spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Knutsont

join:2003-12-10
Durham, NC
reply to digidawg

Re: DWL-G650 won' install; Dlink TS gives up!

I also have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and a G650 (HW B3) on a 624 (HW C). The 2.48 driver will not work at all in this machine. The driver seems incompatible with something. When it is installed and the D-link utility is running, the D-link system tray icon does not show. I can verify that the utility is running only via system manager. Also, the Windows utility cannot find any wireless networks while the D-link utility is running. Once I kill the D-link process, windows can again find wireless networks. My only solution was to drop back to the 2.46 driver. Everything works fine now, except for WPA. When I use WPA, the computer does not auto-connect after a reboot and the link is lost randomly which requires a disable/enable of the network device to get working again (a real pain). So, I am stuck using WEP and the 2.46 driver until D-link gets their stuff straight.

paul_v_elia

join:2004-03-28
Atlanta, GA
said by Knutsont:
I also have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and a G650 (HW B3) on a 624 (HW C). The 2.48 driver will not work at all in this machine... (SNIP)... My only solution was to drop back to the 2.46 driver. Everything works fine now, except for WPA... (SNIP)... When I use WPA, the computer does not auto-connect after a reboot and the link is lost randomly which requires a disable/enable of the network device to get working again (a real pain). So, I am stuck using WEP and the 2.46 driver until D-link gets their stuff straight.
I'm in the same boat with my Windows 2000 SP4 on an HP Omnibook XE2 with 256MB SDRAM. I have a revision B of the DWL-G650 card; not sure about 1, 2, 3, or 4 hardware, will have to check next time I unplug. I have backed down to the 2.42 driver. I use Super-G and WEP, and I change the WEP key every couple of days, made easy by a little utility I cobbled together. I'm not up for a Windows reinstall to get this driver installation corrected. What a suggestion! Who has the time?

I'm not sure but I think the non Super-G default drivers from the CD worked just as fast if not faster than 2.42. Hopefully newer drivers down the road will allow us to get on the WPA bandwagon.

Kal326

@mchsi.com
I am in the same boat, i know its not a hardware issue. I dual boot my laptop and I installed the latest 2.48 drivers under win2k sp4 and it does not find my AP anymore. However I can boot into WinXP using the original drivers off the cd and it works just fine. In the process of reinstalling the original CD drivers now for Win2k. Will post the results.

Kal326

@mchsi.com
Yep just as I suspected the original WPA suppliment and drivers work like a charm. I am using HW revision B3 on the configuration utility Utility version is 2.36, Driver version is 1.2.0.1 Im going to try and update to the newer drivers again and see what happens.