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
I asked this question before. You can always ask one of your buddies that have sbc/dsl to get you a temporary free dial up account.

jdmatl

join:2000-04-27
Deerfield Beach, FL
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
I just signed up for the, no monthly charges plan. $9.95 one time signup fee. No monthly charges

»www.pghconnect.com/dialup_services.asp

Looks like these guys have dialup in every major city.

Pittsburgh Connect Dial-up Services offer reliable, fast connections with an outstanding level of service. Whether you're looking for an inexpensive account for occasional use or a full-fledged Internet service complete with web space and your own IP, Pittsburgh Connect services deliver! All accounts now include Newsgroup service to over 100,000 newsgroups. All connections are v.90 compliant.

New Free Plan!
200 Free Morning Minutes/Month
200 Free PM Minutes/Month
1100 Free Off-Peak Minutes/Month
Extra usage is only 1 Penny per Minute!
Free Plan Setup Fee = $9.95

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
united state
reply to LrdVader
said by LrdVader:
Yes, but Paypal demands direct access to your bank account. That, to me, is far more intrusive than giving someone my credit card number, and is the main reason I don't have a Paypal account and don't foresee having one anytime soon.

You can have paypal without giving up all your bank info, the only time you need to do that is if you want to be a "Verified" member and have higher spending limits etc. Otherwise you can just use a CC.

I've never given paypal my bank info
--

Erikw23

join:2001-04-06
Bryn Mawr, PA
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
I think Comcast always used to actually sell dialup for $20/month, but now it's gone, and has been for a while.

As far as I know (I've been with @Home since 2000), Comcast has never offered backup dialup.

Fat City
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia
said by Erikw23:

As far as I know (I've been with @Home since 2000), Comcast has never offered backup dialup.

@Home offered free dialup for travel and cable backup, but it certainly wasn't well known and you had to jump through hoops to get it.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
reply to Qumahlin
said by Qumahlin:
You can have paypal without giving up all your bank info, the only time you need to do that is if you want to be a "Verified" member and have higher spending limits etc. Otherwise you can just use a CC.

Don't they stop working after $100 in transactions unless you're verified? I could have sworn I read something about that somewhere on their site.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
united state
said by LrdVader:
said by Qumahlin:

Don't they stop working after $100 in transactions unless you're verified? I could have sworn I read something about that somewhere on their site.

If thats the case then the system must be majorly flawed because this past 2 weeks i've spent over 600 bucks via paypal.

the only thing me not being verified means is that I can't RECEIVE credit card payments to my paypal account.
--

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
said by Qumahlin:
If thats the case then the system must be majorly flawed because this past 2 weeks i've spent over 600 bucks via paypal.

the only thing me not being verified means is that I can't RECEIVE credit card payments to my paypal account.

Good to know, thanks! I've been avoiding Paypal like the plague because I wasn't willing to give up my bank account to them and I thought I didn't have a choice if I used them. It's been costing sites my business.

drew224

join:2004-01-13
Matteson, IL
reply to HiSpeeDGaMeR
I'm planning on getting Comcast as soon as they finishing upgrading my area, and I've been wondering about back-up dial-up. I saw someone recommended the juno free account with 10 hrs. a month. Does anyone know the per minute price if you go over? I searched their site and it didn't really say any where. I really don't wanna pay $10/month and only use it a couple times a year so I'd like to know if the per minute over 10 hrs fees are reasonable.

indysz
Premium
join:2003-07-26
Valparaiso, IN
reply to vizionblind
said by vizionblind:
they USED to I think

They did when it was att@home (before attbi) about 4 years or so ago... Maybe more.

LrdVader
Premium
San Diego, CA
reply to drew224
said by drew224:
I saw someone recommended the juno free account with 10 hrs. a month. Does anyone know the per minute price if you go over?

I don't believe there *is* a per minute overage price. I think the account's just disabled for the rest of the month. Netzero used to have an option to pay $19.95 for unlimited access for the rest of the month if you hit 10 hours, but that seems to have gone away when they merged with Juno.

If you want the option to occasionally go over 10 hours for a reasonable cost, check out Access-4-Free at »www.access4free.com. They charge $1/hr after 10 hours, with a maximum of $10 a month. Once you hit $10 (20 hours total), it's unlimited for the rest of the month. They also don't display ads, and thus don't require a special dialer.

drew224

join:2004-01-13
Matteson, IL
Sounds like a great deal. Thanks.