uniqs

ethics$
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

Proxomitron a Bust on IE6 Beta

A big thank you to ZX for doing all the foot work for everyone here. I honestly was a bit taken a back by the lack of the "thank you's" to him. He has done a tremendous a lot of work and all I saw was complaints from some people.

Anyway, after reading his posts, taking his default.cfg and utilizing it with IE 6.0 it didn't work. It has the same success rate as Web Washer. Most of the time it blocks things, but there are too things that sneak through. One thing it DID do better than Web Washer was block cookies on IE6.0.

Pop ups is the biggest challenge it had. While most of the sites were filtered, the log was pretty empty. All I got was

New Message Log Window....
Hash: AdList (U) 13:11
Hash: AdList (P) 8:13
Hash: JumpList (P) 7:3

In all of the browsing I've done with it with medium security and no restricted zones.

Needless to say, it's not Opera compatible either. Opera and Proxomitron were like oil and water.

Anyway, ZX has asked me personally to test this out with 6.0 and it's the least I can do with the amount of testing he has done for the rest of us.

IE6 DEFINITELY does things differently. From pop ups, to cookies, to index.dat files.

I use IE6 only for test purposes and advice others to do the same. Opera happens to be my browser with cookie pal for full proof browsing for now.

amark
join:2001-02-09

amark

I have IE6. You have to have the build where you go to Tools-Internet Options-Privacy Tab and go to advanced. There you have a cookie prompt. You hit prompt and Cookie Pal works. I use Poki's Pop Up Closer and that stops pop ups. Also Atguard's 2.2 works for Ad blocking as well as AdSubtract. All these works in that build.

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

said by amark:
I have IE6. You have to have the build where you go to Tools-Internet Options-Privacy Tab and go to advanced. There you have a cookie prompt. You hit prompt and Cookie Pal works.
You must have the new version? What build is your IE6? This was not allowed in the past, let me see if they have a new version.

EDIT: Nope, same version as me. Are you absolutely positive you are running Internet Explorer PUBLIC PREVIEW 6.0?!
[text was edited by author 2001-06-13 21:56:04]

amark

amark

It was a version I downloaded from another site.

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
join:1999-08-20
Portland, OR

meeow

MVM

Please tell us what version you have. If I can get Cookie Pal to work with IE6, I want to upgrade.
Which OS are you running?

amark

amark

2465 is version

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
Portland, OR

meeow to ethics$

MVM

to ethics$
Ethics, what version of IE6 do you have?
One more question if you will, Does Popki work on IE6?
I know you tested it, but I don't remember if it was on IE6 or not.
Thanks.

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

said by meeow:
Ethics, what version of IE6 do you have?
One more question if you will, Does Popki work on IE6?
I know you tested it, but I don't remember if it was on IE6 or not.
Thanks.

2462. Interesting that he has a newer version? And what site would have a newer version of IE than Microsoft?

And yes, Popki works flawlessly with IE 6.0.

amark

amark to meeow

to meeow
Yes I have been using it and wwworks fine

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell to ethics$

to ethics$
Ethics and I talked about this and we have a theory. You see, Proxo does not change anything in the OS or in the software. You can just copy/paste the files and run. We believe that since this is the case, Ethics simply left out the proxy information on the HTTP line: localhost port 8080, which was the reason why Proxo did not work. He'll confirm this later and get back to us.

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$ to amark

Premium Member

to amark
said by amark:
Yes I have been using it and wwworks fine
Can you tell me where you got the newer version from? URL?

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

FYI, I have checked the Proxo website and Yahoo groups archives, and it appears that Opera indeed does work with Proxo. The consistent comment made throughout the posts I have read all refer to checking the proxy settings.

Good luck, and thanks Ethics.

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
Portland, OR

meeow to ethics$

MVM

to ethics$
said by ethics:
2462. Interesting that he has a newer version? And what site would have a newer version of IE than Microsoft?
I did a google search on this build and found a download for it here;
»www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com ··· Beta.htm
I'm to chicken to try it though.

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

Yes, if I didn't have a test machine, I wouldn't try it either. But I will try it tonight.

Thanks ZX for the info, I will try the configuration with proxy and see how that works. If it works with Opera, that would be awesome since I consider Opera to be a superior product over IE.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

Opera, speaking of which, since you keep mentioning Opera, I am trying it again right now, and I really like the short cut functions the right click mousing offers. AND, at work, Opera is loading up web pages so fast, I cannot believe I'm at work!!

Now I just have to migrate over to Opera at home.

Actually I tried Opera about 3 or 4 months ago, and didn't like it. But now I do.

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

Opera has it's problems but the lack of some text lining up in say, ESPN site, is not reason enough for me to dump it to IE world.

The shortcut clicks are awesome and I will need to get Opera going at work since I am right-left clicking on IE realizing how crappy and primitive it is.

Glad you like it so far.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

Thanks for being a big advocate of the browser. I really like it. Previously, any browser I tried at work periodically caused pages to load very slowly. But since yesterday using Opera, it's been nothing less than fast.

amark

amark to meeow

to meeow
I have had previous version and uninstalled it because it had no cookie prompt.Been trying IE6 2465 and had no problems at all. Everything that I had with 5.5 works with this version. Cookie Pal,Popki, and Atguard, and Adsubtract before Atguard. Seems to work faster than 5.5 and alittle more stuff. Go for it.

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

Ok I tried the configuration changes ZX has told me about and I am not sure what the problem is now though but it WAS working in the beginning.

What started happening, and I had to quit Proxomitron all together since a bypass didn't even help.

When I go to a web site it started showing the code of the page instead of the page itself. For example, coming here, I got...

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:20:06 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24_01 (+mod_gzip/1.3.14.6e)
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html PrxRealOpen=window.open; function PrxNullWin(){this.window;} function PrxOpen(url,nam,atr){return(new PrxNullWin());} window.open=PrxOpen;
function NoError(){return(true);} onerror=NoError;
function NoBox(txt){ return(1);} window.alert=NoBox; window.confirm=NoBox; window.prompt=NoBox;function submit(){return(NULL);}
function moveTo(){return true;}fun

ANd so on... Any idea?

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

Using which browser?
Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell to ethics$

to ethics$
Just downloaded and installed the latest Opera on my Win2k box. I setup the proxy info localhost port 8080, and ran a test on this forum and the adult website. I am glad to say no cookies or pop-ups came through at all, and this forum loaded without any errors (since I did not have it in the bypass list, you can see proxo filter some things out, and on the title bar, the word "(proxy)" is a filter that lets me know Proxo is working).

Here is a snapshot of Opera visiting this forum with Proxo enabled and proxy settings configured.

Success!

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

I figured it out...

Yep, works great on my opera (no more need for popki and cookiepal/webwasher) and also works great on the IE6preview edition.

I think I am set.

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
Portland, OR

meeow

MVM

Did you try the 2462 version of IE6 yet ethics?

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

said by meeow:
Did you try the 2462 version of IE6 yet ethics?
Yes, Meeow, that's what I had. I didn't try that with the newer version and it wouldn't make a difference.

What makes proxomitron different than any other blocking software (and why it works in almost all Win OS browsers) is that it doesn't rely on the browser.

What it does it literally filter out things as you load pages. So as soon as you load up any page, proxo reads the entire page, and blocks out any scripts, ads, banners, pop up code, vbs, javascript, etc...

I would check it out and test it. With ZX doing all of the foot work for us all you would need is his default. cfg file, and set up a proxy on the browser, which is a breeze.

Sure beats all of the hosts file additions, trusted/restricted zone set ups and all of that stuff.

I've tested with both Opera 5.11 and IE 6.Beta with the same result. Nothing, absolutely nothing got through.

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
Portland, OR

meeow

MVM

I have no idea how to set up a proxy.
Should I start a new thread for that?

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

proxset.zip
6,299 bytes
It is very easy.

What you would do in your IE is this:

TOOLS
Internet Options
Connections tab
Click onLAN Settings button
and then fill in what you see here:

You would ENABLE PROXY click on Proxomitron and put in [u]localhost[/u] for proxy address (it knows its port is 8080) and thats it.

Just remember to have proxomitron running before you start IE otherwise it won't work.
System

to ethics$

Anon

to ethics$
ehtics: the strange text you started seeing is proxomitrons "debug" mode
(en/disable in log window)

first the header your browser received from the server, then the source of the html

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

said by theSelkie:
ehtics: the strange text you started seeing is proxomitrons "debug" mode
(en/disable in log window)

first the header your browser received from the server, then the source of the html
Bingo!!!!!

I remember doing that too. Thanks much for the info!

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to ethics$

to ethics$
said by ethics:
It is very easy.

What you would do in your IE is this:

TOOLS
Internet Options
Connections tab
Click onLAN Settings button
and then fill in what you see here:

You would ENABLE PROXY click on Proxomitron and put in [u]localhost[/u] for proxy address (it knows its port is 8080) and thats it.

Just remember to have proxomitron running before you start IE otherwise it won't work.

I'm confused. I have 2K, and tried Proxomitron, I even started it first, and set up the proxy settings correctly, just like you showed. But it would never work, no ad's or pop ups were blocked. Webwasher on the other hand, worked right off the bat. It's a little irritating when one will work, and the other won't. Is it because I'm using IE6 build 2488?

ethics$
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

ethics$

Premium Member

Click for full size
irritating when one will work, and the other won't. Is it because I'm using IE6 build 2488?
[/QUOTE]

All of the builds and OS's mentioned is not a deterrent for proxo to work. It should work and I've seen that type of config work before. ZX has Win2K also.

What I would check is proxomitron, are you sure it's not misconfigured?